Any Canadian With A Baby Born In Argentina???

shoush

Registered
So, im in Canada, and you wouldn't believe how annoying it is to try to reach immigration Canada! i went down to the the head office and they gave me a phone number, which is ALWAYS busy!
so i thought id try here!
has anyone that is Canadian with an Argentine partner had a baby in Argentina? if so, was it difficult to get the baby a Canadian citizen???
I was told by some that it should just be lots of paperwork, which is ok, as long as there are no new rules, like we need to be living in Canada with the baby for X amount of years, which is impossible,
does the baby automatically get the canadian citizen when all the paperwork is done???
Of course if he/she is born in Canada then automatically they will have the citizenship, just weighing the options to see if its just easier that way, although i would rather give birth in Argentina for personal reasons!
thanks for the help!

How frustrating! Sounds like Canada is taking a cue from Argentina with the busy phone line trick! I don't know if this helps much but I am a Canadian born abroad to Canadian parents, it wasn't difficult to apply but I do remember that I originally applied (via mail at the time) in Ottawa but it was backed up and finally found it more streamlined to do it through the Vancouver office, now it is done online though, I think.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/argentina-argentine/consular_services_consulaires/citizenship-citoyennete.aspx?lang=eng

The law was changed in 2009 -- but as long as you were born in Canada, you should have no problem getting the lil one citizenship. Don't stress as you don't have to do it right after the birth or anything.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=365&t=5

In your place, I'd be more worried about the whole 'habitual residence' thing for the child if things went south but that is just a reaction to the stories you hear, including some on this forum.

So, im in Canada, and you wouldn't believe how annoying it is to try to reach immigration Canada! i went down to the the head office and they gave me a phone number, which is ALWAYS busy!
so i thought id try here!
has anyone that is Canadian with an Argentine partner had a baby in Argentina? if so, was it difficult to get the baby a Canadian citizen???
I was told by some that it should just be lots of paperwork, which is ok, as long as there are no new rules, like we need to be living in Canada with the baby for X amount of years, which is impossible,
does the baby automatically get the canadian citizen when all the paperwork is done???
Of course if he/she is born in Canada then automatically they will have the citizenship, just weighing the options to see if its just easier that way, although i would rather give birth in Argentina for personal reasons!
thanks for the help!

Hi Shoush -- contact the canadian embassy via email in Buenos Aires (don't bother with phone, they don't answer questions over the phone, but they will respond to emails within 24hrs)

Here's their info:

Consular Section / Section Consulaire / Sección Consular
Canadian Embassy / Ambassade de Canada / Embajada de Canadá
Tagle 2828
1425 Buenos Aires
Argentina
Tel: (54-11) 4808-1086/5
Fax: (54-11) 4808-1111
www.buenosaires.gc.ca

[email protected]

-----------------
For a baby born outside of Canada it's easy to get citizenship and passport. It's not loads of paperwork, it's like one form, a photo and then documents you will already have in your possession, a processing fee and then a wait. You cannot apply for a passport until you have a date of travel to Canada. You need to apply for the citizenship card first. It takes up to 14mos to receive the card, but as long as the process has been initiated you can apply for the passport -- I think you can do them in tandem, I can't remember exactly, but I know our baby was born in July, that our citizenship card took 10mos to come through but his passport was issued in Nov (first passport only valid 2 years and his expires this Nov 2013).

You do NOT have to have the baby live in Canada for any period at all. The only rule that has changed is that your foreign-born Canadian citzen can no longer pass on their citizenship eternally. If they want their baby to be Canadian they will have to have taken up residence in Canada at the time of it's birth. This was basically because the govt got sick and tired of 3rd gen Canadians who have never stepped foot in the country suddenly showing up on the radar when the sh$% hits the fan, or when they decide to file for CPP when they never contributed.

Anyway, you can't worry about your future grandkids, just get the paperwork in order for your kid!

Before you can get the Canadian passport, you have to get them their citizenship card. Email the address above and they will send you the necessary forms. This is what they sent me in 2011:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Children born abroad to a Canadian mother / father*
(*for children born on or after April 17, 2009, the Canadian mother or father must have been born in Canada or must havebeen grantedCanadian citizenship after immigrating to Canada)

You may download form Cit0001 from the following website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

The application must be supported by the following documents:

[indent=1.5]1) your child's original birth record (copy of the Civil Registry=s original entry certified by the Civil Registry. >Certificados de nacimiento= are not accepted) and a translation of the certificate into English or French by a sworn translator;[/indent]

2) the mother and/or father's original proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or citizenship card);
3) 2 photos (see instructions attached);
4) child's DNI , Argentine passport or valid id
5) fee (CAD$ 75 in exact change or the equivalent in pesos) -

Processing time for a citizenship application takes from 12 to 14 months.

The application and other requirements may be mailed to the address below or be submitted in person from Monday through Thursday from 2.00 pm to 4.30 pm.

Sincerely,

------------------------

And this, which in retrospect is essentiallly like a FAQ created by me and the consulate!

1) Do I have to apply for citizenship for my child first and then once approved apply for the passport, or can we do both at once?
You can only apply for a passport if you have proof of travel. If you do, you can submit both applications at the same time. Otherwise you must apply for the citizenship first.

2) What Argentine documents will we need to have for the baby before applying for either the passport or the certificate of citizenship -- does the Certificado de Nacimiento suffice or do we need to wait until we have the DNI as well?
We will need original birth certificate + translation and DNI or Argentine passport. The baby will need the Argentine passport to leave Argentina.

3) Do we need to have these documents translated or apostilled before applying? Are there particular translators you use or can we just choose one from the Colegio de Traductores?
Only the birth certificate must be translated, no authentication required. We will mail you a list of translators but you can use any sworn translator.

4) Do we have to wait until we have a date of travel to Canada before we can take out the child's Canadian passport?
Yes.

5) Finally, is there a particular photographer in Capital Federal that you recommend for taking the passport photos? (And should we wait until the child is X days/weeks old before taking the photo?)
We will send you a separate email that contains the instrucions for the photos. No minimun age required.

6) Do I need Form PPTC 132 (Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor) as I don't know anyone here in Buenos Aires that fits the category of a guarantor?

Your husband can apply for the passport if he has a guarantor in Argentina. Any parent can be the applicant.

------------

I have the word docs that had the photo specs on them and addresses where to go, I can fwd that to you too, though they might have updated the list a bit in the past two years.

When you apply for your child's first passport note that it's only valid 2 years and they ding you for it here, costs like 25 bucks more and takes 2 weeks to process. Ours expires in November and I'll be home in October so will get him the replacement when at home, costs less, issued faster, and I think it may even be valid longer.

Thank you so much for all the info! So helpful!!!
I wasn't born in Canada but was naturalized at 2 years old when we moved there and lived there permanently so I'm assuming it should be ok!

Thank you so much for all the info! So helpful!!!
I wasn't born in Canada but was naturalized at 2 years old when we moved there and lived there permanently so I'm assuming it should be ok!
Sounds like my situation too.
We are planning a trip to visit my folks, so I went down the the Canadian Consulate to talk with Natalia Grosso. She said that it was fairly easy, but that the paperwork may not arrive in time. In that case my daughter could enter on visa. (although, she did mention that as a child of a Canadian citizen, that she should enter Canada as a citizen with a Canadian passport. This part was confusing.)

I did some digging, and there are a slew of new rules. Citizenship for children born to Canadians outside of Canada entitles that child to citizenship, but that´s it. If my daughter were to have a child outside of Canada...that´s it...no automatic citizenship for the [grandchild].

It´s more complicated than it used to be, but I understand the logic behind it after decades of open doors.

@syngirl - Great post! This will help me too :) Thanks very much.

Sounds like my situation too.
We are planning a trip to visit my folks, so I went down the the Canadian Consulate to talk with Natalia Grosso. She said that it was fairly easy, but that the paperwork may not arrive in time. In that case my daughter could enter on visa. (although, she did mention that as a child of a Canadian citizen, that she should enter Canada as a citizen with a Canadian passport. This part was confusing.)

I did some digging, and there are a slew of new rules. Citizenship for children born to Canadians outside of Canada entitles that child to citizenship, but that´s it. If my daughter were to have a child outside of Canada...that´s it...no automatic citizenship for the [grandchild].

It´s more complicated than it used to be, but I understand the logic behind it after decades of open doors.

@syngirl - Great post! This will help me too :) Thanks very much.

I'm not Canadian, but it sounds like Harperist xenophobia to me.

out of curiosity, if my baby were born in Canada, would my grandchild (one day) be eligible to a Canadian citizenship???
im not going to over think 30 years in the future, but Im definitely curious about it!
and yes, Syncgirl, that was super helpful, they need you to work for in the government building in Calgary!!!!

Yes, that was helpful! Having read this I guess I need to head back to Canada to have my baby...

FWIW, I've never ever had a problem reaching the embassy here. Always courteous on the phone and over email. Far from terrible bureaucracy for someone used to living here - you bring the kid's DNI, proof of your citizenship, a photo (or 2?), and money. Not terribly complicated. Then wait a year (though we got ours in 6 months).

AFAIK, the new rules re 2nd gen Canadians passing on citizenship (or not) were taken up by the Liberals, before Harper. It does not apply to naturalized Canadians (immigrants), only to people who themselves inherited citizenship from their parents. So yes shoush, if your baby is born in Canada, he/she will be able to pass on citizenship to his/her/its children. (this is one of the cases where Spanish gender-neutral 'su' makes life much easier...) This is, of course, assuming the rules don't change in the meantime, which is a shaky assumption - they've changed every 25-30 years or so to date.

If you need to travel before you get the citizenship certificate (it's no longer a laminated card), I believe you can get a limited validity passport (good for 1 year only) on very short notice. Once you have all your documents you get a new passport with normal validity free of charge as long as the original one was for a child under 2 years of age.

Hope this helps.

Back