Am I going to be in trouble bringing a lot of electronics with me into Argentina?

newbeginnings

Registered
US Citizen, I travel with a lot of electronics and am worried about getting absolutely annihalated by customs upon arrival. I have 2 laptops, 3 phones (1 new and 2 old backups in case one gets stolen) 4k projector, small speakers, portable music player, and more. In total, what I travel with probably values at around $7k.

From what I'm reading the duty free allowance is only $300!? And no items are exempted? Are tourists usually hassled about electronics? I imagine if they stopped me I would likely owe thousands in duties, no?

I also don't really have the option of not taking my stuff with me as I will be headed to Argentina from another country in Latam. I won't be heading directly from the US, so I have nowhere to leave it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

More than duty value is the visible assessment of resale value/potential, therefor the recommendation to not keep the boxes. Everything you listed sounds reasonable for personal use except maybe three phones (work, personal...and?) so just prepare a backstory for the worst case scenario of them asking.

The main problem you will have is the voltage here is 240. It is great for UK travelers, but will present some problems for US devices.

Back