Advice on opening a cocktail bar

iStar, I think you can reasonably chalk at least some of those up to vacation. Lots of places close their doors for a few weeks in January or February, and some even close for the whole summer.

EliA said:
iStar, I think you can reasonably chalk at least some of those up to vacation. Lots of places close their doors for a few weeks in January or February, and some even close for the whole summer.

I have seen ones with signs that say on vacation and will reopen on XX date.

The closings I'm talking about are spaces completely cleared out and the sign FOR RENT on display.

Clothing stores, hair salons and cafes.

Maybe because Arenales street is really expensive, so a little store cannot pay the rent. In the suburbs (and in all other places out of the posh areas) stores thrive.

Thanks to everybody for their comments and advice. The idea came up walking in Palermo with my barman brother and seeing a rent sign in front of a nice place , and finding out the rent was only 2500ars for 50sqm in good shape, very near the hot spots of Palermo, but not too near. I can beleive its not the easiest thing to do, paperwork permits bribes etc, but it would be the same in Rome, actually worse and much much more expensive.
But it would be nice to have a bar, with good drinks at reasonable prices, introduce the aperitivo habit, and be a meeting point for friends foreigners and not.
Anyway maybe I should stick to my profession and open a boutique :)

beba said:
Anyway maybe I should stick to my profession and open a boutique :)

As a former owner of retail clothing stores in Park City, Utah and Chicago for 25 years and a bar owner of less than one year (between retail shops) I think that is a very good idea.

Hello,
Very exciting business proposal just waiting the right Argentine restaurateur and business partner. Or Expat with CUIT, DNI, Ingresos Brutos, certificado de domicilio and fluent Spanish etc.

I am in the process of opening a new upscale fully licensed vegetarian restaurant. I would like to base it on a healthy eating style café but the interior with be simple and fresh giving Vegetarianism a new look in Buenos Aires.

I have fully researched and searched Palermo, looking for the best locations taking into account high turnover objectives and ROI, and am excited to say I have found one! The restaurant itself needs little work, and with a few interior changes is ready to serve.

I am looking for an Argentine business partner (or Expat as described above) for two reasons. Firstly, I feel it’s important to have a social and cultural awareness of the people I want to visit the restaurant. Secondly, I am an expat living in Buenos Aires and have been for over a year now. Due to the complexity of the starting a restaurant in Buenos Aires, I need someone who already has good knowledge of what needs to be done and how it is possible.

I am looking for a partner and restaurateur who has the following attributes and qualifications:

·degree educated
·owns an Argentine national or dual Argentine Passport. (or Expat as described above)
·owns a property in BsAs, has access to garantia – this is at no risk to you as the entire rent (or purchase) for the restaurant can be paid up front
·has a proven and successful business / entrepreneurial background in BsAs or elsewhere preferably as a restaurateur or bar, hotel owner.
·has an in-depth knowledge of the complexities, red tape and who knows the business processes and practices involved in opening and actually keeping a business up running successfully here in BsAs.
·Has traveled widely and are acutely aware and knowledgeable of European high standards of service and top quality fresh innovative products - think Parisian, London, and Mediterranean.
·a hard working and puritanical contemporary worth ethic
·a natural interest in healthy fine dining.
·an eye for good clean design (shabby chic arty clean in this case)
·Knowledge of contemporary marketing.
·Access to around $50K USD cash for your buy in and start up costs. But this can be discussed.
·Sense of humour and charismatic

Please respond with CV and cover letter highlighting why you think you fit this particular glove. To - paul(at)vegetarianabuenosaires.com

About Arenales street, now less bus lines run on Arenales.

If every entrepreneur thought in advance that their enterprises will not succeed, none would open any store in the first place. An optimistic spirit is needed, along with a good analysis of the different options. It is sad to see how advice can bring you down sometimes

Thecontractman said:
Hello,
Very exciting business proposal just waiting the right Argentine restaurateur and business partner. Or Expat with CUIT, DNI, Ingresos Brutos, certificado de domicilio and fluent Spanish etc.

I am in the process of opening a new upscale fully licensed vegetarian restaurant. I would like to base it on a healthy eating style café but the interior with be simple and fresh giving Vegetarianism a new look in Buenos Aires.

I have fully researched and searched Palermo, looking for the best locations taking into account high turnover objectives and ROI, and am excited to say I have found one! The restaurant itself needs little work, and with a few interior changes is ready to serve.

I am looking for an Argentine business partner (or Expat as described above) for two reasons. Firstly, I feel it’s important to have a social and cultural awareness of the people I want to visit the restaurant. Secondly, I am an expat living in Buenos Aires and have been for over a year now. Due to the complexity of the starting a restaurant in Buenos Aires, I need someone who already has good knowledge of what needs to be done and how it is possible.

I am looking for a partner and restaurateur who has the following attributes and qualifications:

·degree educated
·owns an Argentine national or dual Argentine Passport. (or Expat as described above)
·owns a property in BsAs, has access to garantia – this is at no risk to you as the entire rent (or purchase) for the restaurant can be paid up front
·has a proven and successful business / entrepreneurial background in BsAs or elsewhere preferably as a restaurateur or bar, hotel owner.
·has an in-depth knowledge of the complexities, red tape and who knows the business processes and practices involved in opening and actually keeping a business up running successfully here in BsAs.
·Has traveled widely and are acutely aware and knowledgeable of European high standards of service and top quality fresh innovative products - think Parisian, London, and Mediterranean.
·Access to around $50K USD cash for your buy in and start up costs. But this can be discussed.

Please respond with CV and cover letter highlighting why you think you fit this particular glove. To - paul(at)vegetarianabuenosaires.com

Ok so lets get this straight.......you are looking for someone to basically involve themselves with your business, a person who has all of the requirements to be able to legally get it up and running, such as Ingresos Brutos, DNI, a property to put as garantia, excellent taste, work ethic, legal residence, oh and don't forget these other things which you will need 1) A very very well versed person to take care of your habilitación (municipal operating licence), an SRL (LLC) to protect your assets, IVA, and on top of all that you want them to contribute $50K U$D??

Dorothy, you are not in Kansas anymore!!

Why would someone give you all of that and then contribute $50K U$D as well, what is the incentive, if anything you have to give them a share in your business just for contributing what you ask for plus pay something to the person who provides you with these indispensable items.

It is very difficult to start, and run a successful business here but it CAN be done, you just have to be realistic!

Good luck!

Thecontractman said:
Hello,

·degree educated

Hi Paul,

I have several questions.

Have you ever actually owned or operated a restaurant before?

Are you really in the process of opening this restaurant (and in need of additional cash and expertise) or are you still in the planning stage?

Why would anyone with the knowledge, experience, and the capital you are seeking want to have you as a partner?

Back