Anyone bought us$ this week?

mjake said:
I imagine the law counts for all foreign currency?
I would be happy to get about 400CHF. Is there an easy and reasonable way?

I've been told that the new rules/checks are for all currencies not just USD.

I was told the same thing at the cambio houses trying to get GBP instead of $. You need atm receipts to prove you withdrew the money here (this is where I fail) as a bank statement etc. is not accepted.
You could go to AFIP and complete some forms but I feel this is intrusive so I'm going to wait it out for better or worse

I was talking to a fellow kiwi last night, who has a couple of argentine friends that work at banks here. They told her that not one US$ buy request by their customers has been authorised at their banks since the new laws.

They said that the AFIP either reject the request straight away via computer, or if the computer system down, they phone AFIP and there is no answer.

When i tried to exchange US$ travellers cheques for peso (yes i was selling US$) they tired to phone AFIP and no answer also.

Has anyone managed to change pesos to something else in the last week as i have heard lots of rejections of request and not 1 of someone being able to buy US$ or Euros ?

Tried to buy dollars yesterday at my normal place in Puerto Madero. Impossible. The girls tried everything, ringing AFIP, talking to their head office etc, but no luck. At least I didn't have to cue to be told this. Awkward however as I am moving to a new apartment and had to tell my landlord that I had failed! He was relaxed about it though, even though I told him I refused to pay black market prices.

Anyway, all good from my point of view. A bit of devaluation (which is now sure to happen at some stage) will help the economy as well as my spending power, though it would be much better if they got rid of the "dual currency" and insisted that legally binding domestic contracts of any kind were in pesos.

Miles Lewis said:
Tried to buy dollars yesterday at my normal place in Puerto Madero. Impossible. The girls tried everything, ringing AFIP, talking to their head office etc, but no luck. At least I didn't have to cue to be told this. Awkward however as I am moving to a new apartment and had to tell my landlord that I had failed! He was relaxed about it though, even though I told him I refused to pay black market prices.

Anyway, all good from my point of view. A bit of devaluation (which is now sure to happen at some stage) will help the economy as well as my spending power, though it would be much better if they got rid of the "dual currency" and insisted that legally binding domestic contracts of any kind were in pesos.

Did you show ATM receipts? I am going tomorrow and hoping the ATM receipts will be enough.

Just to provide an update, I was unable to get any money even with the ATM receipts. I went to a Casa de Cambio and they told me to go to Banco Piano. I went to Banco Piano and they said I need authorization from the AFIP. I went to the AFIP and they told me there is no way to get dollars (even though I am a US Citizen and make dollars).

Now I have a headache.

Smcali23 said:
Quick question -

A couple of people have referred to this already in this thread, but my wife's parents have a long-term rental (2 year contracts, not temporary) in dollars.

Just wondering if it's legal or not, because the land lady's going ballistic about the idea of not getting paid in dollars (due to these issues) and I would like to be able to give some informed advice on what their rights are in this respect.

It is legal:

Los contratos en dólares están permitidos pero son considerados peligrosos por los inquilinos que tienen remuneración pesificada.

"Rental agreements in USD are allowed, but considered dangerous by tenants who earn their salaries in pesos"

I tried to get some more Chilean pesos for a trip to Chile, no luck with either Argentine pesos or US dollars. Buying any foreign currency, even with other foreign currency is just not allowed. People with stirling AFIP credentials and tourists with ATM receipts have also been refused after going directly to AFIP, confirmed by talking directly to people in these positions.

Effectively, any purchase of foreign currency by any means is not premissible legally or officially.

It is becoming like Venezuela where the government has made it difficult for lawabiding people to function, and they use the chaos for their governing mafia to fix things and make money.

I do not want to go to the blackmarket, so I will just go to Chile and exchange my legally earned (for which I pay taxes) Argentine pesos to buy Chilean pesos at bad rates, and have my previously saved US dollars as backup.

The exchange houses here seem to be catering only to tourists buying pesos or a few Argentineans who have had dollars sent to them by family.

Fortunately, I bought a lot of Chilean pesos and American dollars just before the election with whatever Argentine pesos I had, because I suspected that slut Cristina would pull this stunt.

Those with US dollars are going to be able to have some good bargains, as Argentineans are now desperate to get dollars.

Back