Apartment rentals outside BA

Ahhemm..

Registered
Hola. Based on information I received from this group a few months ago, I decided that my wife and I could easily afford to live in a small town outside BA.... say Villa Gesell por ejemplo... on our pensions. However in searching the web diligently since then, the lowest rate I could find was $US 1,300 per month for three months for a one bedroom flat in Pinamar. This is ridiculous! I plan to rent my 3 bedroom house with lots of extras in a resort town in Florida, furnished for less than $1,000 per. What is going on down there? Do all Argentinian landlords think all Americans are millionaires or just plain stupid? Or, has inflation really become so out of control that this is the price they must charge to meet expenses. We have about given up. We are looking for a home exchange now and if we can't find one we will choose Ecuador, Peru, Nicaragua, Panama, Bolivia etc. etc. etc. where it's affordable. Your thoughts and suggestions, please.
Thank you,
CWS

Hello,

I found it depends if you are searching for long or short term rental. Short term rental is very expensive.
Long term is 24 months or more and most places ask for a guarantor. Once you start searching for long term rental you will notice the drop in price.
Try www.zonaprop.com.ar/ or www.argenprop.com/

We found a small one bed place with patio nr Belgrano = $400 US and once you move outside BA you really will find a lot more for your money.

Good luck!

Ahhemm.. said:
Do all Argentinian landlords think all Americans are millionaires or just plain stupid?

Unfortunately they do think that. I just had a huge fight with a landlord for the same exact reason. Good Luck!

The price you are quoting is surely for January/Februar, when millions of Argentines go to beach towns like Villa Gesell. Vacation/holiday rental, as I think it is called in English.
I don't think it has to do with them thinking you're rich or stupid.
Try getting a long-term rental and you'll be fine.
There are other nice coastal towns which may be cheaper, like Mar de Ajó and Necochea (both catering Argentine families).

Coastal towns can be nice in summer, with in winter is dead there, in every sense. I would try a middle size city in the pampas, maybe the (relatively) expensive Tandil.
And yes,those are quotes for summer rentals for high class argies.

Actually they are quotes for August 15 through November 15 which I stated specifically, believing that I would get a good off-season rate!
Chuck

Back