AF: We went to extremes and lost the centrist vote

Well, his comments about Macri are right on the money, but the rest of what he says seems rather delusional to me.

Seriously, Alberto, you asked Macron what to do, and we're supposed to think well of you for this? As if the Yellow Vests were some evil force to be resisted? And Macron thought that tax cuts for the rich were something to which resistance was surprising and unreasonable?

This is the lamest of lame ducks.

Populism. They’ll say whatever it takes to get enough votes while they’ll do whatever it takes to make them and their friends rich or gainfully employed.

Simply put, if he weren’t apologizing to the IMF for being too “extreme” he’d be apologizing to the K voters for being too “centrist” (all the while blaming others for doing the same things he has done himself, or has previously supported, while blatantly ignoring his own wrongdoings in hope of re-election in 2023.)

Say what you will about Cristina, I may loathe her, but at least she has a brain. With Alberto I'm convinced he is the textbook definition of someone who has continuously failed upwards in life, getting where he is in spite of himself, not because of it.

Say what you will about Cristina, I may loathe her, but at least she has a brain. With Alberto I'm convinced he is the textbook definition of someone who has continuously failed upwards in life, getting where he is in spite of himself, not because of it.

I would guess that's probably true outside of academia.

I do suspect that in his classroom he's a competent professor. There are people like that, who are great in their place at university, but just hopeless in the real world beyond the campus. I have a stepsister like that, and I do respect her as a teacher. She speaks umpteen languages and has several advanced degrees, and is waaayyy smarter than I am, but in the real world she can barely tie her own shoes. And of her social graces we shall not speak.

I would guess that's probably true outside of academia.

I do suspect that in his classroom he's a competent professor. There are people like that, who are great in their place at university, but just hopeless in the real world beyond the campus. I have a stepsister like that, and I do respect her as a teacher. She speaks umpteen languages and has several advanced degrees, and is waaayyy smarter than I am, but in the real world she can barely tie her own shoes. And of her social graces we shall not speak.

Totally agree, he strikes me similarly. I've talked to people at parties/weddings/funerals/etc. and thought "Hmmm, this guy doesn't seem too bright, I wonder what he does for a living?" and then found out they're a doctor/lawyer/etc. I'm on the younger end of users on here, but at almost 30 I quickly learned that people's income/title/degrees do not confer an accurate reflection of their overall intelligence, work ethic, or worth as people.

I used to run some large retail stores and I had employees who were high school dropouts that worked harder, were brighter, and better people than any of the guys with bachelors or masters degrees, and they didn't work nearly as hard to get where they got in life. Alberto was over his head before COVID, and I think most people would agree he didn't rise to the occasion following it. Lenin famously said any cook should be able to run the state; a university professor on the other hand? This has proved to not be the case in our experience.

Back