Almond Milk - Is It A Thing Here?

BlueArrow

Registered
Almond milk is among the products I'm trying to secure or verify the existence of before my better half comes down here to stay with me. The milk scene itself is quite different, but I haven't seen anything that looks like almond milk yet. Any leads?

Cordoba y Callao, I think it's called Club Saludable.

Editorial: In the US of A, I bought a Soyabella almond/rice/cashew/soy, etc... milk maker 220v. I never bought a gadget that I use more regularly, I make 2 liters for pennies. My finished product contains a spoon full of vanilla extract, a spoon full of honey, water and the nuts. You will pay close to $5.00 US for a tiny container here that you would need a chemist to explain all the ingredients. The gadget rinses in 20 seconds--nothing like the grief from a juicer. Ease of use: You put the ingredients in and push a button.

I can longer drink store bought almond milk in the US either.

Have your better half bring one down.

Almond milk is among the products I'm trying to secure or verify the existence of before my better half comes down here to stay with me. The milk scene itself is quite different, but I haven't seen anything that looks like almond milk yet. Any leads?

I suggest you use the advance search feature of this website to quickly find answers to questions that may have been asked by others.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass (below the sign out button) and enter the words almond milk in the find words box.

Display the results as posts.

I suggest you use the advance search feature of this website to quickly find answers to questions that may have been asked by others.

Click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass (below the sign out button) and enter the words almond milk in the find words box.

Display the results as posts.

I usually do search the archives first, find my answers, and don't even need to post. This time I forgot to do so, my apologies. Thanks for the reminder.

almond milk sucks here.

If you buy it - you must consume it within 3 days ( even if kept in fridge) else it will rot.

So I just get almond milk from US and it stays good forever..till u open it...thereafter its likes is 6-7 days in fridge.

here if you buy it - it tastes ok..but has v short shelf life.

Try Soy Milk instead :rolleyes:

I am having a hard time to find the unflavored one. It was popular in Mar del Plata (unflavored cost more than flavored - WTF?!).
I can't find it in San Isidro. If I am lucky, they have one flavored brand for 32 to 36 ARS the bottle.

I dont know it this brand is good or not, but there is a new brand out here called "Veggie Milk"and 1 of its 5 non cow milks is almond milk.
http://www.buenosairesmarket.com/veggie-milk-leches-vegetales-con-onda-versatiles-y-nutritivas/
https://www.facebook.com/veggiemilks?fref=photo

Hello! It's very easy to make.

All you need is a blender, an almond bag and almonds (blanched are better ie, without the skins)
It's so much better and cheaper than store bought - Casa China has a good Almond milk but it's rarely there and kind of expensive.

I bought my almond bag here:
http://granomadre.com.ar

Almonds here (they have many many locations throughout the city):
http://www.newgarden.com.ar/QuienesSomos_SPA.aspx

Casa China down in China Town also has a selection:

and here is a recipe

Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup raw almonds, preferably organic
2 cups water, plus more for soaking
Sweeteners like honey, sugar, agave syrup, or maple syrup, to taste, optional

Equipment
Bowls
Strainer
Measuring cup
Blender or food processor
Fine-mesh nut bag or cheese cloth

Instructions

Soak the almonds overnight or up to 2 days. Place the almonds in a bowl and cover with about an inch of water. They will plump as they absorb water. Let stand on the counter, covered with a cloth, overnight, or refrigerate for up to 2 days. The longer the almonds soak, the creamier the almond milk.

Drain and rinse the almonds. Drain the almonds from their soaking water and rinse them thoroughly under cool running water. At this point, the almonds should feel a little squishy if you pinch them. (It's best to discard the soaking water because it contains phytic acid, which inhibits the body's ability to absorb nutrients.)

Combine the almonds and water in a blender. Place the almonds in the blender and cover with 2 cups of water.

Blend at the highest speed for 2 minutes. Pulse the blender a few times to break up the almonds, then blend continuously for two minutes. The almonds should be broken down into a very fine meal and the water should be white and opaque. (If using a food processor, process for 4 minutes total, pausing to scrape down the sides halfway through.)

Strain the almonds. Line the strainer with either the opened nut bag or cheese cloth, and place over a measuring cup. Pour the almond mixture into the strainer.

Press all the almond milk from the almond meal. Gather the nut bag or cheese cloth around the almond meal and twist close. Squeeze and press with clean hands to extract as much almond milk as possible. You should get about 2 cups. (See Recipe Note for what to do with the leftover almond meal.)

Sweeten to taste. Taste the almond milk, and if a sweeter drink is desired, add sweetener to taste.

Refrigerate almond milk. Store the almond milk in sealed containers in the fridge for up to two days.

Recipe Notes
Using the leftover almond meal: The leftover almond meal can be added to oatmeal, smoothies, and muffins as it is. You can also spread it out on a baking sheet and bake it in a low oven until completely dry (2 to 3 hours). Dry almond meal can be kept frozen for several months and used in baked goods.

Back