American Airlines cancelled my flight and booked me 18 days later. What to do?

AA gets the information around the same time the media does - when the Argentine government (ANAC, the body in charge of civil aviation, after consulting with Ministry of Health and others) grants its approval. Sometimes the approvals come in bit by bit rather than all at once - meaning until it’s actually declined, airlines will continue to sell it.

In the small print flights are often sold “subject to governmental approval” or similar in the terms of carriage you agree to when buying a ticket. It is common practice industry and worldwide for airlines to sell seats that are not guaranteed to operate, but are hopeful of getting permission from the relevant authorities to operate as scheduled. For this reason last year we saw Argentina completely ban all scheduled commercial international flights because so many people were stranded and the government argued that capacity into Argentina needed to be reduced for sanitary reasons. Now that ban is gone, airlines are free to sell what they want but it’s buyer beware since approvals are revised every few weeks by the Argentine government who is about as predicable and dependable as ... Argentina ;-)

So how far ahead are flights approved? I still don't understand the website that is cited here. How can they know that certain dates from DFW are not approved when the government has not made any decisions?

The website is just journalism, a consolidation of information from available sources. What they say is approved is indeed generally approved and announced as so, however don’t take it a a guarantee - things can still change for a multitude of reasons.

No fixed schedule for approvals however. Generally every 2 weeks or so, but in May/ June we saw approvals coming only days before some flights we scheduled to take off.

Unfortunately this wishy-washy answer it’s just the way it is. You’re better off going via MIA if you possibly can. It’s all part and parcel of traveling to and from this country during a pandemic that is still in full swing down here.

With Friday's news of the reduced entry capacity has anyone with July flights gotten any info from airlines? I had my June 15th AA flight to DFW cancelled and rebooked for July 3rd and now waiting for it to be cancelled....

After my flight was cancelled, I went every day to the AA office on Avda. Santa Fe until I got rebooked and was able to depart from Argentina a week ago. You might want to do the same, but get an appointment first. Have your bags ready too, because they may give you a 24 hour notice.

Thanks for the advice @rickulivi, good to know -- I live in Jujuy which is why I need to get more notice so I can plan my 18 hour drive down to BA plus COVID test

Cholita: in your case, it may be easier to travel to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia and board a Boliviana de Aviacion to Miami. Also, have you contacted AA via whatsapp? They were more efficient responding via this system than their phones in the USA. Their whatsapp is +5491128897587. Good luck.
Did you know that the name Chola was the official title of the wife of the Inca? He had many mistresses, but only one Chola!

I've been completely considering the Santa Cruz de las Sierras option-- but I think I'd have to get special permission to enter Bolivia *legally* via land (land border is currently closed even though US tourists are allowed in via air travel with PCR) because I imagine I'd have problems with Bolivian Migraciones at the airport while flying out if I enter illegally.

Thanks so much for the whatsapp!!! Will try that...

I flew from Ezeiza to Santa Cruz in early May and returned three weeks later. If you are not Argentine but American you will need a visa but that can be purchased on arrival. Borders may be closed coming in to Argentina but are they closed going out via land?

Back