Any Google Fi Users?

GMXam

Registered
I’m contemplating subscribing to Google Fi for the next 6 weeks in addition to my normal plan as a test run to see how good this plan is in Argentina. Is anyone here currently using this service? If so, how do you like it?

i'm using project fi on a pixel 2. it works perfectly for me in argentina.

i don't make many phone calls or use many texts (only whatsapp) so it ends up being significantly cheaper than trying to use a US plan with international data.

This is the first I've heard about Google Fi. I often travel and one of the first things I have to do is waste a few hours buying sim cards. Would Google Fi. Would Google Fi eliminate this hassle? (I mainly use maps, whats app, email, and wifi apps)>

as long as they offer service in the country you are traveling to, yes, you would eliminate that hassle. you can check the list of countries on their site. because as soon as you get off the plane it will just connect to the local networks and you use your phone and data as normal.

I inquired via the Google Fi website. They emphasize that at this time its meant for use in USA. But they say that it will work instantly in Italy, Spain, Croatia, Argentina. The Iphone is still beta and seems to require them to do some handholding during installation. It requires a sim card that is only available in the USA. I'm thinking of ordering one to try on my next trip. Often, when I land, the airport phone stores aren't open or have lines, so I'm without maps or waze or whatsapp until I can find an open phone store and buy a local sim card.

They also told me that activating their sim card should be done in the US. It may be possible to activate it outside the US using a wifi but there may be problems

Since I wasn't familiar with Google Fi, I poked around their website after seeing this post. Just from my personal experience, but be aware that the reach of their network is hugely overstated on their coverage map.

They also told me that activating their sim card should be done in the US. It may be possible to activate it outside the US using a wifi but there may be problems

Yup. I’ll be trying this out in February. I’d love to use my iPhone but I’ve heard the switching between cellular and wifi calling was not seamless and that I’d be stick with TMobile nationwide if I didn’t use a “made for google-fi” phone. I thought about using the Pixel 3, but I’ll have to try that when I’m not pressed for time and will likely have to do it simultaneously with my current plan and iphone until I’ve made the transition successfully. My cellular costs are outrageous currently. Hoping to minimize that by switching.

Since I wasn't familiar with Google Fi, I poked around their website after seeing this post. Just from my personal experience, but be aware that the reach of their network is hugely overstated on their coverage map.

Yeah, if you get a google-fi-ready phone, you’re able to switch between 3 carriers in the US (TMobile, Sprint, and US Mobile-?). They have less rural coverage in the US which may be an issue for me.

My biggest concern though is international (primarily Argentina) coverage. My billed international service effectively doubled my bill. It would cost me the same amount to have my current plan and google-fi simultaneously, while I test it out.

Back