Am I the only person in Argentina that finds the term "chinito" offensive?

And where are they? Back then almost 40% of the Argentine population was black. Where are all the descendants of those freed Argentine slaves? Oh yes, they were either killed or fled to Brazil or Uruguay.

FYI slaves used to escape from Brazil to Argentina looking for refugee.
Well, seems you quoted it without reading it. According to the article you quoted, the pure black race dissapeared in the mix with white people for over 200 years instead of being segregated like in Brazil ;).
The article mentioned the war with Paraguay but the fact is that Argentina has 50 years of non stop war so the whole population of the country that was a mix of white, jude, arab from Spain plus indian plus negro was decimated.
Later there was a yellow fever plague. San Telmo used to be the rich are until them when the houses were abandoned and rich people moved to the north of the city.
So, the explanation finishes with the huge immigration that came after 1880 where no black people came.

Well, seems you quoted it without reading it. According to the article you quoted, the pure black race dissapeared in the mix with white people for over 200 years instead of being segregated like in Brazil ;).

I think the selective reading is yours. Here, let me help you out:

Slavery was officially abolished in 1813, but the practice remained in place until about 1853. Ironically, at about this time, the black population of Argentina began to plunge.

It has been alleged that the president of Argentina from 1868 to 1874, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, sought to wipe out blacks from the country in a policy of covert genocide through extremely repressive policies (including possibly the forced recruitment of Africans into the army and by forcing blacks to remain in neighborhoods where disease would decimate them in the absence of adequate health care).
Tellingly, Sarmiento wrote in his diary in 1848: “In the United States… 4 million are black, and within 20 years will be 8 [million]…. What is [to be] done with such blacks, hated by the white race? Slavery is a parasite that the vegetation of English colonization has left attached to leafy tree of freedom.”

But blacks did not really vanish from Argentina – despite attempts by the government to eliminate them (partially by encouraging large-scale immigration in the late 19th and 20th century from Europe and the Near East).

To finalize, these were some of the "segregated" (your words) Brazilian soldiers that went to Europe in World War II to fight the Nazis.

12033122_1059593244073764_6489277802177357696_n.jpg

When they returned victorious, some of them were assigned to the the Brazilian border, to repel any possible Argentine invasion. Bellow were the folks that sat across the border staring back at them.

kg9xmgcy89011.png

Last edited:
Well, well, well.
Very nice picture that shows that Brazil was 150 years behind Argentina regarding fighting segregation. I cannot show you a picture of Sergeant Cabral, who was black and who is one of the heroes of this country because there were no cameras inthe earlies 1800’. Here is a statue.
Juana Azurduy, another hero was a woman and indian.

Ignorance is a bliss. You are blissed.

FYI by 1853 black people was not free in Africa, so, there were no chances for free immigration and for this reason there was no immigration of black people for 200 years.

The CN invite all the men of the world to immigrate to Argentina while the picture you posted is probably from when the National Constitution was abolished by the Constitution of 1949 which 5 years plan was focus on eugenics and created an Ethnic Institute. You should read Zuloaga who asserted that the pure argentine race is a blend of Spaniard and Indio.

What’s the point? That Sarmiento was racist? Tell me something is not known by everybody besides you.

So, facts: no trade of slaves since 1813 and a bloom of white immigration since 1880. No segregation (marriage blacks with blacks like in Brazil for a long time)= argentines has godo (Spaniard), indian, Jude, black, italian, arab, german, greeks gens as something common.92B90010-386C-40DE-96CD-B26D5E740BEF.jpeg

Last edited:
And where are they? Back then almost 40% of the Argentine population was black. Where are all the descendants of those freed Argentine slaves? Oh yes, they were either killed or fled to Brazil or Uruguay.

Blackout: How Argentina ‘Eliminated’ Africans From Its History And Conscience

According to my research on this, there was a plague or plagues that hit them very hard almost eliminated them and many whites in BA also. But who believes history books anyway.

Last edited:
You mean the yellow fever that was already discussed I think.
However, 8% of the population of this city died, most of them immigrants.

"As for the black population, they lived in miserable conditions which resulted in them being hit harder by the plague. Also, it is said that the army surrounded the zones where they lived and did not permit any movement into Barrio Norte, where the whites were trying to escape the epidemic. They died in huge numbers and were buried in mass graves."

Sounds totally above board, nothing to see here...

They were also forced into the Army and used as cannon fodder in the war with Paraguay.
But hey, let's not disturb the Argentine racial harmony narrative that the locals are so attached to.

Most of ARG people cannot classify what asian countires they come from because ARG people have rare idea and knowledge of asian countires.But, they have little knowledge and are familiar of China. I agree that word is (not sounds) OFFENSIVE to asian people and contains racial discrimination from time to time depending on situations.

I think that chinito is not peyorative in the same way negro neither is in Argentina unless the context and the tone of voice make it peyorative.

The reason why it so important to do not use the word negro in the US is because the enslaving culture is still strong and the Apartheid was abolished short time ago.

Argentina, on the other hand, derogated slavery in 1813 and the purpose of its privateer fleet was to free slaves.

Many of the national heroes and elite troops were former slaves like Sergeant Cabral.

This is why the DNM strives to appear legality when they discriminate foteigners.
chinito becomes extremely offensive when you point the corner of your eyes with your fingers and say chinito.
unfortunately, most people in Spanish speaking countries do not know about this, and they do it all the time, kids, school teachers,
parents they all do it .. how stupid it is.

Back