Amazing how expensive BsArs is

mariano-BCN

Registered
I just returned to Europe and I'm looking at the figures of my spending in BsArs: can't believe how much I paid there for daily life-goods like food. I didn't buy clothes, electronic devices or other stuff which I already knew are mucho more expensive than in Europe.
I didn't go out to diner very often, only once or twice a week and max once a week to the cinema.
I'm living now again in Amsterdam and prices here for food are lower than in BsArs, in the markets and in the supermarkets. Can't understand why tofu -made of Argentinean soy- here is cheaper than in BsArs. Maybe because the market for it in BsArs is not as big as here. But even bread, tomatoes and vegetables in general are cheaper here.
I'll have to work in BsArs again at the end of this year and I hope the euro has risen then and the peso devaluated as many long time ago stated should happen.

mariano-BCN said:
I'll have to work in BsArs again at the end of this year and I hope the euro has risen then and the peso devaluated as many long time ago stated should happen.

Those of us who live here full-time call that the "10-year crash." We are due and CFK is doing all she can to ensure that we remain on schedule.

i am back in new york city for the next 6 months and i food is much cheaper (and much better) here. first time i went to the supermarket here this week (first time in 5 months) i felt there was something funny going on and it took me some time before i could put my finger on it: everything still costs the same! this will take some getting used to! :)

mariano-BCN said:
I just returned to Europe and I'm looking at the figures of my spending in BsArs: can't believe how much I paid there for daily life-goods like food. I didn't buy clothes, electronic devices or other stuff which I already knew are mucho more expensive than in Europe.
I didn't go out to diner very often, only once or twice a week and max once a week to the cinema.
I'm living now again in Amsterdam and prices here for food are lower than in BsArs, in the markets and in the supermarkets. Can't understand why tofu -made of Argentinean soy- here is cheaper than in BsArs. Maybe because the market for it in BsArs is not as big as here. But even bread, tomatoes and vegetables in general are cheaper here.

For the tofu the answer it is quite simple... while Argentine is one of the largest exporters of soybean, the Netherlands is the largest exporter of soy sauce. I do not have the number for tofu but I would not surprise to see a similar pattern: Argentina produces the raw material, and the Netherlands industrialize it.

It's true. I've been traveling around Europe for 4 months and in every single country, prices are lower than in BA. Even the products imported from Argentina (fruits and vegetables, wine, dulce de leche) are cheaper than in Argentina.

Now please excuse me while I go swim in my 2-euro blocks of local cheese and loaves of spelt bread...

GS_Dirtboy said:
Those of us who live here full-time call that the "10-year crash." We are due and CFK is doing all she can to ensure that we remain on schedule.

Its an ill wind that brings nobody any good !

Its been cheaper in europe for at least the last 2 1/2 years.. I usually spend 3 or 4 months in gent/belgium or zurich, and apart from the price of transport and restaurants (in zurich) everything else is cheaper, and often alot cheaper.

The quality of food is better in europe too, with alot better variety, especially things like cheese and bread.. there are a few exceptions - things like plums, peaches etc when they are in season here can be cheap and good.

Something i found amazing - i took my friend a bottle of melbec when i met him to travel around colombia - he told me its cheaper to buy in belgium...

Unfortunately Argentina is not having a good time. CFK is doing whatever she can but it's hard. The truth is that is very expensive, but you can find good quality food and things to do.

If you come with dollars or Euro, the parallel market rate will make BA cheaper again. Should be 6 soon.

Argentina is such a great country and most people are ok. But with this prices I'll wait until the devaluation is done. When will that happen? Dunno. Who knows?
But while everybody in this forum was saying that the devaluation was about to happen last year: nothing has happened so far, the inflation in euros and dollar has never stopped.

Back