Affordable Dolce Vita in Buenos Aires?

Here, here Sergio (or is it hear, hear? lol, never known...)

With all the comparisons between Spain and Argentina I will state what the facts are between my husband who lives in BA and his brother who lives in Barcelona. They earn the same salary. They are 31 and 33 respectively.

Barcelona Brother-in-law:
Accountant at Ernst & Young

Husband:
Professional Engineer, currently Alliance Manager for Argentina, next month starts as Alliance Mgr for Latin America at Flowserve (at which point salary will be 100 euros more a month than what his brother earns)

Brother-in-law: Lives in "exclusive" neighbourhood. 1 bedroom apartment (sq footage unknown), no garage, high floor, balcony with views. Doesn't own a car, travels (flies generally) for pleasure 2 weekends out of the month to other places in Europe, plus 3-4 weeks of longer holiday a year (depending on banked hours, 3 weeks is minimum). Eats out 3-4 times a week.

Husband: Lives in "exclusive" neighbourhood. 1 bedroom apartment (54 sq m, duplex) with garage space, balcony on street one block from the polo field. Owns a car but doesn't use it much since he travels for work 2 - 3 weeks of the month -- ie 50-75% of time he is not in town (we do not consider this a bonus, apart from the canjea of airmiles), travels for pleasure outside of Argentina once every 12-18 months, travels for the weekend within Argentina once every 4-6 months, usually to the coast where the family has an apartment and we don't pay for stay... Eats out 1-3x a week (breakfast once or twice and dinner on the weekend). When away he's on the company bill obviously, so that reduces a lot of costs, but it also reduces a lot of life's pleasures.

Brother has been in Spain for 3 years. Neither brother is a gastador. Rent of the brothers, exactly the same. Savings of the brothers, exactly the same. Difference is brother in Spain appears to be having a much better time! travelling for pleasure and travelling for work are two very different things. The North American counterpart to my husband makes 4x his salary for the same position.

There's no point in telling us about health insurance and universities etc because 1) unless you're planning on bringing an 18 year old with you, you're not going to be taking advantage of that so it doesn't figure into your plan, and 2) we all already know health insurance in the USA is a rip off, but here they increase your premium by 17% every quarter, so you'll soon be bitching about that too. Vehicles here are more expensive, NAFTA (gas) is more expensive, so the half-price on parking isn't making as much of a difference as you think.

Anyway the general conclusion, as ALWAYS, is DON'T come here because you think it's cheap, or cheaper, than the USA or Spain -- you will regret it. Come here because you like it.

sergio said:
As for hotels, you will never find a bargain in Argentina. If you want to go to nice places you will always pay a premium. It's not like Europe or the US where there is an abundance of five star hotels and tremendous competition. Few people can pay such high prices and the market is very, very small. This applies to a lot of things. Basically a lot that you take for granted in the US, or even Europe, is a luxury item in Argentina and priced accordingly with no discounts. Last year I paid USD $170 for a seat at the Teatro Colon. This year I paid the same for a comparable seat at the Metropolitan Opera. I got a lot better quality at the Metropolitan Opera -- and needless to say, people earn a LOT more in the US so just keep this in mind: you have to lower standards and expectations in Argentina if you want to make a life.

I whole-heartedly agree -- we had to go to my brother-in-laws wedding in Santiago del Estero last year (read: poor town 12 hrs north-east of BA in the middle of the desert, one of the poorer provincias of the country). We stayed in the Termas del Rio Hondo -- a tourist attraction which has seen much better days -- mercury-filled lakeshore with dead fish, villa after villa to get to hotel, and a one hour drive through the garbage strewn desert to get to the wedding... Anyway our hotel was "4 star" -- perfectly fine hotel, but in the middle of nowhere. It was off-season, with "price reduction" it was 700 pesos a night. On last year's conversion rate I think that would have been almost 200 usd a night. In the States, that hotel would have been lucky if people were willing to pay 69 bucks a night for the place.

In comparison, we stayed in a king-size water view room at the bloody Best Western in Miami for only 160 USD in February. 400 thread count egyptian cotton sheets etc. I'd stay at the Best Western any day over our 4-star in Termas. There was a 5-star there as well but they wanted 1300 pesos a night, we weren't willing to pay it!

"Anyway the general conclusion, as ALWAYS, is DON'T come here because you think it's cheap, or cheaper, than the USA or Spain -- you will regret it. Come here because you like it."

I agree. What really caught my attention was the ANGER of the friend who came back from Spain. He is normally optimistic, cheerful and good natured but he was truly ANGRY that things have become so expensive in Argentina.

Anyway, if someone finds Argentina more to their liking than Europe, fine. Come and see for yourself and make up your mind. Do I recommend it? NO! The person who started this thread wanted advice and that is my advice.

jb5 said:
Your house cleaner will also be much cheaper.

My maid shows up when AND at what time she wants.... and many times doesn't show up at all. Talked many times with my landlady and she said that since the Peron era that that is the way it is in Argentina.

cruizes said:
My maid shows up when AND at what time she wants.... and many times doesn't show up at all. Talked many times with my landlady and she said that since the Peron era that that is the way it is in Argentina.

Cannot agree..my maid has a work ethic that would be the pride of any nation..I have to tell her to leave when shes clearly so sick she cannot work. In 7 years if she has taken more than 3 weeks sick leave I`d be surprised and 2 weeks were for the death of her son. She would work till she drops and is more committed than any maid Ive ever employed..to be a flaky employee isnt cultural, more like generational since the current spolit generation have never known it so good.

I *must* be getting older - it took me about a minute or two to think about that and finally get it - maybe I need to get out more - or drink more - or something :) lol

The best laid plans of mice and men aft gang a gley.
It is unrealistic for anyone to plan on "permanently" resettling in a foreign country without first experimenting. OP, come to BA, preferably not in summer months of Jan and Feb when weather is hot and muggy, rent a furnished apt for a few months, and determine whether you want to extend your exploration after you have lived here. Then you will be a better position to think about a permanent relocation.

jb5 said:
Cruises, why is she still your maid?

Good question! My landlady put this clause in the lease. I had no problem with it until I realized that the maid would only show up if she wanted to. Have spoken with the landlady on numerous occasions and she keeps telling me that it is required because it is in the lease. I told her that I would like to hire my own maid and she said that it is not possible. I think that this is her way of keeping an eye on her apartment making sure that nothing is being destroyed. Any suggestions???

Back