Another Argentina Story........

The rental situation is imho badly managed in Argentina and it can be fixed with some changes that must be protected by law.

In regards to rental deposits they should be held in trust by the real estate agent and not by the owner as this creates an unprofessional situation. This deposit must be individually noted with all bills pertaining to the deposit kept in an envelope and at time of checkout the agent with the owner effects the checkout .

Now very few agents will keep your deposit as bad publicity is much much easier to affect a business than a property owner.

I know many people here try to avoid real estate agents but I have found dealing directly with owners never ever saves you monies . Property prices and rentals going by Solo duenos are in many cases dearer than many agencies here that value properties at market prices and not especulative prices.

perry said:
I know many people here try to avoid real estate agents but I have found dealing directly with owners never ever saves you monies .
Unfortunately I did go through an agent, paid a nice commission to him, and when this problem happened he said "Sorry, not my problem".

cruizes said:
Unfortunately I did go through an agent, paid a nice commission to him, and when this problem happened he said "Sorry, not my problem".

Well it is his problem and he must be made aware of this in the strongest terms. Post his details here and I will get my broker to call him.

cruizes said:
Feel better now?

I can only imagine your frustration, but you were given plenty of advice in your other thread and there were important things you could have done. Of course this doesn´t mean you are not right! I didn´t mean to make you feel worse, sorry if I did. I think now you have to let your agent know that your experience will be made public and both them and the landlord reported to AFIP and as much expat media as possible ( and please do it just so these clowns get what they deserve and you get some peace of mind )

nikad said:
I can only imagine your frustration, but you were given plenty of advice in your other thread and there were important things you could have done. Of course this doesn´t mean you are not right! I didn´t mean to make you feel worse, sorry if I did. I think now you have to let your agent know that your experience will be made public and both them and the landlord reported to AFIP and as much expat media as possible ( and please do it just so these clowns get what they deserve and you get some peace of mind )
I did everything that was suggested to me and got no where with the exception of AFIP. I really doubt if anyone would listen to me about a local paying taxes or not. That's like someone calling the IRS and saying Joe Blow hasn't paid tax on rental income. I really doubt if it would make any impact. An attorney friend here did write the agent as well as the owner demanding the money. She told the agent that it was his responsibility as much as the owners. Will be interesting how this plays out. But thank you for your kind words above.

Cruizes I spoke to the real estate agents now and they were most apologetic but told me that the owner is very angry with you due to bringing unwanted guests to the property . I told her clearly that this is not a reason to retain a rental deposit and that the bond is only retained in case of damage to the property or unpaid rent.

The agency does know of the thread and they are concerned about the bad publicity . They told me that they will do their best to help

cruizes said:
I did everything that was suggested to me and got no where with the exception of AFIP. I really doubt if anyone would listen to me about a local paying taxes or not. That's like someone calling the IRS and saying Joe Blow hasn't paid tax on rental income. I really doubt if it would make any impact. An attorney friend here did write the agent as well as the owner demanding the money. She told the agent that it was his responsibility as much as the owners. Will be interesting how this plays out. But thank you for your kind words above.

I remember seeing on TV not too long ago, these commercials by AFIP encouraging citizens to report tax evasion from any businesses, so they might do something about it. I think both the landlord´s and agents info should be posted to as many expat and tourist boards, blogs, forums,mailing lists,classified ads such as Craigslist, etc to warn other people about it, in the event they decide to steal and keep the deposit that is rightfully yours. Not to forget that they gave you no notice and you were almost evicted and I believe this is quite a humiliating situation for anybody to go through. They should actually indemnify you! People with such shady practices deserve to go out of business.

Here you have info on how to report them http://www.afip.gob.ar/guiaDeServicios/documentos/Denuncias.pdf Legally they should have invoiced you and should have charged VAT on the rental operation,commission, etc. If they didn´t invoice you properly they are evading taxes. Also, I believe that properties that are advertised as touristic rentals must meet certain guidelines and should be inspected, I will find out where to ;)

cabrera said:
You like us all to feel as negative as you are about Argentina? Maybe your attitude has caused all these problems!!!!

What is wrong with you?

Back