Afip Raises Tourist Credit Card Tax To 35%

The amount can be recalculated. Its only final when your statement is generated (i.e. the date the current month for your card cycle expires). Not sure about the system for American Express but with Visa we had to pay the 15% (or was it 20% to begin with?) even though we'd made the purchase before any of this started.

So unless your card cycle expired yesterday, I would assume you'd be charged the 35% instead of the 20%. But you can only be sure after you see your statement though. The charge will appear separate from the actual amount.

What is the actual charge on USA credit cards ?

None?

However, if the American Express or Visa or Master are issued locally, they're subject to the 35% charge on international purchases.

Someone should have told Tricky Dicky that saying 'categorically NO' is never a good idea in politics.
http://www.youtube.c...xBErdtGjPs#t=37

I like the Youtube category picked for this video "Comedy". When did this interview take place?

EDIT:

Never mind, the interview was in August and he was being asked about what the AFIP might do post October and he said "categoricamente NO" to both increasing the charge from 20% and also taking some measures with passports...

Question - would it be reasonable to expect that this would put upward pressure on the Blue Dollar? Basically they are making it more expensive for Argentines to go pesos->dollars (using the credit cards), so that would increase the demand on the blue. Now, the 35% tax is still lower than the spread of the blue (currently 48%) so I guess it won't have a huge impact.

Note from INFOBAE, Google tranaltor?

The consumer that made ​​a purchase on Monday of $US 1 dollar pay your CC account summary in pesos, the exchange rate at the day of maturity, plus a 20% surcharge calculated at the exchange rate yesterday ($ 1.22 surcharge). Those who spend a dollar from today will have a charge of ($ 2.14).

For today, the dollar card (the rate paid by the tourists to add value official surcharge, now 35%) is $ 8.31, which cuts the gap with the Blue dollar, closed yesterday around 9.22 pesos in downtown Buenos Aires

Question - would it be reasonable to expect that this would put upward pressure on the Blue Dollar? Basically they are making it more expensive for Argentines to go pesos->dollars (using the credit cards), so that would increase the demand on the blue. Now, the 35% tax is still lower than the spread of the blue (currently 48%) so I guess it won't have a huge impact.

Luego de los cambios, el dólar libre sube a $9,37 en la City

La divisa en el mercado abre con una suba 15 centavos, mientras que el dólar oficial cotiza estable 6,16 pesos. El recargo del 35% de la AFIP lleva al dólar turista a $8,31 y se achica la diferencia con el libre

it was only a matter of time. im actually surprised it lasted this long. N.F.L

Note from INFOBAE, Google tranaltor?

The consumer that made ​​a purchase on Monday of $US 1 dollar pay your CC account summary in pesos, the exchange rate at the day of maturity, plus a 20% surcharge calculated at the exchange rate yesterday ($ 1.22 surcharge). Those who spend a dollar from today will have a charge of ($ 2.14).

For today, the dollar card (the rate paid by the tourists to add value official surcharge, now 35%) is $ 8.31, which cuts within the gap with a weight free dollar closed yesterday around 9.22 pesos in downtown Buenos Aires

That's exactly what was said about the last time they added the charge. But we made a purchase before the charge was introduced, and had to pay it when the statement came out.

Either way, hopefully people who used their cards yesterday and before would only need to pay the 20% charge but if history shows anything with this government, if anything sounds too good to be true, it really is.

Back