Anybody else notice coffee recently not tasting good?

Cafe Martinez usually has the best quality to price ratio for beans.

Cafe Martinez usually has the best quality to price ratio for beans.
Yes, but, it's Brazilian. This means several things -
It's robusta, not indica
It has that muddy taste from being grown at low altitude
It's sprayed with particularly nasty dangerous agricultural chemicals

"Extreme weather is making coffee cost more and taste worse, report finds" reads the headline on Euronews.com but if you Google 'a bad year for coffee growers' you'll find plenty of articles explaining why coffee growing is struggling all over the world and has been for several years.

There must be at least 20 different small independent coffee roasters in Buenos Aires. They are the best ones to ask questions. They all import green coffee beans from many of the coffee producing countries as well as Columbia and Brazil. There are many sub-types besides the big category of either arabica vs robusta. Then the technique of how they are fermented and dried, and all the other variables of coffee production.

When I need a quick "fast food" coffee I go to those big chains like Starbucks or Martinez (almost everyday). Then also any random cafe. Still I always start the day grinding at home from beans I bought from a small batch independent roaster.

It's a myth that Brazilian coffee is mostly robusta, production there is 70% arabica and 30% robusta. The big robusta producers are in Asia, like Indonesia and Vietnam, and I doubt much of their production makes it over here. The vendor should make it clear what type it is anyway (and I don't know what cafe indica would be).

The Brazilian growing regions are a bit lower than the Colombian ones (8000-1200m in Minas Gerais and SaoPaulo, vs 2000-2500m, but both are lower than the Ethopian highland growing regions.

I think Brazilian coffee has come a long way since it was sold as ready-ground robusta mixed with black beans ;)

There must be at least 20 different small independent coffee roasters in Buenos Aires. They are the best ones to ask questions. They all import green coffee beans from many of the coffee producing countries as well as Columbia and Brazil. There are many sub-types besides the big category of either arabica vs robusta. Then the technique of how they are fermented and dried, and all the other variables of coffee production.

How would I go about finding one at least somewhat near to Villa Urquiza?

I'm just not willing to spend 60-90 minutes on the Subte going to buy coffee.

google tostadores café Villa Urquiza. I like the walk from there to Belgrano or Núñez and there are cafes along the way. I go inside with or without recon from google search. Ask if they roast or buy from a local roaster. A smallish roasting machine could be in the back room or side garage. Local coffee roaster growth has grown similar to the artisanal cerveza boom of the 10+ years. The LabCafe Toasters I linked above is the first I remember in 2000s, and suspect has spawned the next gen. Unfortunately I suspect there are ones now that might just resell high priced beans in colorful bags. If the bags do not have air release valve then I do not buy.

If they have a cone drip system, like the old Melitta which is now fashionable and called V60, or a French Press Aeropress then I expect they roast their own coffee. Aeropress is probably only on display since the imported paper filters are overpriced. I am happy with industrial filtered drip system like Starbucks cafe del día. If they have only “americano” watered down espresso then I leave. The trend seems to be selling single serve capsules, which I still resist since I like my home coffee making rituals.

Altolaguirre 2197 Boreal Café
Virrey Olaguer y Feliú 4095 Cofi Lab CofiJaus
Mendoza 5242 Porta Negra Café

hopefully all the good ones will learn to be forthcoming and transparent about their process. Like an independent one from Patagonia is as they explain here https://cafedelirante.com.ar/nosotros/

I'm just not willing to spend 60-90 minutes on the Subte going to buy coffee.
have you checked modo barista from earlier in the thread?

i used these guys in https://www.cafedelivery.com/ . Their shop is near my house in Caballito so it wasn't too far when i would be in BA vs provincia. They sell en grano or molido if you want.

Personally i am happy with a french press or bialetti ... or just a drip coffee with decent colombian beans.

all of which i have at the house.

Back