AFIP and international credit card use regulations?

solerboy said:
No one mentioned anyone being let out of the Country, however you DID mention the article in your first sentence. Maybe you are getting confused.

OK you're right. It would have been more precise of me to say that I did not mention the article's content. My mention of the article was only in reference to lucha54's not understanding it. Still, why did you reply to me about an argument I never made?

lucha54 said:
Hey all,
You've been talking about what's coming next for Argentines trying to travel abroad, and I don't totally understand this article, but are your predictions coming true?

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1497111-...oles-sobre-las-empresas-de-tarjeta-de-credito

My view is that it wont have many implications for Argentinians travelling abroad, except that they will need to buy their currency on the black market before travelling which will push up the cost of travel.

I think Punta del Este are going to have a slim season next summer !

solerboy said:
My view is that it wont have many implications for Argentinians travelling abroad, except that they will need to buy their currency on the black market before travelling which will push up the cost of travel.

I think Punta del Este are going to have a slim season next summer !

If reservations for the summer season in Uruguay dissapoint in like oktober I fully expect Uruguay to take steps against it and allow Argentines to sidestep currency controls in Uruguay

Well for now is having the oposite effect, Argentinian are traveling much much more abroad than 1 year ago, in month June 30% more than the previus month, this month even more. source: http://www.clarin.com/economia/cambiario-creciendo-cantidad-turistas-exterior_0_751125128.html

Is cheaper to go outside as the dollar you pay as tourist is the official tourist exchange rate and is a good way to do a trip and a profit if you have already house outside the country as many Argentinians do in Uruguay, Miami and Florianopolis, in the other side i just try paying with a friend arg credit card a PayPal account that i have in Ireland and it work without problem so i suppose nothing have change, the afip is just trying to scare people to not spend so much outside, because since the controls people have been spending 2 times more money outside than before, especially for the cc and the subsidized dollar rate, so for now is just the dog (afip) barking let see what happen.
In any case if you spend more than what you have declared (in white) you can have the afip asking where the money come from but that is nothing new, in any country if you spend more than what you have eventually you will have the tax agency on you.

In the other side the price has rise a lot here so people find cheaper to go outside. Uruguay is going to accept pesos apparently at least for renting that is what is killing the tourism there as the main source of turist are Argentinians and the house for rent don't offer credit card payment so the only way to pay for it is with dollars that as we all know right now Argentinians don't want to spend. Hope i have clear some doubts

Can't rich Argentines simply get credit and debit cards from US banks and store money in US . That's a way out, I believe. I know US visa is a issue but not for a rich Argentine.

Uruguay has been put in a tough spot because they do depend on Argentine tourism, however Argentine pesos aren't good. :p I seem to remember last summer Uruguay allowed people to exchange Argentine pesos for dollars in their banks with the intention of making money when they would exchange them back for dollars... only to be denied exchange in Argentina. :p Cristina wouldn't accept the pesos back for dollars so Uruguay was forced to hold onto the Argentine pesos for a while.

So I'm not sure that Cristina wouldn't do it again. Unloading pesos on foreigners is beneficial. ;)

wpw, so much BS pn this thread I am impressed! The controls on cc companies are due to the fact they have been buying US currency for way over the amounts they need to cover Argentine cc expenses. WAY more, just like travel agents were doing in the past. Uruguay will have no issues whatsoever because they have already agreed they will be taking pesos for the next season. So nothing has changed for either.

lamarque said:
Well for now is having the oposite effect, Argentinian are traveling much much more abroad than 1 year ago, in month June 30% more than the previus month, this month even more. source: http://www.clarin.com/economia/cambiario-creciendo-cantidad-turistas-exterior_0_751125128.html

Is cheaper to go outside as the dollar you pay as tourist is the official tourist exchange rate and is a good way to do a trip and a profit if you have already house outside the country as many Argentinians do in Uruguay, Miami and Florianopolis, in the other side i just try paying with a friend arg credit card a PayPal account that i have in Ireland and it work without problem so i suppose nothing have change, the afip is just trying to scare people to not spend so much outside, because since the controls people have been spending 2 times more money outside than before, especially for the cc and the subsidized dollar rate, so for now is just the dog (afip) barking let see what happen.
In any case if you spend more than what you have declared (in white) you can have the afip asking where the money come from but that is nothing new, in any country if you spend more than what you have eventually you will have the tax agency on you.

The oficial dollar won't get you far and to profit from the blue market you need to have money stashed away abroad, not all Argentines have that luxury. And not even talking about people who want to hold onto there dollar

El chabon said:
The oficial dollar won't get you far and to profit from the blue market you need to have money stashed away abroad, not all Argentines have that luxury. And not even talking about people who want to hold onto there dollar

Well i know some argies not nesesary rich even we can say the oposite that just go to a friend house in Uruguay or family or even coachsurf there and ask the 1xx dollars per day afip allow you, that in a month is 3xxx usd they give them self a cheap month outside the country, is not nesesary a profit but they bring back home with as many dollars as they can to save and they use mainly the credit card for all the expenses and off course they pay the air fare in arg pesos. Off course they have a big flexibility as this guys that were doing that were programers so they can work from everywere is not like they will become rich by doing this, but is a way to travel for them and at the same time get dollars off course they are young but the same principle aply for everyone is get cheaper and more if you consider the inflation here. And people actually feel the value of the dollar cheap for turism so they get it as a discount right now.

Back