Abortion to become legal.....

Part of the populace. It's a controversial issue everywhere and this is probably not the time to add another social public project. Argentina is not in a good place to pay... I wish a lot of these famous people pushing for this would open a charity to help poor women find a decent doctor (here or in a neighboring country.)

The public assisted in vitro should be done away with as well.

the general populace want these rights......

I believe that family is still more important in Argentina than it is in countries like the US and that there remains widespread disapproval of abortion. Even if legalized I don't think that people will adopt the nonchalant attitude of many Americans who see it as a kind of birth control. I suspect too that those who have had abortions in Argentina are ashamed of having taken the "easy" way out.

Part of the populace. It's a controversial issue everywhere and this is probably not the time to add another social public project. Argentina is not in a good place to pay... I wish a lot of these famous people pushing for this would open a charity to help poor women find a decent doctor (here or in a neighboring country.)

The public assisted in vitro should be done away with as well.

Agree entirely. In my opinion. the national Ministry of Health should implement a sex education program at all the schools (public and private non-sectarian) for students between the ages of 10 and 18 that covers a wide range of topics, including STDs, puberty, healthy relationships, contraception, and sexual orientation. This type of initiative would function in tandem with that age group receiving annual preventive health exams. Which would include making available to them all forms of contraception at no cost thru the public hospital system and state-funded neighborhood clinics.

This is where many people get tripped up by media coverage.

If you see constant news and Facebook posts about 200,000+ people in front of the congress building calling for legal abortion, it's easy to think, "Wow... that's a lot of people! This must be what the majority of people want!"

Yet, people forget there are a) ~39.8 million other people out there who may be for or not for abortion and b) other parts of Argentina besides the more progressive Buenos Aires. While not as conservative as it once was, Argentina is still a traditional, catholic country. I'd be shocked if the majority of the population is pro-choice. But who knows.

Personally, I'm pro-choice. But how can this country fund more social programs? They can't fund the ones they've got now.

I believe that family is still more important in Argentina than it is in countries like the US and that there remains widespread disapproval of abortion. Even if legalized I don't think that people will adopt the nonchalant attitude of many Americans who see it as a kind of birth control. I suspect too that those who have had abortions in Argentina are ashamed of having taken the "easy" way out.

1) I don't know of anyone in the US or anywhere who thinks of abortion as a kind of birth control.
2) If someone is so ill educated and irresponsible to consider it as birth control, there is no way that someone should be raising a child.
3) As always, if you aren't in favor of abortion, don't have one. It really is very simple
4) Also, are you so naive as to think it doesn't exist now in Argentina. Those with money go to other countries. Those without take pills to induce a miscarriage or resort to more extreme measures.

1) I don't know of anyone in the US or anywhere who thinks of abortion as a kind of birth control.
2) If someone is so ill educated and irresponsible to consider it as birth control, there is no way that someone should be raising a child.
3) As always, if you aren't in favor of abortion, don't have one. It really is very simple
4) Also, are you so naive as to think it doesn't exist now in Argentina. Those with money go to other countries. Those without take pills to induce a miscarriage or resort to more extreme measures.

1) If abortion prevents the birth of a baby why wouldn't it be considered a form of birth control?
2) Anyone who considers abortion a form a of birth control shouldn't even be having (unprotected) sex.
3) I promise I'll never have an abortion (whether I'm in favor of it or not).
4) I agree completely.

Certainly you may speak for yourself regarding your opinion about the importance of family in your country. However I believe that family is more important to people in the United States than in Argentina. My proof is that I and other people I know in the US do absolutely everything in their power to take care of their family. In Argentina, many people spoil their children rotten and whine and complain about what they and their families don’t have instead of going out and doing something about it. What’s worse is they teach their children here to be just as complacent as they are.

Back