Suggestions for other towns

Jenn King

Registered
I had planned to go to Buenos Aires and find an apartment in the Palermo neighborhood. For a few reasons, I think I am going to change my plans. I will probably stay in a hotel for a week while I try to arrange an extension of the 90-day limit in some way (not quite sure what the easiest or fastest way is to do this). Then, I need to find a place that I can get a decent internet connection, that is as safe as possible for a solo female, preferably on the quiet side, and above all - free of excrement or other sources of continuous noxious odors. Someone suggested Mar del Plata and I will look into that; although another person said it stinks of dead fish. I would be okay with the dead fish if it was just every now and again. If it's every day, I would give up the beach and go elsewhere. Anyway, I like the climate (mild winters), the cost of living that is supposed to be low due to the Blue Dollar exchange rate, and I have been trying to learn Spanish. Also, I have read that it's easy to stay over 90 days on a passport as long as you cross the border and come back before your 90 days is up. This seems simple - if I was staying in Buenos Aires. But now that I won't be in Buenos Aires, that might be significantly more difficult since I can't just take the ferry to Uruguay for a couple of nights. So, for all of those reasons Argentina was appealing. It still is but likely just a different town. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know.

Jenn

I commented in the other thread (link here), but La Cumbre, Cordoba is a nice small town in the foothills of the Sierras west of the city of Cordoba (the 2nd largest city in Argentina). The winter, however, gets fairly cold, I wouldn't call it mild. If you're really looking for a first-world place, Monaco might be the place for you. As I recall, Monaco (on the Mediterranean) has zero dog poop on the sidewalk and is extremely clean and safe. But bring a lot of money.

I am afraid you are a victim of yourself. If I wrote, "It rains pink elephants in Palermo".....you would conclude...."Well, someone (an expert in pink elephants), says in Palermo it rains pink elephants so I had better not go there..... I'll try Cordoba because there are no pink elephants...so far.

For Jenn King

I am afraid you are a victim of yourself. If I wrote, "It rains pink elephants in Palermo".....you would conclude...."Well, someone (an expert in pink elephants), says in Palermo it rains pink elephants so I had better not go there..... I'll try Cordoba because there are no pink elephants...so far.

For Jenn King

This sarcastic post implies that Jenn is not capable of diifferentiating realiy from fantasy and arrogantly assumes that she would believe a 78 year man whose (apparently to me) sole purpose of making such post was to belittle her just to get a few laughs and perhsps a few likes.

Why would you say something so personally insulting and not actuallu based on the reality of the posts in which Jenn expressrd legitimate concerns about the excess of dog shit on the sidewalks of Buenos Aires or the smell of rotting fish in some areas, as well as noise and personal safety ?

I thoght of mentioning Puerto Madeta as possibly having less dog shit on the sidewalks but my next thought was that it quite possibly lead all other barrios (rxcept La Boca?) in the number of tourists who have died while or shortly after being robbed outside of their hotel. I hadn't thought of the rotting fish odpr.

PS. There may be one "up-side: to having to watch out for dog shit on the sidewalks: Looking down a lot while walking would greatly reduce the risk of tripping on the broken and/or missing tiles of the sidedwalks...and the broken tiles probably outnumber the piles of poop by the tens of thousands.

PD2: I lived in Recoleta for three years and Nuñez for one year before leaving Capital Federal for another location in Argrntins in 2010....and I am still here There is no dog shit on the sidewalks anywhere near my house...no sidewalks, either

Last edited:
This sarcastic post implies that Jenn is not capable of diifferentiating realiy from fantasy and arrogantly assumes that she would believe a 78 year man whose (apparently to me) sole purpose of making such post was to belittle her just to get a few laughs and perhsps a few likes.

Why would you say something so personally insulting and not actuallu based on the reality of the posts in which Jenn expressrd legitimate concerns about the excess of dog shit on the sidewalks of Buenos Aires or the smell of rotting fish in some areas, as well as noise and personal safety ?

I thoght of mentioning Puerto Madeta as possibly having less dog shit on the sidewalks but my next thought was that it quite possibly lead all other barrios (rxcept La Boca?) in the number of tourists who have died while or shortly after being robbed outside of their hotel. I hadn't thought of the rotting fish odpr.

PS. There may be one "up-side: to having to watch out for dog shit on the sidewalks: Looking down a lot while walking would greatly reduce the risk of tripping on the broken and/or missing tiles of the sidedwalks...and the broken tiles probably outnumber the piles of poop by the tens of thousands.

PD2: I lived in Recoleta for three years and Nuñez for one year before leaving Capital Federal for another location in Argrntins in 2010....and I am still here There is no dog shit on the sidewalks anywhere near my house...no sidewalks, either
Careful...you too may make it to 78 and then YOU may receive the scorn of a 'stevenbasas' type of age discrimination. Jeez, what would Charley Munger have done if you had been someone worth listening to and he was silenced for his last 21 years?

I had planned to go to Buenos Aires and find an apartment in the Palermo neighborhood. For a few reasons, I think I am going to change my plans. I will probably stay in a hotel for a week while I try to arrange an extension of the 90-day limit in some way (not quite sure what the easiest or fastest way is to do this). Then, I need to find a place that I can get a decent internet connection, that is as safe as possible for a solo female, preferably on the quiet side, and above all - free of excrement or other sources of continuous noxious odors. Someone suggested Mar del Plata and I will look into that; although another person said it stinks of dead fish. I would be okay with the dead fish if it was just every now and again. If it's every day, I would give up the beach and go elsewhere. Anyway, I like the climate (mild winters), the cost of living that is supposed to be low due to the Blue Dollar exchange rate, and I have been trying to learn Spanish. Also, I have read that it's easy to stay over 90 days on a passport as long as you cross the border and come back before your 90 days is up. This seems simple - if I was staying in Buenos Aires. But now that I won't be in Buenos Aires, that might be significantly more difficult since I can't just take the ferry to Uruguay for a couple of nights. So, for all of those reasons Argentina was appealing. It still is but likely just a different town. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know.

Jenn
You sound like a large loud American. You need to go back to where that is appreciated.

Back