Anyone Know About Dairy Production In Argentina?

polostar88

Registered
Since it's difficult to find organic dairy I'm thinking of having regular cream and cheese and occasionally milk. I want to know if non-organic milk and dairy is produced the same way it is in the USA, or if it's a better process. In the US it's disgusting and dangerous to eat non-organic milk and dairy, as it is full of antibiotics, hormones, etc.; I would hope that in Argentina even if it's not organic the process won't be quite as industrial/chemical and awful as in the US. I would be especially concerned about antibiotics, hormones, etc., etc.

It's a long shot but maybe someone on this forum knows about the Argentinian dairy industry.

That would be very interesting to know.
Sadly, I don't think here it is any better. If you read the ingredients of 'fresh' milks you can see it even has 5% content of "leche in polvo", plus they add a lot of water to it. We mentioned on the forum a couple of places where you can buy organic dairy products.
One was La Choza: Granomadre Dirección: Repetto 401 (esquina Paunero). Martinez. Teléfono: 4897-0109 Email: [email protected] Horario: Lunes a y de 15:30 a 19:30 hs. Sábados, de 10:30 a 14:00 hs.
I have never visited the place, though.

Even the veggies are full of OGM or from OGM seeds, and I doubt the people selling them really know about these stuffs.

Since it's difficult to find organic dairy I'm thinking of having regular cream and cheese and occasionally milk. I want to know if non-organic milk and dairy is produced the same way it is in the USA, or if it's a better process. In the US it's disgusting and dangerous to eat non-organic milk and dairy, as it is full of antibiotics, hormones, etc.; I would hope that in Argentina even if it's not organic the process won't be quite as industrial/chemical and awful as in the US. I would be especially concerned about antibiotics, hormones, etc., etc.

It's a long shot but maybe someone on this forum knows about the Argentinian dairy industry.

I'm not familiar with the production processes of Argentine dairies re antibiotics, hormones, etc., but as someone who loves to cook, I have no complaints about the dairy products that I buy here. In fact, after ten years in Argentina, still I rave about the quality of milk, cream, butter that I buy at any supermarket. I do a lot of dessert baking that requires these three products, and still my end results come out better than they ever did during the thirty years I lived in Manhattan, where it cost me an arm and a leg to buy the same quality dairy products (farm-fresh stuff, etc.) that I get here without having to spend a fortune.

That would be very interesting to know.
Sadly, I don't think here it is any better. If you read the ingredients of 'fresh' milks you can see it even has 5% content of "leche in polvo", plus they add a lot of water to it. We mentioned on the forum a couple of places where you can buy organic dairy products.
One was La Choza: Granomadre Dirección: Repetto 401 (esquina Paunero). Martinez. Teléfono: 4897-0109 Email: [email protected] Horario: Lunes a y de 15:30 a 19:30 hs. Sábados, de 10:30 a 14:00 hs.
I have never visited the place, though.

Even the veggies are full of OGM or from OGM seeds, and I doubt the people selling them really know about these stuffs.

Thanks Serafina but I'm not going to get in a cab and go there every time I want some cream or whatever. I did once and it's a hassle. I'd like to know about the way the Argentinian dairy industry works normally. In many countries the milk may not be organic, but it's not as bad as it is in the US. I'd like to know if this is the case here too.

Leche in polvo is not good but it's not the same as being full of hormones, antibiotics, or the other nasty stuff in the US non-organic dairy industry.

Did you try a Google search? I just found this.

http://www.bolsonweb.com.ar/diariobolson/detalle.php?id_noticia=25613

Last I checked, they sell organic dairy products at El Galpón in Chacarita (Lacroze stop on the B Line). Unfortunately, it's only open 3 days a week AFAIK (Wed-Fri-Sat?), and the prices can be hefty.

Alternatively, there are still some small towns with milkmen that travel door-to-door, but not in BA.

Good luck!

La Choza products are available in other areas too. Check your local dietetica or natural foods market.

Heck, it's even available on mercadolibre.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-536673030-leche-organica-la-choza-_JM

In fact, after ten years in Argentina, still I rave about the quality of milk, cream, butter that I buy at any supermarket. I do a lot of dessert baking that requires these three products, and still my end results come out better than they ever did during the thirty years I lived in Manhattan, where it cost me an arm and a leg to buy the same quality dairy products (farm-fresh stuff, etc.) that I get here without having to spend a fortune.

What brand do you buy in a super market whose quality is comparable to farm fresh products?
I lived next to a farm before moving here and the milk here is tasteless, watery, and the yogurt sold at the supermarket is that liquid stuff with added flavors because it has nothing in it.
I tried to make cheese at home but it turns out there is not enough milky-fat to solidify into a cheese. Frankly, saying that supermarket in Argentina have high quality dairies is appalling to me.

If you can find the La Choza products, they are absolutely delicious.
Nancy

What brand do you buy in a super market whose quality is comparable to farm fresh products?
I lived next to a farm before moving here and the milk here is tasteless, watery, and the yogurt sold at the supermarket is that liquid stuff with added flavors because it has nothing in it.
I tried to make cheese at home but it turns out there is not enough milky-fat to solidify into a cheese. Frankly, saying that supermarket in Argentina have high quality dairies is appalling to me.

Since I use these three basic dairy products (butter/milk/cream) for cooking, baking, etc., they very obviously have more butterfat content than their equivalents in the US, and that's what counts when I'm cooking. If I'm not mistaken, Serafina, you're from Italy, yes? If I'm correct, then your comparison may be between Argentine and Italian dairy products. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I should clarify that the standard supermarket dairy products available in most US supermarkets simply don't compare to those here in Argentina. In particular, cream and butter here are comparable to those "farm-fresh" products that I used to splurge on in NY. Also, I won't argue the fact that living near places where farm-fresh products are readily available (and thus usually less expensive than in large cities like NY and BA), well, that would be a blessing for anyone who likes to cook!

Back