Organic Dairy, Yogurt

polostar88

Registered
It's been asked before, but where to find? I eat a lot of yogurt normally but just went to Carrefour and they didn't even have plain yogurt, let alone organic. Whole rows just of flavored yogurt. I'd be OK just with normal, unflavored whole yogurt without sugar or sweetener. But I'd prefer organic yogurt and milk and butter. Bonus points for pasture-raised and whatnot. Please advise.

A place to find home-made organic pickles without coloring and preservatives would also be appreciated.

Are a lot of people in Argentina lactose-intolerant or something by the way? Is this the reason they have good meat but not good dairy?

My guess is that the kind of cows used for meat are not good for milk, or that they produce a milk of lesser quality, thus the existence of very altered fresh dairy products (namely yogurt and milk), basically no fresh cheeses, and a lot of seasoned cheeses.
Generally speaking, I find that Argentinians like combined foods more than raw or simpler food.

This gorgeous table of fresh dairy was found in a marriage I attended to in Italy. I so miss that stuff!
(in the back: ricotta, front left: burrata: front right: mozzarella)
ZC5hqPH.jpg

This is as close as we have found in a super http://www.sancor.com/productos/producto-informacion-nutricional?es,0,SEC;19;6;SEC;PRD;170;PRD;, entero, definitely not organic, but not much added. Marketed as "ideal para cocinar" because who the hell would eat plain unsweeted yogurt, right?!

We've been able to use it as a starter for our own homemade yogurt. Apparently some active cultures.

We're tried every natural food store, dietectica etc and haven't found anything. Someone must have it, but probably not one of the major supers.

Suerte!

It's been asked before, but where to find? I eat a lot of yogurt normally but just went to Carrefour and they didn't even have plain yogurt, let alone organic. Whole rows just of flavored yogurt. I'd be OK just with normal, unflavored whole yogurt without sugar or sweetener. But I'd prefer organic yogurt and milk and butter. Bonus points for pasture-raised and whatnot. Please advise.

A place to find home-made organic pickles without coloring and preservatives would also be appreciated.

Are a lot of people in Argentina lactose-intolerant or something by the way? Is this the reason they have good meat but not good dairy?

You can by ingredients that come in a package in a dietetica to make your own organic yogurt.

There is a brand called La Choza that is at Buenos Aires Market, the chacarita market and some health food stores. They have plain yogurt. I don't think it's organic, but it seems they pride themselves in doing things as naturally as possible, grass fed, not cutting the cows horns, etc.

There is a brand called La Choza that is at Buenos Aires Market, the chacarita market and some health food stores. They have plain yogurt. I don't think it's organic, but it seems they pride themselves in doing things as naturally as possible, grass fed, not cutting the cows horns, etc.

What is Buenos Aires Market?

What is El Galpon? Mercado Solidario Bonpland? Places you need to discover!!!
Brands that sell plain yogurt (non-organic) : Yogs, Dahi. (in the pretty glass cups that you can save and reuse)
Yogs is now marketing it as "cooking yogurt" probably because the poor Argentines were spitting it out upon first taste.

I buy 1 Yogs and 1 bag of milk and make 7 cups of homemade yogurt with my nifty Moulinex yogurtera that we got at Fallabella (had a gift cert but otherwise would have been 250 pesos ... 6 months ago). The flavor is plain but you can also put jams or honey at the bottom and then mix it around when you're ready to eat it!!!

I used to buy plain unsweetened yoghurt at the Armenian deli on Scalabrini Ortiz. They make it themselves I think and sell in those clear plastic tubs. I think it is called Damasco, about a block and a half down from Cordoba street walking towards Santa Fe, on the right hand side.

That yogurt is fabulous.
N

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Expat Life 2
H Expat Life 10
camel Expat Life 3
S Expat Life 1
P Expat Life 22
Back