Any ideas? - unemployed.......

What about ODesk (and similar)? It sounds like someone with your skill set could actually earn a reasonable - compared to what most earn here - wage that way, once you build up a reputation.

No offense, but I don't think he's looking to make 200 pesos a week with a maid temp agency consisting of two employees. Did you all read his experience?

I know your English is good, can you speak Spanish like a native? If you can you could be an intrpeter over the phone. There are companies that do this. It's basically serving as a translator between Spanish speakers and doctors in hospitals, or like situations. You would need something like vonage to work it. You stay in Argentina but the calls are from the US.
You aren't going to get rich, you can probably earn 1200-1500 dollars a month. You would be paid by the minute, it's only part-time and you work from home. Might be worth doing until something better comes along. I think you can find these companies on the Internet, if you cannot let me know and I get some names who actually did this.

Davidglen77 said:
..... All of the clients were in the US and she couldn't wire money into the country. .......

I know what you mean. I wired once, then after that I couldn't anymore....

BUT, it's crazy, but PayPal works. You can pay individuals in Argentina with Paypal from the U.S., At least I have(pay yourself). Maybe a business that just excepts Paypal. You can set up very nice websites, without codeing, with Dreamweaver by adobe. Paypal has a merchant link that's very easy to set up. Just ship UPS(not USPS) and FedEx only, and send to customers directly. www.usglobalmail.com will repackage it for you if you don't want your customers to know where you bought it from, if I remember right.

Mark IV

Mark IV said:
I know what you mean. I wired once, then after that I couldn't anymore....

BUT, it's crazy, but PayPal works. You can pay individuals in Argentina with Paypal from the U.S., At least I have(pay yourself). Maybe a business that just excepts Paypal. You can set up very nice websites, without codeing, with Dreamweaver by adobe. Paypal has a merchant link that's very easy to set up. Just ship UPS(not USPS) and FedEx only, and send to customers directly. www.usglobalmail.com will repackage it for you if you don't want your customers to know where you bought it from, if I remember right.

Mark IV

The problem is for the locals. Getting money into paypal here is pretty easy, getting it out is costly.

First of all, to David and others that have recently lost your jobs I'm really sorry to hear that and hope you find something soon.

I did have a question to some of you in similar situations. Why stay in Argentina? Why not move to another country (possibly your home countries) where it would be much easier to find a job?

Do you all have quite a bit of savings/assets to fall back on for the future or retirement? I was just curious because when I lived in Buenos Aires, I met a few expats in their 30's, 40's and even 50's that didn't seem to have much in savings, no big retirement planned or too many assets. So I was always curious what the game plan is for retirement if you have been living out of the USA (or your home countries) for a while and then can't find work in Argentina for a while.

Most of the ones that I met over the years made it back to their home countries. I'm not sure how things turned out for them as I didn't keep in touch. But I always wondered about the implications for future retirement for some of these people.

Do you all worry about it much? I know many ex-pats living overseas have the "I'll worry about it later" attitude but do you worry about this?

Again, good luck with everything.

earlyretirement said:
First of all, to David and others that have recently lost your jobs I'm really sorry to hear that and hope you find something soon.

I did have a question to some of you in similar situations. Why stay in Argentina? Why not move to another country (possibly your home countries) where it would be much easier to find a job?

Do you all have quite a bit of savings/assets to fall back on for the future or retirement? I was just curious because when I lived in Buenos Aires, I met a few expats in their 30's, 40's and even 50's that didn't seem to have much in savings, no big retirement planned or too many assets. So I was always curious what the game plan is for retirement if you have been living out of the USA (or your home countries) for a while and then can't find work in Argentina for a while.

First, thanks for your kind wishes. I am confident that I will find something soon. I stay in Argentina because the person who I love is here. We are going on 4 years, while not a lifetime, it's something I am not willing to let go of just yet and especially not for financial reasons that thank goodness are not dire but I do need to work. If it were totally up to me, at this point we would leave and move to New York where I am originally from. That's not a possibility though for my partner as he is a long established professional here, speaks basic english and would be hard for him to get up and running in the USA, and then there is the immigration problem as well. We visited New York last year (his first time ever in the USA and he loved it). Without going into too much detail, I have planned somewhat for the future, I own some property and my 401k which I started when I was 18 years old. So while I do need to work to cover my everyday living expenses, while not wealthy by any means, I think I will be okay when I get old and want to retire.

Davidglen77 said:
First, thanks for your kind wishes. I am confident that I will find something soon. I stay in Argentina because the person who I love is here. We are going on 4 years, while not a lifetime, it's something I am not willing to let go of just yet and especially not for financial reasons that thank goodness are not dire but I do need to work. If it were totally up to me, at this point we would leave and move to New York where I am originally from. That's not a possibility though for my partner as he is a long established professional here, speaks basic english and would be hard for him to get up and running in the USA, and then there is the immigration problem as well. We visited New York last year (his first time ever in the USA and he loved it). Without going into too much detail, I have planned somewhat for the future, I own some property and my 401k which I started when I was 18 years old. So while I do need to work to cover my everyday living expenses, while not wealthy by any means, I think I will be okay when I get old and want to retire.

Thanks so much for sharing your story David. I always find it interesting to hear about different personal stories. Definitely it sounds like in your situation it would be difficult to move back to the USA without your loved one.

Definitely great as well to hear about the property ownership and also the 401K. It sounds like you've thought it through and have that to fall back on. That is far from some of the other ex-pats I met in Buenos Aires over the years.

Some of them had no savings at all and didn't own any property (where they could receive cash flow from rentals).

Thanks again for sharing your story. I hope you bounce back quite soon. I don't blame the business owners for leaving Argentina however. It's a brutal place to own a company.

I just wanted to send a really warm and heartfelt thanks to those of you who have offered me first and foremost moral support, helpful ideas for job searching and to those who sent me private messages with job leads and offers to distribute my résumé I am really really thankful for this wonderful group of people here. I have been a member going on 6 years now, have met some of you, and have communicated with others. I really cherish the support and friends I have made here. Thank you all, very very much!

Dear [FONT=&quot]Davidglen77, I saw your message and I'm looking for somebody to fill a position in my company. Please send me a message perhaps I can offer you a nice job. [/FONT]

Back