Air Conditioning

I think the whole concept of "arregla tuttis" is why there's so much shoddy work. Yea, they may get the job done, but they are notorious for being oblivious to details causing more problems in the long run. I wouldn't randomly ask some portero without seeing prior work AND having some understanding of what he did. There's too many chapuzeros - the majority I'd say.

If you rely on these "handymen" to do all your work and are satisfied, you're either incredibly lucky or have "vista gorda."

This is seriously one of my biggest pet peeves in Argentina. The crappy work and the 'zafa' attitude. I'm getting pissed off just thinking about the work done around our house. Then again, even the "pros" aren't any guarantee. (I realize the problem may be exponentially worse in run down provincia, but still.)
We own property in the US, and I have to tell you that I get crap repairs there too. The main difference is that they show up on time, invoice you, etc, etc but I am currently pretty disappointed at some crap repairs we got, and that includes AC repairs. and we were charged top money for that s***t

Think you should FIRST check what your home's electrical service is rated at (main breaker current rating) and then get an idea what your present maximum usage is and work from there. How much spare capacity is available for this new appliance: Air Cond. Things can get tricky and expensive if electrical service needs to be upgraded. I thought about adding more BTUs however, was close to the max and decided against a new system. It always something......

I just came from Garbarino and bought another AC. My syster is having surgery on January the 10th and the house is very hot, so we cant manage it only with a fan.
Cost: 3400. Only frio, not frio/calor.
We bought it there and got a discount of 724 pesos. They told us they sell like 20 per day.

We re going to install it with an arregla tutti (who we know well) as we did with the other. :p

just went to Garbarino today, i was gonna give in as well and by an AC, they are all sold out!!!!

I just came from Garbarino and bought another AC. My syster is having surgery on January the 10th and the house is very hot, so we cant manage it only with a fan.
Cost: 3400. Only frio, not frio/calor.
We bought it there and got a discount of 724 pesos. They told us they sell like 20 per day.

We re going to install it with an arregla tutti (who we know well) as we did with the other. :p

Which model the Coventry, a split?...? a good deal, any special CC discount .

http://www.garbarino.com/productos.php?id=14350|14259&orden=menorPrecio

Which model the Coventry, a split?...? a good deal, any special CC discount .

http://www.garbarino...den=menorPrecio

It is a Noblex (model NOS25C13XI). Funny I googled it and not a single link appears. And the one we bought 3 weeks ago is an Electrolux. Both have the label of "made (ensambled) in Ushuaia". As we bought both at the same time, we ll see which one is better. I expect pretty much the same.

Cheers

It's also a good idea to check that they will connect it to the electricity supply.
Twice we've had aircon fitted where the blokes went home leaving the plug dangling from the wall.
On the last occasion, I did the electrical connection myself.

It's also a good idea to check that they will connect it to the electricity supply.
Twice we've had aircon fitted where the blokes went home leaving the plug dangling from the wall.
On the last occasion, I did the electrical connection myself.

Very true the cord and pug of the unit is 30 cm long and is dangling up there over the window how to get form there to the nearest outlet.....??? had to pay extra to a local guy.

Very true the cord and pug of the unit is 30 cm long and is dangling up there over the window how to get form there to the nearest outlet.....??? had to pay extra to a local guy.
That's why you need qualified personnel for split air conditioning installation. It's not recommended to use extension cords for these air conditioning units as doing so reduces the ampere flow to the unit and can severely reduces it's efficiency and lifespan. Also be sure not to cut the plug off and hard-wire the unit to the electrical supply, doing this automatically voids the warranty. Once again, get qualified personnel to do this job. I used this company to do several installations over the years and everything was done perfectly and a few of the installations were quite complicated, others were simple. http://c-termomecanica.com/index.php

Yes, the plug is not standard domestic size, it's much larger.

Back