Amazing how expensive BsArs is

Have you missed the extreme devaluation on the parallel market? CFK may not have devalued the peso, but the rest of the world has.

When I came here in 2006 I think it was $3ARS to $1US. Now $US aren't that available officially and the street price is $5ARS to $1US.

GS_Dirtboy said:
When I came here in 2006 I think it was $3ARS to $1US. Now $US aren't that available officially and the street price is $5ARS to $1US.

And the subte was about AR$0.60 or AR$0.70, viste?

I thought some economic theory says that in a global market the value of goods evolves to be the same everywhere and there is no human or Argentinian power that can stop that evolution. If you say that Argentinian goods are more expensive in Argentina than in Europe (when using the official exchange rate of the peso), it means the peso eventually has to come down. Does someone have an idea how much things are more expensive in Argentina? This gives an idea how much the peso should fall.

mariano-BCN said:
I just returned to Europe and I'm looking at the figures of my spending in BsArs: can't believe how much I paid there for daily life-goods like food. I didn't buy clothes, electronic devices or other stuff which I already knew are mucho more expensive than in Europe.
I didn't go out to diner very often, only once or twice a week and max once a week to the cinema.
I'm living now again in Amsterdam and prices here for food are lower than in BsArs, in the markets and in the supermarkets. Can't understand why tofu -made of Argentinean soy- here is cheaper than in BsArs. Maybe because the market for it in BsArs is not as big as here. But even bread, tomatoes and vegetables in general are cheaper here.
I'll have to work in BsArs again at the end of this year and I hope the euro has risen then and the peso devaluated as many long time ago stated should happen.

Your talking bogus, just supermarkt is cheaper

Tipical restaurant out = 25 to 30 euro's
Eindhoven - Amsterdam return ticket = 35 euro
Filling my car with gas = 100 euro's
Renting a 2 bedroom appartment in Amsterdam = 1500 euro
Movies, coke, popcorn parking = 12,5 euro

Having a quality lifestyle in Amsterdam as a foreigner

Nice appartment in nice area
Eating out 2 times a week
Going to to movies 1 time a week
Gym/sports
Doing some stuff like going out, watch Ajax play, travel, etc
Insurance and stuff
Phone, cable, internet, etc

Will cost you 3000/3500 euro.

In Amsterdam you probally don't need a car but you do need it in most of Holland

toongeorges said:
I thought some economic theory says that in a global market the value of goods evolves to be the same everywhere and there is no human or Argentinian power that can stop that evolution. If you say that Argentinian goods are more expensive in Argentina than in Europe (when using the official exchange rate of the peso), it means the peso eventually has to come down. Does someone have an idea how much things are more expensive in Argentina? This gives an idea how much the peso should fall.

Argentina bans imports so normal economic predictions don't apply for Argentina

^sure, but that doesn't account for artificial propping by the AR government. Logic doesn't work here.

or excess costs added by supermarkets who never seem to have a price war...

I'm really surprised at these posts because while BA did get really expensive, the unofficial market is making it considerably cheaper again.

jb5 said:
I'm really surprised at these posts because while BA did get really expensive, the unofficial market is making it considerably cheaper again.

Actually it does not feel that way. Unofficially it is really expensive here. I am trying to leave and I keep getting increasingly higher bills and even the expense of eating is changing day to day. I have been here for 5 or 6 years and this the the most expensive it has ever been. And I am going back to NYC to pay less for more.

Back