Apartment Rental Fees

jb5

Registered
We are encountering different agents charging different fees for renting furnished apartments/houses.

What is the typical fee paid by the renter?

When I rented with 2 guarantors I paid 2 months of which I believe one was commission and the other deposit. That was some time ago, though. That was for a 2 year rental.

Reactions: jb5
Your best bet is to find an owner to rent from and avoid the fees completely. I don't think that there's a set standard from agents, but from what I've seen they will charge 1 months rent for 6 month contract, and beyond that they will charge 20% of the total arranged time. For less than six months they may charge a fraction of a months rent but this is where I've seen the most variability. For 2 year contracts (normally unfurnished, but who knows) 2 months commission is standard, plus 1 month damage deposit.

Aside from fees expect to put 1 month as a damage deposit and 1 month possible last month's rent (though this isn't asked for that frequently).

How would you suggest finding an owner to rent from directly? We have a few months before we need the long term rental. We have 2 neighborhoods we're targeting and would like to advertise. We're looking for a large, high end rental. Garantia no problem.

Any thoughts on how to do that appreciated.

you can try soloduenos.com, or enbuenosaires.com and just look for the listings that advertise "dueño". Sometimes you can find it in the paper, but it's definitely more scarce. Unfortunately I think that most people here who do rentals are old-school and just work through realtors because that's just "how it's done" and people don't seem to generally be too saavy about marketing their own property. That said, I just chose between two nice apartments that we rented by the owners, it just took some patience and persistence to find them. Good luck.

jb5 said:
We are encountering different agents charging different fees for renting furnished apartments/houses.

What is the typical fee paid by the renter?
Normally one moth's rent as your part of the fee. The dueño pays the same.

The owner of my apartment has just told me that I can have another 6 months but that the rent has gone up by $US 100 a month. He's said I can have another 6 months after that if I want it too (so I am assuming that it will automatically go up again then as well?) Should I expect the rent to go up that much each time ? (The main reason I said okay was that I am reasonably comfortable where I am and thought it would be more expense and time and trouble and effort to find something else whereas paying a bit extra means I don't have to move or do anything...

The present expectation according to real estate dealers I know is 25 percent/year - I know that some owners accept 20 percent rather than risk some months without tennant.

I don't know what neighborhoods you are interested in JB5 but a friend of mine has a beautifully furnished 2/2 loft in the Recoleta that is available for a few months. He is leaving Monday nite so if it is of interest you can catch him before he leaves to see it.

The apt. is about 110 meters, fully renovated, loft ceilings 14 ft. with exposed brick, eat in kitchen, granite counters, mahogony wood floors, double paned floor to ceiling windows.....it's really nice. I'm not sure what the rent is but you can contact him at [email protected] it's the area you're looking for. There is no commission charge dealing directly with the owner. Hope this was helpful.

Back