Anybody else notice coffee recently not tasting good?

Has anyone noticed that, literally, ALL supermarkets are OUT of coffee (except for some cheap brands with sugar)? The specialty stores have priced themselves to the sky with 250g at 6000-10000!

I'm not a thrifty shopper but, lo and behold, in Carrefour yesterday I saw COFFEE! It was 500g for 8300 pesos. Then on Mercado Libre the same stuff was double. I've never used that service but something must be drastically amiss!

Attachments

• 6C1DBAD9-BDF8-42BC-8AEB-B24E7DC39AFE.jpeg
    6C1DBAD9-BDF8-42BC-8AEB-B24E7DC39AFE.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm not a thrifty shopper but, lo and behold, in Carrefour yesterday I saw COFFEE! It was 500g for 8300 pesos. Then on Mercado Libre the same stuff was double. I've never used that service but something must be drastically amiss!

Perhaps I could be called more than a "thrifty shopper" (considering the fact that I call myself an "economizer" rather than flaunt my degree (which I never used to get a job) and call myself an economist).

There has never been a significant shortage of coffee in the stores here.

There isn't really anything "amiss" on Mercado Libre. Sellers are free to offer whatever they have for sale at any price they wish.

Here are three examples I just found on Mercado Libre for one kilo of La Virginia coffee torrado:

Note that the expiration date for the most expensive 1 kilo is January 2024!

PS: I don't drink cafe torrado, but one of my neighbors does. I bought several 1 kilo bags for him in January of 2022 for $620 pesos each in the local supermarket. The expiration date was January of 2023.

At the same time, if I remember correctly, the average price for the same coffee on mercado libre was well under $1.000 pesos for one kilo, but was nowhere close the the $620 pesos per kilo offered locally..

Last edited:
roasted beans really are best used up to a few months after roasting. even less if it is already ground. it could still be those beans were packaged recently (likely not).

best coffee beans that you can find will be from puerto blest in villa crespo. they import and roast, and they’re the best positioned of the market to weather import problems - they have a stock of many millions of dollars of green (unroasted) coffee beans in-country, meaning they’ll always have stock of freshly roasted coffee

(there is apparently a global combination of increased demand for coffee and chocolate, especially higher quality, with reduced supply causing much coffee around the world to drop in quality)

Has anyone found *light* roast coffee here? I haven’t found any

Back