Again: Who Much Do You Pay Your Cleaner?

I do believe that even if the pay scale is low it can make a difference given the economic conditions in South America. Because jobs can often be difficult to find so cleaning houses for extra money I believe can be helpful to those that have financial need. Not an ideal circumstance or condition by any means but some income from several clients a week is better than nothing. Especially here in South America at this time.

I think whether you clean apartments or are an engineer, you are doing honest work and at the end of the day that's what matters. Obviously, the economy would have to be screwed up, in my opinion, if an engineer and a cleaner are paid the same seeing how different their qualifications are.

As to what everyone pays their cleaning person, as long as no one is taking their cleaners hostage or enslaving them, and as long as both parties agree to the rate then that's all that's needed. There's no room for anyone wagging their finger at others because they think the rate isn't "fair".

Other than that, this thread is a great resource to get a ball park figure for what the going rate is.

Everyone is free to give any wage they want.

Everyone is free to refuse the work as they like.

No one is forcing anyone.

We are in Argentina. Not in UK or US .

In Congo, we used to have a full time maid servant working for us for 100 usd a month..and she was very happy with the wages.

Lets keep things in perspective please.

Is the pay GAP in Argentina between the top and bottom very unfair.???
  • A blue collar laborer makes $15,000+ pesos clean (camioneros , subte, etc) no ganancias
  • A Congressman makes take home pay of $60,000 (Gross $90,000)

So the gap is a factor of 4...? As I hear the gap in Norway is 6...?​
  • In the USA a Mcdonald's worker makes $1600 p.m make it $2400 for a laborer!! . (new $10/hr rate)
  • A top Executive $10,000+

GAP = 4 aprox. or 6 ?​

The pay increase will lift the average hourly rate for its U.S. restaurant employees to $1 above the mandated minimum wage on July 1, the company said. McDonald's said it expects average wages to rise to more than $10 an hour by the end of 2016.Apr 1, 2015

Obviously, the economy would have to be screwed up, in my opinion, if an engineer and a cleaner are paid the same seeing how different their qualifications are.

Which is exactly what is going on in Italy! Everybody earns between €800 and €1800 per month, from cleaners to graduates (don't assume that on the lower end of this range there are only cleaners). And unfortunately this kept staying the same over the years (i.e. don't assume that the more experience the white collar gets, the more they are paid).

Anyway, I don't believe that expats should pay their employees more just because they are expats, thus can. It is the same thing as hiring somebody for a job to meet a racial quota (see other current post here). I have never had a maid myself, though I could afford it.

Rich, I think you're comparing different kinds of jobs. There are some "blue collar" workers that take home 15.000+, but they're the luckier ones. The majority is well bellow 10.000, and I personally know a few who make 5.000. I don´t know what Mc Donalds workers earn, probably something in between.

Rich, I think you're comparing different kinds of jobs. There are some "blue collar" workers that take home 15.000+, but they're the luckier ones. The majority is well bellow 10.000, and I personally know a few who make 5.000. I don´t know what Mc Donalds workers earn, probably something in between.

The workers that are syndicated in Unions, millions make what I mentioned. The ones in negro perhaps make $5000...!
Well I respect your opinion

Most of the local educated Argies I met, born and brought up in Arg and working white collar jobs in CABA....earn 8k -14 K pesos per month till before elections.

In capital I think it's a bit over 50 per hour with an extra 10% for working nights. They also provide decent benefits.

That brings the salary to close to $10,000 with overtime,,,!! However most unionized workers , truck drivers , subte, Gastronomic make way over that . What people in negro make is something else.

Back