Aerolineas Argentina

marksoc said:
it is like comparing Greyhound to an Argentinean bus).

I dont think so.. Argentino long haul buses are probably the best i have ever travelled on.. they usually are on time departing/arriving.. Why cant areolineas do the same ?????

marksoc said:
About being overstaffed: It is ok with me, the objective of a state company is not to make a lot of money, is to offer a service and if it is possible to lower unemployment.

If it was my taxes that the gov was spending on a company that loses money, losts of money, and is not reliable, and has to many staff for that size - which means the staff are not very productive... i would not be happy.. Actually it is the taxes that i pay that the gov is using to prop up areolineas !!!!!!!

the past few trips my husband's had to do to chile he had to fly Aerolineas -- every flight, both ida y vuelta have been delayed. Last time he was supposed to get home at 9pm on a Friday to Aeroparque, but Aerolineas changed his destination to Ezeiza and arrival time to 2:30 am -- he got home at 3:30 in the morning -- sucks when you're travelling for business and the airline ends up sucking away part of your weekend.

We went to Mendoza on them at the end of Feb -- almost didn't make our flight there because the airport was a fricking disaster, they were completely disorganised, after waiting in a line of only 10 people to check-in for over 1hr30 mins, the woman working the line suddenly decided, forget it, she was shutting down her line -- does anyone else offer to help you? No. It's every man for himself. We arrived for our flight well over 2.5 hrs early -- for a bloody domestic flight! We had to fight our way through and yell at so many people to put us on the flight, and ended up having to literally run from the check-in desk with all of our bags, computers etc to our gate into the aircraft and the door was shut right behind us (that's a real fun exercise when you're 5 mos pregnant....)

On the way back, we again got to the airport early -- about 2 hrs or so. When we walk in the guy at check-in had no one in front of us and calls us over, looks at our tickets, tells us our flight is cancelled. No more flights until the morning. We beg and plea to see if he can't get us on the one leaving literally right then... fortunately this guy was nice (Mendocinos always seem much more laid back), saw I was preggers and squeezed us into the last few seats on the plane -- which were in first class. So in that case, it worked out for us. But 1 flight out of the past 7 that have been taken does not a good airline make.

mobri1130 said:
They should also be making 'hay' of the fact that once the Kirchners nationalized the airlines they gave control of it to their son Maximo. I mean really, WTF?

True, what do they say about putting the fox in charge of the chicken-coop.
I wonder if any of the money being spent actually ended up in the pockets of leading politicians and their families. It's really to bad the opposition is so weak and disorganized that we haven't heard more about this(or maybe they are just as bad). Hopefully this will be an issue brought up during the upcoming election campaigns.

marksoc said:
About being overstaffed: It is ok with me, the objective of a state company is not to make a lot of money, is to offer a service and if it is possible to lower unemployment.

From what I have seen here, the objective of the state company is to offer as many jobs as possible to lower unemployment ,... forget the money, forget the service, vote for the K.

ptolemy said:
From what I have seen here, the objective of the state company is to offer as many jobs as possible to lower unemployment ,... forget the money, forget the service, vote for the K.

Probably true but at a cost of over $100k per employee per year perhaps they could have found a more efficient way of going about it than keeping this financial black hole in business.

Flew them years ago from Santiago to BA to Santiago. Was my first trip to South America and my spanish was limited. But they were helpful and understood when I was trying to get on an earlier flight than mine and handled everything for me. Was actually an easier transition than I've had with most US airlines.

If we are to be fair about this, then a good deal of Aerolíneas' troubles are caused by serious problems with the civil radar system in BsAs - and AFAIK elsewhere in Argentina.

It is also very costly to send a plane via BsAs on the routes between e.g. Córdoba and Tucumán or Salta and Mendoza, twice the actual distance or more, but a direct route would have too few passengers for daily flights.

Keeping Aerolíneas alive on subsidized tickets for Argentinos is unquestionably a matter of national pride. Without subsidies, so few Argentinos could afford to fly, there would be very few domestic routes - probably none interprovince.

Also, no doubt Aerolíneas is in a bad financial shape, but it is definitively not alone.

During the last ten years many airlines worldwide have taken large losses and have been on the brink of bankrupcy (or over the edge), not only third and second tier airlines, but also some first tier lines.

What is the state of e.g. Varig (my old favorite between Europa and South America - I remember once I had 12 kg overweight and cash in hand but the Varig guy at check-in just said "but you are not overweight yourself" and gave the SA handwave = forget about it), Swissair, Mexicana, Sterling Airlines, Air America, Japan Airlines, ...?

Some R.I.P. and others taken over by others or "merged" a.k.a. taken over.

John.St said:
If we are to be fair about this, then a good deal of Aerolíneas' troubles are caused by serious problems with the civil radar system in BsAs - and AFAIK elsewhere in Argentina.

Really, is that why the LAN and Qantas flights i have taken always leave and arrive on time - or within 1/2 hour... Dont they all use the same radar system ??????

I flew with them this week from Bariloche to BA & have vowed to never fly them again. My return flight was cancelled at 9pm after making everyone wait 5 hours & lying about what the problem was & yelling at people. Totally unprofessional. What I really felt bad about was the tourists who at 9pm had to go get put up in a hotel. I will choose Lan next time.

davonz said:
Really, is that why the LAN and Qantas flights i have taken always leave and arrive on time - or within 1/2 hour... Dont they all use the same radar system ??????
Daily take off and landing numbers from BsAs (EZE + AEP)?

Aerolíneas:

LAN:

Qantas:

Back