Advice please

Claytondvs

Registered
Good day all
Please I need a little advice, I have been an expat for about five years. I need a change of environment. I am a qualified German Brew master and Project Manager with my line of work in the Telecommunication industry (2007 – 2010). I am currently working as a Manager in a guest house since 2007 and freelance photography for a large Retail group which is South African Based company with stores in Africa. I am a single white South African male.
Where would I start looking for a job that is will give a reasonable income to live off from the information given ?

Thanking you in advanced
Clayton de Villiers - Smith

You are an expat in Argentina?
It is not easy to get work in Argentina but I suppose you start by applying to breweries.

Write more specific thread subjects.

And how exactly is the color of your skin relevant? You would think a person that comes from a country which such a racist history as South Africa, would be a little more careful in how he phrases things.

Basically, you should look for any job that can be done over the internet (for foreign companies) : translations, programming, graphic design, etc.

xibeca said:
Write more specific thread subjects.

And how exactly is the color of your skin relevant? You would think a person that comes from a country which such a racist history as South Africa, would be a little more careful in how he phrases things.

Well, he was just willing to make it clear that he was a white South African and, honestly, I can't find anything wrong in that. But it seems to have bothered you.

Anyway, we're all living in a country where you will find more racists that in Africa, and where black people are seen as freaks (and I do know what I'm talking about, right?) so what's the point in all this criticism???

Sorry, I don't get it.

cheshire_cat said:
Anyway, we're all living in a country where you will find more racists that in Africa, and where black people are seen as freaks (and I do know what I'm talking about, right?) so what's the point in all this criticism??? .

chesire, as an argentine guy i find your comment a little offensive too...haha, no, really: this country, as many others was founded by immigrants...if you think argentina has heavier racial issues than south africa, well, i guess you've never been to south africa. plus, argentina has never had separate toilettes or bus seats for bolivians, peruvians or paraguayans (if you want to make a paralellisn between black people in the us and "unwanted" immigrants here).
i don't mean to start an argument, i just don't see argentina as a racist country, at least no more than the next one.

i hate to say it i find quite a few argentinians (especially small shopkeepers!!) pretty racist. i don't want to generalize, i simply have plenty of anecdotal evidence. i have heard so many racist comments about bolivians and peruvians. and OMG do i remember all those comments about "el negrito" when obama was elected, and the worry that now the blacks in the u.s. might get uppity....

Anyone remembers the case of this woman judge who got her car towed away ?
She came to an office to get it back and started insulting the two -very patient- women clerks "todas negras ahi, ni una sola rubia", "aqui mando yo", etc.

Of course, she was herself very far from being blonde.

I didn't meet a lot of racism against black people... But there are so few here! (some can be mistaken for Brazilians).
But regarding the "anti-negros" (Bolivians, Peruvians,..) and the antisemitism, yes there's a problem. There's too an anti-Americanism (while some other Argentineans love Americans).

Something that is not very well known = back in the mid 19th century, 30% of the Bs As population was black. They disappeared ("triple frontera" war + "conquista del desierto).

marcoslfc said:
chesire, as an argentine guy i find your comment a little offensive too...haha, no, really: this country, as many others was founded by immigrants...if you think argentina has heavier racial issues than south africa, well, i guess you've never been to south africa. plus, argentina has never had separate toilettes or bus seats for bolivians, peruvians or paraguayans (if you want to make a paralellisn between black people in the us and "unwanted" immigrants here).
i don't mean to start an argument, i just don't see argentina as a racist country, at least no more than the next one.

So if there isn't so much racism here, what do "bolita", "paragua", "ponja", "negros", etc. mean? Why do minorities only find "trabajo en negro"? Why do you people grab your things tightly when somebody wearing a cap comes across your way? Are your aborigins treated better? There are no separate toilets, but there are separate queues for banks' clients and for people who get money through a "plan social". And I could go on, but it's nonsense. I've found out very frequently that Argentinians walking around Buenos Aires, esp. downtown and Once, Congreso and Constitución, are always unwilling to watch the human misery inhabiting the streets. I can only say that pretending to be blind to social differences is even worse than being a racist.

Back