Advice needed - receiving parcels from UK

LondresPelucas

Registered
Hey.
I wondered whether anyone could possibly help with some info on import taxes?

I need to get some personal effects sent over from the UK..nothing of significant value..contact lens (3mths worth) and cosmetics etc.

I struggled to find comprehensive information when I was living in Brasil other than it can be potentially risky and taxes maybe imposed.
I did however manage to receive 2 parcels without incident but have read that sending items to Argentina can at times be problematic.

Does anyone have any advice with regards to having personal items sent over from the UK?

Unfortunately I can't afford to use DHL etc and no one I know is planning to visit anytime soon mores the pity!

Many thanks in advance
LP

get it sent registered from the uk and hope that it doesn't get stopped in retiro otherwise you'll have a 2-4 hour wait for your item and possibly some tax.

Don't use DHL/courier as you will always end up paying £££ in import duties.

Keep it light. I think if it's under 1.5 kilos it can go to your door, otherwise it goes to retiro. Don't put anything medical on the customs label or it goes to ezeiza customs. Even contact lenses might be considered medical. Best put "candy", "soap" or something equally innocuous.

hi, I've had packages arrive and others go missing from the UK whether they were registered or not; recently had a better run on non regesitered packages. Virtually all of this has been presents for my children over the years btw, just a few tshirts and books. I have had stuff held up in EZE as well, and some packages sent back to the UK after like 6 months. I was requested to pay duty on baby clothes sent from the UK, and also for childrens books (English books) when there is no duty on books anywhere in the World as far as I know. That was pretty f*****g sad. I have argued it over the phone with customs, not getting a result from a miserable brainwashed lowlife. Some stuff held up at EZE appeared after more than 1 year mysteriously and I paid no duty. Most packages are torn open, and the contents have been handled.

On a different note, I also receive some courier mail from the UK, by Fedex but it is only papers and it always arrives within 2 days. I have had poor response or slow delivery rates from the other major couriers to and from Argentina, and tend to use Fedex.

Surely you can get a contact lens prescription done here, that will save you a lot of bother. As for the cosmetics... can't that be found here or is it too difficult/ specific... don't want to pry into your private life like issit.

At the end of the day if it is that important and doesn't weigh much I suspect, your best and safest bet will be courier. At least it's not gonna disappear that way. Maybe declare the cosmetics as samples or whatever.

hope this helps some, later

Markgeezer said:
I also receive some courier mail from the UK, by Fedex but it is only papers and it always arrives within 2 days. I have had poor response or slow delivery rates from the other major couriers to and from Argentina, and tend to use Fedex.
. . . . .
If it is that important and doesn't weigh much I suspect, your best and safest bet will be courier. At least it's not gonna disappear that way. Maybe declare the cosmetics as samples or whatever.

I use the US Post Office's cheapest air service that is trackable, and I've never had problems. Sometimes the Correo delivers to the door, no charge. Sometimes they deliver a note telling me to go to the local post office and pay duty, after which they deliver the parcel. Occasionally they tell me to go to Retiro, which is a hell hole where you lose a half day, but you walk out with your parcel, often paying nothing more than the service fee, pre-Customs.

I have also used DHL for urgent documents without problems, both in- and out-bound, but they're VERY expensive.

I have had nothing but problems with Fedex, whose agency here is some local franchise that Fedex Worldwide doesn't control. I once ordered same-day pickup of a Fedex envelope, and they didn't arrive in 4 days, despite my twice-daily calls. I finally took it to their office, where they charged me a rate much higher than I was quoted online when I ordered the pickup.

For an urgent package that Fedex was supposed to deliver from the US in 2 days, I waited a week until my doorbell rang. (Online tracking showed it awaiting Customs approval after the second day.) I had chosen Fedex because the US agent promised that they dealt with Customs clearance and delivered directly to my door.

I went down to find someone not dressed in any uniform who claimed to be from Fedex. Since I was expecting something from Fedex, I opened the door, even though I had my doubts.

The agent told me to sign a form in order to receive my package, which I did. He then handed me an envelope with barely legible xeroxed pages telling me where to go in Ezeiza to deal with Customs. I called Fedex in the US to complain and ask for help, but they told me I had already received the package because I had signed for it. They even sent me my signature by email.

A family emergency struck the next day, and I left the country. When I returned a month later, I asked my favorite remisero to take me to EZE, knowing how useful he can be with bureaucrats.

We arrived and found the site - in the hangar zone of the airport, inaccessible by any public transportation. I asked for the Fedex office and was told there was none there. So I showed them the contents of the Fedex envelope, they looked up the hand-written number, and advised me that I needed to pay U$ 400 in storage fees before they could withdraw the package and present it to Customs.

God bless Carlos the Remisero, who stepped in and argued that I hadn't been in Argentina so I couldn't have withdrawn the package earlier. He kept this up until they bumped us to the encargado of the area, who examined my passport and made a deal for U$ 100. Plus the duty, plus paying Carlos, it was a really expensive shipment. No more Fedex for me.

while I've never had to go to customs or pay taxes on any of the parcels I've received from the UK, less than 2 thirds of them have ever arrived!
Cosmetics are particularly difficult (all of those parcels went missing). Now I just don't bother. You can get contact lenses here (acuvue, etc) - cosmetics less so but I stock up over there and get by with what's available here.
I find that international signed-for and just regular mail are the most reliable out of all of the unreliable options... And never put cosmetics or creams or makeup on the package...Always something boring like "scarf" or "candy"...

Repost from similar thread :

Out of 7 gifts to my partner sent from Canada to Córdoba by regular unregistered mail , 4 never made it, mysteriously disapeared in the mail system, including an mp3 player conceiled in a dvd case.

Registered mail is too expensive from Canada.

Luckily, we are, for the time being, flying back and forth every 2-3 months, so we just don't bother mailing anything that will be handled by Correo Argentino. (unless of course its Canada Post the problem....)

I get things sent "registered" by the normal mail system from the States and Australia and they always arrive in 2-3 weeks with no customs problems and nothing missing. Every single FedEx pkg I've received has been opened and things stolen, AND they've made me pay a 50% import tax on the declared value of the goods.

I just came across this information from an old thread.

I was told the cut off point for retiro is half a kilo. I now use my local poste restante, you just have to go to your local correo and ask for their poste restante address. Have the parcel sent there in your name, then you just go and collect the parcel pay $4.50 for the service and present passport or dni. For me, it saved having to go miles away if I wasn't in when they knocked on the door. You do have to guess when it will have arrived though. Have done this successfully 4 or 5 times and there's never a wait at my constitucion correo.

Has anyone every tried shipping something from a country in South America to Argentina?

I am looking at shipping 2 10 lb boxes of cacao butter and cacao nibs from Ecuador. Am I dreaming? Will it just get stopped and seized at customs?

Would it be better to send a bunch of smaller packages of half a kilo?

Back