Affordable Dolce Vita in Buenos Aires?

You keep mentioning that you want to "live very well." While $2,700 USD monthly is comfortable for BA, you won't be living the life of a playboy. Dining out, clubbing, buying new clothes -- those are the expenses that add up and have to be monitored in any city, BA not excepted. And you'll have to budget an extra bit of your income if you're hoping to wine and dine a lovely lady (or gent) while here :) Finances aside, you have to go into it realizing that even though the city looks European, it's South American to the core -- lots of inefficiency, unpredictability, and limited access to certain conveniences. For some people, it's a non-issue; for others, it's a dealbreaker. As others have said, the only way to find out whether BA is for you is to live here for several months. Just give it a try and take it from there --worst thing that happens, you decide it's not and move onto the next destination.

OK, but I've been out very recently looking at apartments. I'd say my 20 year old would be happy with a Palermo furnished rental for $1500, but I'm not thinking she will be at 30. I'm older and fussier and I wouldn't. I don't think we're talking 4 seasons at $3k. A 30 year old prestigious college grad who's done well would probably be living better in the States than in what you can get in a good part of Palermo for $1600.

I also know the online apartments look MUCH better than they look in person!

So all hyperbole aside, if you're willing to live modestly, no problem, you can. But if your perception is you'll live much better than you're living in Chicago, I think it's unlikely. Getting a good job in BA will be very tough. Inflation is real. This is hardly about caviar. This is about whether you like more than empanadas, cheap steak and just OK apartments.

A young person with a small trust fund would have lived well from 2002-2009, but it's over.

Last comment on the matter from me. I've said it before, you have to compare what you are getting. Try going to a club in any other major city and see what it costs for a drink. Try renting a furnished apartment somewhere that is the caliber of Palermo or Recoletta and you will pay at least double without a cleaning lady. The prices here are cheap for what you get. Don't forget happy hours as well which are non existent for many other places. In terms of inflation, I now get $1000 AR for about $246 CDN including bank machine fee. When I got here in October it cost me about $265 CDN. Sure our dollar has done well, but my point is it's all a matter of perspective. Accommodation, bars and restaurants are much cheaper. As you learn the ropes and find the right places to go life gets cheaper just like anywhere. Except Toronto!?!?!? ;)

Mike
www.talkwelisten.com

Try looking for apartments in Las Canitas. It's safe, swank with lots of new fun restuarants and bars but you can still eat at local parrilla for super cheap. We live on a very quiet street in a lovely loft apartment with roof top pool and maid for a fraction of what you would spend in North America.
Go for it and let us know when you land and we'll take you to the great cheap eateries and lovely bars this town is known for!

Amelia

I'm confused. In looking at apartments revently, Ive seen some very unspectacular 2 bedroom furnished apartments in Las Canitas for about $4,000/ mo. I've also eaten many meals in the neighborhood, none I'd describe as super cheap.

Can everyone please give specifics on where these cheap apartments and restaurants are?

starlucia said:
You keep mentioning that you want to "live very well." While $2,700 USD monthly is comfortable for BA, you won't be living the life of a playboy. Dining out, clubbing, buying new clothes -- those are the expenses that add up and have to be monitored in any city, BA not excepted. And you'll have to budget an extra bit of your income if you're hoping to wine and dine a lovely lady (or gent) while here :) Finances aside, you have to go into it realizing that even though the city looks European, it's South American to the core -- lots of inefficiency, unpredictability, and limited access to certain conveniences. For some people, it's a non-issue; for others, it's a dealbreaker. As others have said, the only way to find out whether BA is for you is to live here for several months. Just give it a try and take it from there --worst thing that happens, you decide it's not and move onto the next destination.

Again, I'm assuming it´s the subject line mentioning dolce vita that has thrown people off guard, but I am NOT trying to live lavishly, excessively, or like a playboy on $2700 USD, however, I do admit that there are certain things which MAY or may not be deemed as luxurious to some people (depending on where/who you ask) that I would like to have and those are: cleaning lady and the ability to eat out and go out frequently to normal local places, while at the same time living in a nice and furnished 1 bedroom apartment with modern amenities.
I am not concerned about the inefficiency and unpredictability about Argentina. In Spain, yes even in capital Madrid, ¨mañana¨ is the mantra for everything and ¨cerrado por vacaciones¨ or even worst ¨cerrado por puente¨ (which I dont even believe they have in Argentina IE: puente is basically meaning bridge which means they have taken a holiday during the week and extended it, IE: a wednesday might be a national holiday, well they have decided not to work Wednesday, Thursday, OR Friday and give themselves a mini holiday, very typical in Spain)
I would never consider buying my clothes or electronic equipment, computers, etc, in Argentina, unless there is something I direly need, as the US is always the cheapest (I learned this from being in Spain) and the latest in everything, so I am basically talking about the very basic living expenses.

On the maid front, you're set. This is incredibly low cost compared to Europe or the States.

The question here is the "nice" apartment and eating out. You will need to check out personally whether you can do this on your budget.

jb5 said:
I'm confused. In looking at apartments revently, Ive seen some very unspectacular 2 bedroom furnished apartments in Las Canitas for about $4,000/ mo. I've also eaten many meals in the neighborhood, none I'd describe as super cheap.

Can everyone please give specifics on where these cheap apartments and restaurants are?

2 bedroom place for $4000? Really? 1 bedroom loft on Eslovenia with maid $1000 a month. On the corner of Eslovenia and Baez is a super cheap parilla (all the portions are huge and a litre of house wine is 15 pesos) called las Canita. Chi Cha on Baez, 2 custom made cocktails with top notch ingredients and a small picada for 45 pesos. Any other questions? I don't know what some people aren't getting here. The guy said more than once he doesn't want to live like a millionaire. And don't go to tourists only spots if you want a cheap meal.
Sorry I know I said it was my last post last time, but I came out of retirement here like that athlete (too many to name). PM me if you come and have other questions.

Mike
www.talkwelisten.com

Reactions: jb5
dani28 said:
So, here's my situation, what I am currently looking for at the moment, and why I think Buenos Aires might be THE place for me to relocate to for awhile
Most of your reasoning is sound, except for the headline "Dolce Vita" and your obsession with BsAs.

On U$S 2,700/month you can live very comfortably in one of larger towns in the provinces, like Córdoba or Mendoza where the locals are much more friendly, and crime rates much lower.

Arrive with a return ticket in your pocket, move around in the provinces for some time, find out where you fit in.

Back