American Airlines cancelled my flight and booked me 18 days later. What to do?

I had booked a flight for next Wednesday, July 7th to MIA via JFK, sadly got the "changed flight, please call us" yesterday... I spent quite some time waiting on the AA app chat for customer support until an hour later an agent told me I'd be better off going straight to Ezeiza and trying to get added to some sort of standby list (my guess that was just to get me off the chat). I had also called the 0800 number in the US and requested a callback which I did get a couple of hours after chatting with agent #1, the callback agent was hard on the southern accent and I am certain he was in the US; what he told me gave me a better understanding of how AA operates with such government-issued rules like the one we have currently valid until 07/08/2021 reducing the number of landing passengers from 2000 to 600.
In essence, agent #2 told me to be prepared to request a refund at the website prefunds.aa.com, but before doing so, I should be holding a valid new trip on aa.com after 07/09 when the government allegedly opens up the borders again.

What are your thoughts here? I'm not an American nor an Argentine citizen and had to go to Miami to meet with my employer, the original trip was from 07/07 until 07/13.

It's a very difficult situation. Send a text to their whatsapp at +5491128897587. Good luck. It's thousands of people like you, so the solution does not appear simple.

it seems that's the same waitlist, the agent on the WA contact was unresponsive after 17:15, even though I replied to their offering to put me in such waitlist about 30 seconds they sent the message :(

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 18.47.46.png

I had booked a flight for next Wednesday, July 7th to MIA via JFK, sadly got the "changed flight, please call us" yesterday... I spent quite some time waiting on the AA app chat for customer support until an hour later an agent told me I'd be better off going straight to Ezeiza and trying to get added to some sort of standby list (my guess that was just to get me off the chat). I had also called the 0800 number in the US and requested a callback which I did get a couple of hours after chatting with agent #1, the callback agent was hard on the southern accent and I am certain he was in the US; what he told me gave me a better understanding of how AA operates with such government-issued rules like the one we have currently valid until 07/08/2021 reducing the number of landing passengers from 2000 to 600.
In essence, agent #2 told me to be prepared to request a refund at the website prefunds.aa.com, but before doing so, I should be holding a valid new trip on aa.com after 07/09 when the government allegedly opens up the borders again.

What are your thoughts here? I'm not an American nor an Argentine citizen and had to go to Miami to meet with my employer, the original trip was from 07/07 until 07/13.

I don't understand this. If your flight has been cancelled, doesn't AA have to rebook you? Why would you have to ask for a refund and buy another ticket? How can you buy a ticket if there are no flights?

I don't understand this. If your flight has been cancelled, doesn't AA have to rebook you? Why would you have to ask for a refund and buy another ticket? How can you buy a ticket if there are no flights?

that's exactly what I thought after hanging up with agent # 2. he just kept saying "what is going on in Argentina?, all I see in the system are zeros, there are no flights until your return on 07/13"
he also mentioned waiting a bit until AA updates the flights and that's when he insisted on having me HOLD another flight, go for the refund and purchase the aforementioned HELD ticket.

that's exactly what I thought after hanging up with agent # 2. he just kept saying "what is going on in Argentina?, all I see in the system are zeros, there are no flights until your return on 07/13"
he also mentioned waiting a bit until AA updates the flights and that's when he insisted on having me HOLD another flight, go for the refund and purchase the aforementioned HELD ticket.

That doesn't make sense. They sold you a ticket. How can they tell you to buy a new one at a different rate - and then HOPE for a refund? I'd ask for a supervisor.

The airlines are complaining that the demand has surged too quickly and they are having trouble getting new staff hired and trained. Also American is having computer problems. Meanwhile when they post a phantom flight they capture your money and your reservation. Often booking sites and home rental sites often keep their fees even if you cancel within the permitted time frame.

Back