Anyone seen gluten-free bread or broth?

Montrose

Registered
Due to the dietary restrictions of a friend I am going to make a gluten-free Thanksgiving this year. I have seen various gluten-free products in the dieteticas such as alternate flours and even a bread mix but I was wondering if anyone has seen gluten-free bread or broth cubes (knorr ones have gluten...) anywhere?

Those are the two things I haven't found that I would really like. I know I can make them from scratch and will if I have to but it's just more work for an already busy day!

Pretty sure I have seen regular white bread "gluten free". One of the National brands Fango. I will double check next trip to the store. Also there is a Gluten free bakery (I was told its a chain of like 2 or 3) on Thames btwn Honduras and El Salvador, but it looks like mostly desserts, but hey, at Thanksgiving who does not need dessert. Sorry I don't remember the name.

celigourmet does some nice mini baguettes, they don't keep long though.

You can usually pick up decent gluten free stuff in dieticas - but the quality varies. Some of the gluten-free bread is basically compacted dust, and the moment you bite into a slice it turns into floury powder. Not nice. Delfina is a good brand for tasty gluten free bread, usually costs around 12 pesos for mini pre-sliced loaf.

Yeah the bakery was thinking of was Celigourmet. Also, I as in Barrio Chino and this place Casa China (kind of a supermarket) had gluten free noodles and pastas.

Some of the dietéticas carry broth (caldo) and instant soups by the brand "Bon Wert." They come in envelopes instead of cubes. It is currently the only gluten-free broth on the market. Dietética Viamonte http://www.dieteticaviamonte.com.ar/ downtown has a good selection of products for celiacs.

Celigourmet has a four locations and they are primarily a celiac bakery but they also sell other packaged products like potato chips, bread crumbs, etc.

There is a Yahoo Group called "Celiaquía" (actually a misnomer for the name of the disease but who´s counting), and also an organization called ACA http://www.celiaco.org.ar/ if you need more info about how things are classified as gluten free here in Argentina. There is a new labelling law---which I helped lobby for---that has not yet come into effect...

Here gluten free is "sin TACC" (trigo, avena, centeno, cebada) o "apto para celíacos."

If you need more info, feel free to ask...

I used to shop at New Garden - it was close to where I lived - they had a refrigerated white sandwich bread from Tante Gretty that was good - you have to toast it, though. And, I'd go to Dietetica Viamonte to stock up on stuff - they have pizzas, ravioli and if you go, get your friend some orange "madelines" - they are in a plastic bag and are just orange flavored muffins - but thay are probably one of the best gluten free pastries I've had. BA actually has good gluten free food.

Any good suggestions for gluten free restaurants? :) I'm thinking in Palermo and Recoleta. Places relatively close to la facultad de derecho.

In a perfect world, there would be gluten free pizzerias, gluten free medialunas, and gluten free empanadas... just saying (as I drool)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Expat Life 1
J Expat Life 0
Rich One Expat Life 4
M Expat Life 7
B Expat Life 1
Back