Any suggestion on things to do in Mar Del Plata

G

Guille Amejka

Hola,

We are planning a week get-a-way to Mar Del Plata. Beside the obvious Beach, Sun and Fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc.

Thanks in Advance!

Saludos,
Guille

I hope you find sharing a beach with half a million people to be fun. Half of the city of Buenos Aires escapes to Mar del Plata in January.

I don't know much in the way of restaurants, I was only there for 2 days, but there is a light house and an aquarium just south of the city. The beaches there are also much cleaner, has real waves (the rest of the beaches have breakwaters) and generally has less people.

There's a fairly generic website at www.mardelplata.com but the rather better www.mardelplatanews.com seems to have vanished off the web. The latter was run by a baexpats member MichelleAlison and even though I don't think she has been seen hereabouts for a while, you could try a PM to her account.

http://www.churrosmanolo.com/locations.html
best churros ever!
Mar del Plata is way too crowded,as stated above. YOu'll be lucky if you find a place to sit on the more popular beaches. Heat South and go towards Punta Mogotes. You can take a taxi or a bus. the balnearios there are less crowded and youll pay a fee to get in, but it's worth it! The fee includes lockers, showers, etc. Also don't miss the harbor with the very smelly sea lions, for which Mar del Plata is famous. If you like photography, the very colorful fishermen's boats just by themselves are worth it! You can grab a bite of fresh fish and seafood by the harbor as well. If you are looking for great seafood and a real treat, my fave restaurant close to the harbor, for dinner is Viento en Popa. You have to reserve and way in advance, it is very popular. But really fantastic. In town, the water tower is worth walking up to. great views. if you want to take a short side trip, take a bus to santa clara del mar.
running along the promenade along the ocean is also great.
Again, all of the above if you don't mind being packed with a lot of people like a sardine in a can!

For breakfast and merienda, go to Confiteria Boston, for the best medialunas in town. There are many branches in town, one in the shopping mall, other in Playa Varese and another at Buenos Aires street.

There is a pedestrian street, San Martin, I think you are not going to find nothing special there. The two streets to go for a walk are Alem and Guemes, they are like 8 blocks away to each other.

Avenida Juan B Justo is where the wool sweters and winter jackets are sold, the traditional idea is that the are cheap, but I dont know know. At Juan B Justo near the water there is a huge market with a lot of shops, cheap in theory.

I know that many years ago you were able to ride horses at Parque Camet, further north of the city.

Surfers go to Waikiki beach. That beach has a huge restaurant buildt in eight faces. This beach if at the south, 30 blocks after the puerto. You have a wonderful sight of the city and big waves at the ocean sea.

There is a golf place near the puerto.

Santa Clara del Mar is very nice, a little town with more forest. It is 18 km north of MDP.

I ate delicious paella for many years at La Paella restaurant, located at Entre Rios street, near Moreno and Belgrano streets.

Do you speak Spanish?

Hi all,

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!!!

Roxana - I speak at an intermediate level of Spanish. Why do you ask?

Saludos,
Guille

My best friend lives in Mar del Plata, you might contact her for tips from a local.

Back