Alberto Fernández does not lie

In my humble opinion, AF is a weak man who sold his soul to someone he despised.

So far, he has not been able to stand his ground when confronted by Cristina and her minions.
Let's hope he can find the courage and the guts to do. so in the future.

He's taken full control of the situation and his policy line is not at all the same as Cristina. He's also MUCH better at being a public figure in general, Cristina sounds like a conspiracy theorist half the time while Alberto is grounded in reality and actually knows how to deal with criticism. The whole 'Alberto is controlled by Cristina' idea has already been rubbished with how the government is handling the crisis, they know that Cristina should not be anywhere near it.

Of course, like any politician, he does, in fact, lie. We need to be careful never to idolise anyone. My loyalty to any politician lasts as long as I support their policies, their personality does not matter.

Last edited:
BTW what's Alberto doing to the economy. Macri was getting abused for have a 40-1 peso rate yet your friend who never lies currently has the peso at 100-1... I thought the Ks were supposed to be good for the economy? How are they going to pay all their social plans and people dependent on government?

BTW what's Alberto doing to the economy. Macri was getting abused for have a 40-1 peso rate yet your friend who never lies currently has the peso at 100-1... I thought the Ks were supposed to be good for the economy? How are they going to pay all their social plans and people dependent on government?

I'm no fan of the Ks, and Macri was a disaster as well, but exactly what is AF suppose to do? The economy was a wreck when he took it over, now obviously worse with coronavirus. This economy is headed for a major blow up no matter what AF does.

The social plans that people love to complain about aren't so bad for the economy because poor people can't save, they have to spend every peso which helps stimulate consumption.

The main problem is the amount of public employment. In some provinces the government employees up to 60-70% of the workforce. Argentina needs to pass laws that attract investment from business to take pressure off government as the primary employer and expand the tax base. It can be done in sensical way where workers are still protected but business has increased security and incentive to invest here. I'm not holding my breath .

I'm no fan of the Ks, and Macri was a disaster as well, but exactly what is AF suppose to do? The economy was a wreck when he took it over, now obviously worse with coronavirus. This economy is headed for a major blow up no matter what AF does.

The social plans that people love to complain about aren't so bad for the economy because poor people can't save, they have to spend every peso which helps stimulate consumption.

The main problem is the amount of public employment. In some provinces the government employees up to 60-70% of the workforce. Argentina needs to pass laws that attract investment from business to take pressure off government as the primary employer and expand the tax base. It can be done in sensical way where workers are still protected but business has increased security and incentive to invest here. I'm not holding my breath .
What do you think Macri was handed over? Didn't stop the Ks shitting on him for having inflation or depreciating peso... Karma is a bitch as they say. Giving people money is not a long term economic plan. It should only be used in short term crashes like now, the problem is Argentina thinks it should be a permanent thing which leads people to become dependent on the government. This is fine until people realise you are never going to pay them back which is where Argentina is now.

With debt markets closed because of how unreliable Argentina has been their last option is to print more of their toilet paper money and introduce not devaluation and inflation. This is the K economic principal in a nutshell. While this happens their goal is to steal as much as possible from the public to ensure their own wealth is looked after while screaming on TV for evil businesses are and how they have the best interests of the poor in their hearts.

What do you think Macri was handed over?

A crap economy with all sorts of economic imbalances and distortions due to 15 years of K policy. He made it even worse and now handed it off to AF.

With debt markets closed because of how unreliable Argentina has been their last option is to print more of their toilet paper money and introduce not devaluation and inflation.

Macri borrowed USD and lit it on fire while trying to defend the peso. Late 2017 Marcos Peña pushed to ease the inflation target and cut rates. What happened next was a massive devaluation, no one wanted to lend them billions more, they had to go the IMF, billions of debt in USD, interest rates in the high 60s, burning reserves to defend the peso, announcing economic plans for future months and then back tracking weeks later. Complete chaos. How is this defensible?

Argentina needs a sensible opposition to the Ks, but Macri and his "best economic team of the last 50 years" isn't it.

Argentina needs to pass laws that attract investment from business to take pressure off government as the primary employer and expand the tax base: very true, but we've been hearing this recommendation for decades and decades, regarding Argentina: "attract foreign investments!". And it seems to never really happen. That's the biggest mystery of Argentine economics.

Why would anyone lend money to someone who has a habit of taking the money and then sticking their middle finger up at them when they should be paid back? Argentina treats debt markets how many of its citizens treat the government - someone who should give them money. The problem is an entitlement complex that has been around for decades and is now part of the culture. It will take generations of a new education program (family and school) before it has any hope of going away.

No one is going to take pesos as collateral so the first thing they need to do is finally implement policies to control inflation (yes it will increase poverty temporarily) however the long term benefits will outweigh the short term pain. The issue is no one has the balls or brains to make that decision so we go around in circles. There are many cases in history they should be studying for how it is done.

Why would anyone lend money to someone who has a habit of taking the money and then sticking their middle finger up at them when they should be paid back? Argentina treats debt markets how many of its citizens treat the government - someone who should give them money. The problem is an entitlement complex that has been around for decades and is now part of the culture. It will take generations of a new education program (family and school) before it has any hope of going away.

No one is going to take pesos as collateral so the first thing they need to do is finally implement policies to control inflation (yes it will increase poverty temporarily) however the long term benefits will outweigh the short term pain. The issue is no one has the balls or brains to make that decision so we go around in circles. There are many cases in history they should be studying for how it is done.
That is probably true, but what does it have to do with Alberto? Surely it's fair to say whatever economic plans he may have had have now been scrapped and he will be operating with one hand behind his back? I don't think he will be judged under normal criteria now, and nor should he be. His role now is trying to keep Argentina as stable as possible.

I find those that look at political issues as a left right divide are not seeing the full picture . I disliked Mauricio Macri inmensely but I am also disappointed in the current government of Alberto Fernandez . The devaluation of the peso just in the last few weeks has been devasting for all argentinians and has a tremendous affect of the health of the people . Food prices are now sky high in Argentina and amongst the dearest in latin america except in Chile , uruguay ,or Brazil but in all these three countries the inflation is less than 10 % annually as well as having minimum wages currently over 3 times higher than Argentina as is the case of Uruguay . This long term quarantine that many are now saying will finish in September will leave the country in ruins of which it will take ten years to recover Is this really good government ?

Certainly we have a major health crisis on our hands but there are so many sensible ways of dealing with this instead of closing shut the economy and just printing money causing hyperinflation and devaluation . Life is a risk every time you go out and you can possibly die from a myriad of causes . The argentinian death rate per year is 7.5 per 1000 people or over 300,000 people per year in Argentina . This works out to over 800 people per day . Imagine if the media informed us for every death that happens we would not ever leave our house .

Up to now 90 % of all deaths from covid19 have been older people with underlying health problems . These people can be isolated and the rest of us with social distancing and protection allowed to work and live .

In three months time when we are allowed to go out with some freedom most businesses would have collapsed , 80 percent of restaurants closed , coffee shops , gyms, beauty parlours , hairdressers , travel agencies, and so much more .
Buenos Aires is a vibrant amazing city in the best of times but after this with its famed milongas closed, and most business bankrupt it will be like Detroit USA a city that you just drive through .

This disease is with us now we need to live with it and work with it as the human consequences of a 4 month or more lockdown are thousands of time more damaging to human health than the virus .

Many countries in Asia are now fully in business but with social distancing . There economies will not collapse . They are saying that Argentina economy will retract minus 10 percent this year . This to me is a disaster that can be avoided if the current government makes better decisions .

Last edited:
Back