Affordable Dolce Vita in Buenos Aires?

dani28

Registered
So, here's my situation, what I am currently looking for at the moment, and why I think Buenos Aires might be THE place for me to relocate to for awhile:

I'm a 30 year old male with both Spain and USA citizenships (2 passports), I have studied and worked in both countries, I have a degree in International Business and another in Corporate PR from a fairly prestigious US college, and am native fluent in Spanish and English and also speak Italian and French. I used to have a pretty good job working in Spain doing the English language PR for the government but my post was eliminated right when the crisis began and since then I have been basically living off of short term ¨moonlighting¨ type jobs when I can get them(retail, etc) to get some ¨play money¨ and, most importantly a small trust fund I recieve in the amount of approx. $2,700 USD/month.

Quite frankly, in Madrid, where I was last living, and maintaining the lifestyle I used to have when I had my previous job (nice city centre 1 bedroom flat in a high-rise, housekeeper once a week, occasional travel and eating out, etc), I was only barely able to get by (Mind you: The trust fund converted to Euros with the exchange rate really kicked my butt considering rent on my flat alone was 1.500 euros per month)

I have come back to the States (Chicago) and have been here a few months, and am a bit discouraged by the job market and very high cost of living to quality of life ratio, not to mention the high cost of things which in Europe are fairly normal being treated as luxuries here: Decent table wines for cheap, entertainment IE bars etc, and organic, natural foods.

So, I am thinking of making a change to my life, and have always loved Buenos Aires (have been before as a tourist) and am attracted to the cost of living/quality of life ratio that it seems to afford (I do understand the prices have risen in the last few years) and to be quite frank, I like the idea of getting the most bang for my buck and being able to live VERY well, as I have grown accustomed to, on significantly less than in Europe or USA.

Obviously, my plan isnt just to kick back and forever live off of my existing funds forever, but it would be a very nice extra. I would like to see about finding long-term work and have been told that with my background, coming from Spain as they seem to love Europeans, languages and experience, it should not be too hard to secure work being as professional posts are still doing rather well in general, and that once I am able to get an employer to draw an employment contract for me, this will segway me into being able to get a work Visa and then later apply for DNI after time has passed.
Citi Bank Argentina and AMEX Argentina have already given me the thumbs up on getting me set up over there, as I have existing accounts with them in both Spain and the USA and they are pretty global.

Do you think B.A. would be a good match for me? Like I said, what I primarily am looking for right now, as a single male, is a place where I can live very well in a nice apartment, housekeeper once a week or so, dining out maybe 2-3 times a week, travel on holidays, brunch on sundays, and enjoy a good quality of life, i do very much like to go out quite a bit and meet new people, and also see if i can find a good job there and either stay there permanently or wait until things settle down in USA/Spain.

Thoughts?

We've got sky high inflation at the mo, so I would stay put until the next crash if I were you.

Me thinks considering all the nice things you crave, the reality of Buenos Aires is that despite its many pretty places it is gritty, very noisy and dangerous. Somehow reading your mail I cant imagine you in the Microcentre.

Perhaps better to come and give it a trail for a month before hauling all your stuff down.

In my opinion you could live very well here off the $2,700 alone. Very nice furnished apartment + maid and going out pretty much as you like. You just have to know the less touristy places and if you are staying long term definitely talk down the housing price with your landlord.
As for work, you could find something I'm sure with your credentials and language skills.
Try it for a few months and if it doesn't work, move on!

Ameliahttp://www.dayclickerphototours.com

I say YOU SHOULD GO FOR IT!

Main reason : you have a -passive?- income of 2.7K (Not sure it's good to be precise about figures in a public forum, if you come... I can edit my message if needed).

There are many other reasons to go for it

Thanks for your insight. I am more worried about this ¨drastic inflation¨ that everyone keeps mentioning, than anything else.
I understand that not all of Buenos Aires is as nice as Recoleta or Palermo, but its really the same in any major city, you have your posher areas than others, which is fine by me and something I actually find appealing and bask in. In Madrid, even though I lived in Plaza de España, which is one of the nicest squares to live in the city centre with luxury apartments, I was ALWAYS out in Chueca, Malasaña, etc, and do the same in Chicago.
Im thinking I would actually get a furnished apartment, and have found that even the short term vacation rentals which everyone says are a lot more expensive because they are targeted at tourists, are pretty decently priced (in my opinion) for all thats actually included in that price: fully furnished, cleaning service once or twice a week, internet, cable TV, linens, cooking gear, all utilities, etc.
So that's basically what I plan to be doing. It is also reassuring that the Consulate General of Argentina has been quite welcoming and helpful of my possible move, re-assuring me that I ¨won't have any problems¨ due to my dual passports, their warm affection for Europeans (and obviously Americans too) and that based on my experience languages and resume I should find something there as far as work.

If anything, I will stay there for awhile, reassess everything in general, and atleast be able to live well and not break the bank while doing so.

Assuming you don't have any bills (credit cards, etc) and that is the amount you have in hand every month, you will be able to have a decent quality of life. For a nice 1 BR in a nice central part of town, you're looking at around 1200 USD a month (1500 or so for a luxury apt). That leaves you 1200-1500 USD a month to play with which again, is sufficient but I wouldn't say you'll be living the high life. Going out and having fun yes.

Regarding work - well, it's probably not as easy as you are hearing and I assume you do realize that the local salaries while rising, are still low compared to Madrid or Chicago.

All that caution aside, if you love it here & you have the flexibility to do it - why not try it and see?

I'd encourage you to come for a current day look. Nice apartment means different things to different people. Lakeshore drive nice or modest neighborhood nice? Eating out gourmet or a basket of Empanadas?

There are things much cheaper in Argentina than in Europe or the states. Buying high end real estate and eating in high end restaurants are two. Your house cleaner will also be much cheaper.

But an average dinner out is about the same cost. Groceries are more expensive with
anything imported being much more. Vacations in LAM will be expensive. We're in Chile this week and it's expensive as are Brasil and Uruguay.

Baires is just not the bargain it was even a year ago. I think you can live OK on your $2700, but not well
by upper middle class US standards. A very good job will pay you another $20k/yr. If you're lucky enough to find one. You'd be way better off if you can find a US company to send you on an expat package. Prestigeous U? I hope it's Harvard, they mostly havn't heard of the rest of the ivy league here!

Personally, I think great, easy living in Baires for the young is over for now. Maybe after another crash. I'd look at emerging nations in Central America. Take your funds and start a business. It's cheap and opportunities abound.

Thoughts?[/quote]

My own thinking in moving here 7 years ago was that you only regret what you dont do and not what you do do. Go for it. Understand that BsAs is no longer unchartered waters and is very very well developed in terms of expats services due to those of us who cut our teeth at the coal face for you:)...have a blast and remember us pioneers!

Back