Any Interest In Monthly Book Club?

So this is looking promising. We now have the date, Friday the 26 of July. Time preference: 1-2:30, 3:00-4:30, 5-6:30? One o'clock start would be pot luck lunch, 3 coffee/tea, 5 coffee or cocktails? Please state your preference among these time slots. The neighborhood is Recoleta, one block from the Recoleta Shopping. I'll send the exact address to all via PM after we finalize the time ...

I could come at any of those times - prefer earlier, only to avoid the rush hour going home on on Line A, but it it´s not that big a deal. Anyone have any suggestions on books? Preferably not Don Quixote (yes, I know, great literature, etc.) - but I was in a book club in Quebec years ago, it was going fine until someone chose Don Quixote, and that was the end of me...
Thanks for making the effort to organise it!
cheers, Sarah

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a Pakistani in our midst!!

Oh we would enthusiastically accept an Afghani -- we could read the poetry of Rumi together! I of course know the ouevre of Coleman Barks inside out (his talent for making the ancient modern blows my mind!) but I often wonder how accurate are his translations, knowing that he doesn't speak Persian himself! I of course, like every budding child attracted by "the other" went through a deep Rumi phase long, long ago.

And we would enthusiastically accept a Bengali -- we could read Tagore together! I've often wondered how he sounds in the original, I have no idea, having not yet made it to Dhaka. Oh if we only had a Bengali in our literary group!

But, ladies and gentlefolk, a Pakistani!!! Please, teach us, we naive 'Americans' (yes, all-inclusive to everyone from any part of these continents even the forgotten corners like Guyana), teach us about your Pakistani Literature! I will confess my ignorance as to Urdu literature, I have never read one Urdu poet -- I'm so ignorant, I can't even name one! Perhaps we can start with a Paki Poet!!!! Whom would you recommend? And which translator would you recommend, too?

-morgan

If you can allow Pakistani. I would love to join.

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is a Pakistani in our midst!!

Oh we would enthusiastically accept an Afghani -- we could read the poetry of Rumi together! I of course know the ouevre of Coleman Barks inside out (his talent for making the ancient modern blows my mind!) but I often wonder how accurate are his translations, knowing that he doesn't speak Persian himself! I of course, like every budding child attracted by "the other" went through a deep Rumi phase long, long ago.

And we would enthusiastically accept a Bengali -- we could read Tagore together! I've often wondered how he sounds in the original, I have no idea, having not yet made it to Dhaka. Oh if we only had a Bengali in our literary group!

But, ladies and gentlefolk, a Pakistani!!! Please, teach us, we naive 'Americans' (yes, all-inclusive to everyone from any part of these continents even the forgotten corners like Guyana), teach us about your Pakistani Literature! I will confess my ignorance as to Urdu literature, I have never read one Urdu poet -- I'm so ignorant, I can't even name one! Perhaps we can start with a Paki Poet!!!! Whom would you recommend? And which translator would you recommend, too?

-morgan
Notwithstanding all the foregoing, I think that the answer is ´yes, on principle, we can allow Pakistanis´

Is it elitist to grant automatic membership to people from countries like Pakistan that were formerly colonized by... GREAT BRITAIN. So I assume, by this very same principle you follow, that people from Zimbabwe, Guyana, and quirky "Canada" (which has its own Parliament and laws!!!) probably can be admitted to the Club as well, with no other questions or requirements. Hum, hum. Do you grant the same automatic membership in the club to men and women from countries settled by Belgium also? Oh, if only there were some Congolese in Buenos Aires...!

-morgan

Notwithstanding all the foregoing, I think that the answer is ´yes, on principle, we can allow Pakistanis´

I repeat, EVERYONE is welcome , including babies and old folk! However we will be speaking in English. Since there doesn't seem to be a strong time preference I will set the first meeting time for 3:00 -4:30 on Friday, July 26. Since we don't have a previously assigned book to read I thought we could come prepared to share our favorite books with the hope of selecting our official titles for the next six months or so at the first meeting. I will PM all interested parties with my address and phone number next week. Thanks for your support!

Is it elitist to grant automatic membership to people from countries like Pakistan that were formerly colonized by... GREAT BRITAIN. So I assume, by this very same principle you follow, that people from Zimbabwe, Guyana, and quirky "Canada" (which has its own Parliament and laws!!!) probably can be admitted to the Club as well, with no other questions or requirements. Hum, hum. Do you grant the same automatic membership in the club to men and women from countries settled by Belgium also? Oh, if only there were some Congolese in Buenos Aires...!

-morgan

I suppose by this same principle that even people from Massachusetts might be welcomed?

Hello everyone, thanks for the great interest! Again, the first meeting will be held Friday, July 26 at 3:00 in Recoleta. I will provide hot and cold beverages and would appreciate if others bring a snack. We will be using the discussion time to talk about our favorite books and choose the selections for the following months. I will PM all interested members with the exact address this week. For now our selections will be in English. See you all soon!
Alicia

Back