advice on student visa

Kaz said:
Hi, thanks to everybody that replied to my original question. Fortunately I got my son sorted out in university, once he gets the paperwork from uni then he fortunately can apply for his residencia. I am British, have been here almost six years living illegally. Now I want to apply for my residencia for myself an my daughter who is 17, so that she doesn't have any problems in two years when she wants to go to uni. I have got my birth certificate (full versoin) with the apostle and I know the routine of getting it translted, and also that I need to go for my antecedentes. The immigrations page says antecedentes for where you have resided for the last six years, so I presume I can only get from Buenos Aires. However, also the immigration page states various reasons to gain residency and unfortunately I do not fit into any of the categories. I work online for Canadian, Australia, American and English companies and receive my wage via virtual debit card and get my money out of the ATMs. Does anyone have any idea if I would be entitled to residency as I have been here six years, or how I could go about this process.

Unfortunately I cannot show proof of income as I work for various companies it would be too costly for me to have my wages transferred into my HSBC account that I have here at $65 per transfer. All I could do was print out a copy of my statement which shows what goes into my account either in dollars or sterling.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Karen

Okay: a couple of things.

First I'd suggest that you read the many, many threads on applying for citizenship and see if that route might not be more appropriate for you. In an earlier post BajoCero2 said that he would be away for a few days, but I think SteveinBsAs is probably around somewhere and both may be able to answer questions that might arise from your reading of the threads. Note that applying for Argentine citizenship will not take away your British citizenship: what it will mean is that Britain will still support you in every way they support their citizens except in disputes you may have with Argentina and Argentina will support you in every way they support their citizens except in disputes you have with the UK.

Second: if you do have further questions, I strongly suggest you tag them onto a more appropriate subject or start a new thread. This question is no longer about student visas and may be skipped past by the very people who could help you. The only reason I saw this is because I'm a sad obsessive who reads everything!

Karen, If you apply for a resident visa at this point (and don't qualify) you could face a deportation order.

Your best bet is to go for citrizenship.

As long as you can show that you are making an "honest living" you shouldn't have a problem regarding your income, though you will probably need to declare it and pay taxes on it in Argentina.

There may be a statute of limitations regarding back taxes, but you could end up owing taxes for previous years if AFIP has an agressive collection policy. Perhaps another member knows more about this.

Bajo_cero2 may be (physically) far away at the moment, but I see he is also with us (on line) right now.

He will probably add to this thread (again) soon.

In Argentina do as Argentines do. Do whatever you have to do, if you get caught you do it right. There is generally no negative repèrcutions for doing them wrong.
Do things "a la criolla" (half ass) and you will have no problems.
Burocracy can be a problem, but you try to avoid them at all costs.
For further advise in regards to Argentine Burocracy check with El Viejo Bizcacha.

Kaz said:
Hi, thanks to everybody that replied to my original question. Fortunately I got my son sorted out in university, once he gets the paperwork from uni then he fortunately can apply for his residencia. I am British, have been here almost six years living illegally. Now I want to apply for my residencia for myself an my daughter who is 17, so that she doesn't have any problems in two years when she wants to go to uni. I have got my birth certificate (full versoin) with the apostle and I know the routine of getting it translted, and also that I need to go for my antecedentes. The immigrations page says antecedentes for where you have resided for the last six years, so I presume I can only get from Buenos Aires. However, also the immigration page states various reasons to gain residency and unfortunately I do not fit into any of the categories. I work online for Canadian, Australia, American and English companies and receive my wage via virtual debit card and get my money out of the ATMs. Does anyone have any idea if I would be entitled to residency as I have been here six years, or how I could go about this process.

Unfortunately I cannot show proof of income as I work for various companies it would be too costly for me to have my wages transferred into my HSBC account that I have here at $65 per transfer. All I could do was print out a copy of my statement which shows what goes into my account either in dollars or sterling.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Karen

If you have been living for so long, it makes no sense to jeopardy yourself applying for a residency.

Citizenship is a better option with no risk for you.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10837-argentine-citizenship-foreigners-34.html

As I already mentioned, the requirements are very low. However, judges enforce an abolished law that request for legal residency and legal work. The abolished requirement can be by passed with proper legal representation.

Regarding you honest way of living, it can be evidence with 2 witnesses, so, not big deal.

You are going to need the certificate of clean criminal records after 7 months of strarting your case.

I suggest you take a look at my website.

Regards

Back