Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

Actually, the US Permanent Resident card (“green card”) explicitly said “RESIDENT ALIEN” until 1997.
That’s pretty much the exact same as “EXTRANJERO”.
Not sure what’s racist about it - it refers to legal status, not race.
Ok, I was using the term "racist" losely, but why doesn't my DNI say "Residente Temporario" if it's all about legal status? EXTRANJERO has lots more loaded connotations.

Are you saying that "Chilean" is a fake politically correct form of "Chilota", and therefore those who use it prefer to be real and not hide or censor the truth by continuing to use the term "Chilota"?
I am talking about ethnic vocabulary in general. And you are getting it all wrong. Chilean is the grammatically and semantically correct term. Now if you are in a place where most people call Chilean people " Chilota " then you have to understand where they are coming from and how much more in terms of racism the group needs to be educated, but not censor the language. In some places people use the proper adjective yet their sentiment is highly racist.

As a society, we can either move toward equality, fairness, and respect for all or we can choose not to. Choose being the operative word. You choose the words you use. You can use racist words or you can make the choice not to. This is a lesson most learn in childhood. It requires minimal effort. Racism isn't just in-your-face hate, it's often mundane. This mundanity makes it easier to keep oppression intact. Referring to people negatively by the differences you perceive keeps oppression intact. Passing along that language (and the racist beliefs BUILT into that language) to your children is people's seemingly benign way of keeping the world the way it is: vastly unfair and kind of a hot garbage fire.

Language matters. Pretending that it doesn't or that it's 'political correctness' versus the way that we literally communicate is nonsense. You know this, of course. We're all adults here. If you want to use racist words, go ahead. As we're seeing now, there may be consequences for it. As societies continue their crawl toward progression, it'll be harder and harder to play dumb.

Thank you for writing this.

Ok, I was using the term "racist" losely, but why doesn't my DNI say "Residente Temporario" if it's all about legal status? EXTRANJERO has lots more loaded connotations.

Just because you were called 'white boy' and 'extranjero', pejorative words , sure (though to different degrees). That doesn't mean all pejorative words are therefore ok.

The lesson should be that people not use either.

This is a false equivalent.

As a society, we can either move toward equality, fairness, and respect for all or we can choose not to. Choose being the operative word. You choose the words you use. You can use racist words or you can make the choice not to. This is a lesson most learn in childhood. It requires minimal effort. Racism isn't just in-your-face hate, it's often mundane. This mundanity makes it easier to keep oppression intact. Referring to people negatively by the differences you perceive keeps oppression intact. Passing along that language (and the racist beliefs BUILT into that language) to your children is people's seemingly benign way of keeping the world the way it is: vastly unfair and kind of a hot garbage fire.

Language matters. Pretending that it doesn't or that it's 'political correctness' versus the way that we literally communicate is nonsense. You know this, of course. We're all adults here. If you want to use racist words, go ahead. As we're seeing now, there may be consequences for it. As societies continue their crawl toward progression, it'll be harder and harder to play dumb.

If you're going to wear the MAGA hat (even if it's in a light shade of pink), wear the MAGA hat.
You don't move towards equity by switching words. Just like a person cursing has nothing to do with them being educated or not, or how high his IQ is. Language censoring is a pathetic attempt to look and sound equal imho.

There are countries that are very politically correct and do not use these words openly, yet the sentiment is exactly the same.

And there are socialites/countries where people choose to learn something new, reflect, evolve and grow continually, where the offensive words are not used by personal choice and their words truly reflect their sentiments and practice.

And there are socialites/countries where people choose to learn something new, reflect, evolve and grow continually, where the offensive words are not used by personal choice and their words truly reflect their sentiments and practice.
But for that to happen society has to evolve and deeper changes have to happen. When you decide to move or live in a " developing " country, that is what you witness. It is beyond rude to simply land and point out these things without understanding at which stage each society is at. When you are uncomfortable you can always go back to the other world, or simply understand where you are.

Now if you are in a place where most people call Chilean people " Chilota " then you have to understand where they are coming from and how much more in terms of racism the group needs to be educated, but not censor the language.

This statements shows that you know very little about social interventions.
You not only resist to learn something new, but you also choose to disregard the scientific body of evidence which shows that education alone without (even temporary) censorship/suppression is not a valid mechanism of social intervention in these cases.

It is beyond rude to simply land and point out these things without understanding at which stage each society is at. When you are uncomfortable you can always go back to the other world, or simply understand where you are.

I am sorry, are you implying that I landed from somewhere else?
Where exactly should I go back to?
Please enlighten me.

Back