Aduana concerns

Would you happen to know if it's safe to bring containers filled with furniture into Buenos Aires port when you don't have direct surveillance of the goods and need them transporting to one's domicile or whether there's a way round this dilemma?
If you use a customs broker like Dinamo International Movers your goods will be delivered to your door.

Please note that Alpinista was answering a question related to actually bringing items on a plane with the goal of avoiding paying import fees.

Everything you ship in a container will be subject to customs fees unless, as I previously noted, you bring in the container within six months of obtaining temporary residency (if that applies to you).

PS: If the container arrives before you obtain residency, the aduana will hold it until you pay the customs fees or, after you get the residency, they will charge you daily storage fees.

Last edited:
Thank you Alpinista. Would you happen to know if it's safe to bring containers filled with furniture into Buenos Aires port when you don't have direct surveillance of the goods and need them transporting to one's domicile or whether there's a way round this dilemma?
A couple of years ago I was looking into that. In our case it was so expensive that in the end we sold our stuff in Europe and then bought again here. At that time Argentina was (and probably still is) one of the most expensive places for container shipping. The container shipping costs were at that time roughly 15k USD. If this is still the case, then I would say the value of the goods has to be well above USD 50k to justify such a cost.

Even if you are on an expat relocation program I would rather ask my company for a compensation and buy here again. If you come from the US, of course you also need to consider the different voltage system. Apart from being very expensive I believe it is also quite time consuming until your things are cleared by the customs.

Really the only advantage of shipping stuff would have been to bring my Volvo here and sell it after a while with some profit (at my time it was possible to bring the car below a certain value - I believe it was 15k USD - custom free to Argentina).
If you use a customs broker like Dinamo International Movers your goods will be delivered to your door.

Please note that Alpinista waas answering a question related to bringing items on a plane.

Everything you ship in a contaainer will be subject to customs fees unless, as I previously noted, you bring in the contaainer within six monthss of obtaining temporary residency.

If the container arrives before you obtain residency, the aduana will hold it until you pay the customs fees or, after you get the residency, they will charge you daily storage fees.
Agree.

Generally speaking I would say that probably 95% of the people are being better off if they don't ship stuff here and rather sell there / buy here again.

I moved back from the States last year. I brought a bunch of boxes but it wasnt a huge moving. Three of my big boxes have been opened and checked. Some things arrived dented and two pieces of furniture scratched (and one of the cabinet table's side, crushed and broken).

IMG_6044.jpg

From the states my container took approx 3.5mo. Everything arrived fine.

I didn't pay for it and have no idea of the cost.
I moved back from the States last year. I brought a bunch of boxes but it wasnt a huge moving. Three of my big boxes have been opened and checked. Some things arrived dented and two pieces of furniture scratched (and one of the cabinet table's side, crushed and broken).

View attachment 7855
Did they deliver door to door Mercy? Is it possible to insure against such damage?

Did they deliver door to door Mercy? Is it possible to insure against such damage?

Several pieces of my furniture were damaged but I can't say if it was shipping, customs, or the folks moving it into my house so I didn't mention it here. Luckily, since I move a lot I don't really care about this furniture. If you have family heirlooms or really expensive stuff I would caution about sending it. At least where I live quality furniture is non existent and craftsmanship for repair is not that great. In this case I just took the damage settlement agreed between myself and the moving company. The moving company did try to send people to my home to repair the furniture but I didn't see the point in getting tied up in the repair system and be dependent on someone else for the return of my furniture.

Like Jblaze, I cant say if it was the shipping, customs, or the people moving it into my house. Who knows...It is not an expensive cabinet table, though. So, I dont even care about it. Actually, I fixed and still can use it.

Back