Advice Needed

ccurrie

Registered
Hi my name is Chris I am 31 and live in Santa Fe, New Mexico in the United States. I am looking at moving to BA with my dog Stas after returning to America having been in Europe for four years and needing a change from here. I've tried asking my friends in BA but I haven't heard back so please excuse me if you've heard these questions a million times before and I'll organize them in bullet points to make things easier.

• I will be traveling to BA with my dog who is a 33 kg male Briard. While I've heard that BA is super dog friendly I did have some concerns. Since he's too big to travel in the cabin of the plane (if for example I want to go to Mendoza or Bariloche) can he travel in a sleeping car in a train with me? Is it difficult to find a furnished apartment which will accept dogs? My budget is about $2.000 USD/month with utilities but I am afraid that might be too low.
  • I've read about the Rentista visa but didn't know much about it so I was hoping the forum would know. Is it true that I just need to show income of 8000 Argentine Pesos a month or around $576 USD? What documentation is necessary? Are paychecks or proof of overall monthly deposits enough (at least $6.000/month so hopefully that would work) or do I require a minimum balance in my bank account? I'd like to teach English in BA simply as a means of getting to know people and having something to do. Would this allow me to do that? Is the visa a long term multi year one or only lasts a year at a time?
  • Does anyone know any English language schools who will make an offer in advance for employment or I need to go to BA first to arrange everything?
  • Does anyone know of a good agency renting apartments out? The only one I know of which is ApartmentsBA has morphed into luxury housing for executives so what before was $2.000 USD/month is now $6.000-8.000/month. I am looking for a place which is ideally at least 100 square metres, in Palermo or another good district, fully furnished with 1/2 bedrooms and 1.5/2.5 bathrooms, a patio/backyard/roof terrace if possible, and finally a security system and guards if it's in a building.
  • Is there a 24 English speaking emergency veterinary hospital?
  • Is security, specifically home burglaries, a real concern? I have a dog and would be worried about him.
  • Are all medicines in the United States available in Argentina (it doesn't matter whether they're in the original brand form or a generic version)? Also are there private hospitals and insurance offering comparable care to the United States or Western Europe?
  • Due to inflation is it possible to have USD bank accounts and withdraw say $4.000 USD/transaction in cash? Also is it possible to have contracts written in USD instead of Argentine Pesos (that way I could ask for a discount and get the price locked in long term)? Finally how does the blue rate work and do I withdraw money from a cash machine at a penalty to the international rate and how do I obtain the best rate using both cash and card.

No pets on public trains or public transport, sorry! But there are pet taxi (taxi mascota) and private transport (like minivan) where you two can travel together. You can buy him a full ticket if you want him on a seat by himself, or half the ticket if he stays on your lap.

Please research the database- Good luck.

Responding in depth to your questions on immigration, housing, health care % insurance :rolleyes: , pet care, employment , foreign exchange, medication, travel, banking ,etc would take some time?

ccurie:
Follow Rich One's advice about researching the database for the answers to most of your questions.
Just one word of advice from a fellow "American" to avoid very possible culture clash in Argentina and all of Latin America.
It would always be best to refer to the U.S. as just that the U.S. or the U..S. A. NOT simply America.It is offensive to most Latin Americans.
In Argentina there is a saying,"Somos todos americanos hasta la Patagonia----We are all Americans down until Patagonia"
I guess these questions were all legit Franklly,when I first saw your post,I thought it was a "put on".

In my experience everything you ask and more is possible here....if you know the right people. ;)

I have a contact that does this type of research work for a fee. PM if interested.

Back