Anyone watching the Olympic opening ceremony?

redrum said:
the choice of an evil character such as lord voldemort to represent the tradition of children's literature hardly seems appropriate imho. so harry potter himself wasn't good enough?

of all the characters there are to choose from....

There were representations of both the good and bad guys...Captain Hook, Lord Voldemort and Cruella deVille were all chased away by dozens of Mary Poppins, I thought that part was wonderful!

RachinBA said:
Kretina has boycotted the Olympics because of the Falklands.

Falklands weren't represented - i didnt see their flag in the opening ceremony anyway

btw poignant to see Muhammed Ali so frail

walkingtwig said:
i wonder what that women was saying in his ear the whole time...

It seemed to me she was telling him to wave (I believe it was his wife.) I'm not sure including Ali was really appropriate. It didn't seem like he even knew where he was.

Overall the ceremony was nice if not a bit disjointed. :) I missed the beginning (I saw from Mr Bean onwards) and would like to see it again in its entirety, but it seems like they yanked it from all the usual sources. :p

It might have been nice if they focused a bit more on British heritage, representing the different regions, and not so much focus on popular culture or entertainment (the whole texting popups thing was kind of strange) but at least they did something different. Of course I may have missed that part...

Eclair said:
It might have been nice if they focused a bit more on British heritage, representing the different regions, ..

Yeah there could have been even more flags waving - and kick off a debate about home rule for Cornwall etc etc ... I think not

might be the last time UK of GB and NI appears at the Olympics

Attachments

• look at all these countries i used to own.jpg
    look at all these countries i used to own.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 5
China rules, they are leading comfortably. What a great sports Nation they have become!

PhilinBSAS said:
Yeah there could have been even more flags waving - and kick off a debate about home rule for Cornwall etc etc ... I think not

might be the last time UK of GB and NI appears at the Olympics

Even if Scotland doesn't win independence i think we should compete in the Olympics independently anyway.

If so called "Non-Self Governing Teritories" like Bermuda , British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam can compete why can't Scotland. :confused:

Back