Anyone Else Having Problems With Foreign Atm Cards?

Lulu-Kyoko

Registered
Just received a message from a friend, asking me if I was having problems using the ATMs here. I never use them, so couldn't answer. She said that other foreigners were having difficulties also.

Is this true? Is anyone else having problems withdrawing money from ATMs using a foreign bank card?

My friend is from the UK.

Gracias!

Haven't used mine here in years but my bank back home did at one point block it. I had to call them to get it unblocked so i could use it.

I wouldn't bother using it now. Azimo.com

I will leave out the argument of if she should use atm cards.
1) check that the network of the ATM, is it compatible with her card? (link, banelco are the two common ones here, and they say if they are compatible with certain companies or not.
2) the pin needs to be 4 digits long
3) she should contact the home bank and ask for a list of atms that will work with her card
4) is her problem the amount? the limits on atms here are very small--maybe 1000 pesos per transaction.

Each bank is different. I think Citibank (for arg accounts) is unlimited, at least if you are a gold member. Our bank is 3000 pesos per day, and others are 1000 per day or per transaction. Sometimes the transaction is rejected because you can´t take out the amount, and if your Spanish is limited you might not understand the message.

Back