Affordable Dolce Vita in Buenos Aires?

My advice was to start a business in Central America, not Argentina. Places like El Salvador and Nicaragua still work like Argentina once did.

Just come here for a visit like I did in 2006. If you want to take a risk after that, it's up to you.

You have a healthy guaranteed income. Give it a try if you feel it's the culture you want to live in. Been here about 6 months and plan to stay another year at least. It's a lot cheaper for what you get than Toronto. Come for a short period and don't lock yourself into a long term rental if you are worried.

Mike
www.talkwelisten.com

Come, put your feet up on a nice furnished apartment's table, and enjoy. You'll probably actually save money by living here as opposed to the US. People will probably scoff at my recommendation and give lots of reasons about how it's not real Argentina, but I love love love living in Palermo. I've lived in two parts of Palermo over the last 3 years, all great. I tried Caballito for about 7 months... best decision I made in a long time was coming back to Palermo. Love it.

Lastly, don't get hung up worrying about the inflation. Let us know when you come :).

I strongly disagree that eating out is the same cost as in the US/North America. It is considerably less expensive, especially when you factor in that taxes are not additional to the cost, tipping is 10% and a glass of house wine is usually cheaper than bottled water. I do not ever recall having a steak dinner with wine and a side for the equivalent of U$12 at dinner or U$7.50-10.00 at lunch. Not even in Vancouver where there are an extremely high number of restaurants per capita and dining costs are low compared to other centres.

I have been here for 7 months and noticed only modest increases in some costs since arrival, and dining costs have not budged with the exception of prices for meat items. The most extreme example of in increase that I have seen was a 5 peso increase for bife de lomo in one of my favourite restaurants. I have a beautifully-furnished 1 bedroom apartment in Palermo Soho 5 blocks from Alto Palermo mall for U$800/month, all-in except cleaning lady. And the cleaning lady charges only 15 pesos/hour.

The cost for taxis has skyrocketed in the last few months, and there have been definite increases over the past several years in the general cost of living caused by inflation, year by year. But to say that inflation is "skyrocketing" strikes me as fear-mongering. The moves have been incremental, and I don't believe that anyone fortunate enough to have an exit strategy should worry that expenses are going to "skyrocket" within the next 3 to 6 months.

I think you could live here quite comfortably if you manage your core accommodation expense and plant yourself in a neighbourhood where you won't need to take taxis everywhere. The city is beautiful, the people a delight, and I say... go for it! It sounds like a good match for you.

Can someone tell me good places to eat for $10-12 US? I've been to a wide range of restaurants this month and none were close to that cheap.

harrisonba said:
But to say that inflation is "skyrocketing" strikes me as fear-mongering. The moves have been incremental, and I don't believe that anyone fortunate enough to have an exit strategy should worry that expenses are going to "skyrocket" within the next 3 to 6 months.

Recently a dozen facturas at my local panaderia went up from AR$12 to AR$16 overnight. As far as inflation goes businesses, especially small businesses feel the pinch first before passing that on to consumers. Inflation is over 20% year on end here in Argentina. Probably closer to 25% if not a bit more. That's not fear-mongering. That's the reality.

You can bet that it will only accelerate more this year, given this is an election year....government motto--spend, spend, full speed ahead.

Lunch: Caseros on Casero; Manolo (San Telmo)... practically any neighbourhood cafe with a Menu Ejecutivo... just walk around and check the chalkboards.

Dinner: Territorio, Don Ernesto (San Telmo), Cervantes II (Congreso), neighbourhood cafes with chalk boards stuffed full of porteños!

jb5 said:
Can someone tell me good places to eat for $10-12 US? I've been to a wide range of restaurants this month and none were close to that cheap.

There are loads of parillas that are cheap if you go with people. I would say $15 per person with wine is about average for many places. Go to locals restaurants.

Mike
www.talkwelisten.com

I can't exactly put it into words myself, but the Book Cellar man gave me a very good argument about why it's useless to worry about the inflation here, because it's world-wide even if it seems especially extreme and acute here. We should call him up...

Back