Apostille For U.s. Birth Certificate?

Pedalpusher

Registered
I'm fresh off the boat and need to get an apostille certification for my U.S. birth certificate. I thought I read that the U.S. embassy does it here, but when I got here and checked the embassy web site again after the New Year, it looked like they changed some of their links and info. Is there any other way of getting this done without having to send my birth certificate back to the state of origin?

Unfortunately you need to have it done in the state where the birth certificate was issued. I had my mom get a new one and the apostile for me then FedEx it here.

I hate this, but it's like that and no way around it. And if you're from CA like me, double pain ita. Need to first send it to County Clerk, and then to State dept (Sac or LA) to get the apostille. Could take 2 months to have both things done from here.

Yes, I'm from Cali. My parents have a copy of my birth certificate and they already sent it to Sacramento. Why does it have to go to the county clerk first? I requested two certified copies before I left that are already notarized.

In my case (SF) it's just like that. Don't ask me why.
http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=51

I haven't lived in Cali for many years, I hope this doesn't apply to me. I don't think it does since I got my new birth certificates from Sacramento and I'm sending it back there to get the apostille. :huh:

Usually these things are state wide. But if you have your parents there, would be just an extra 30' trip. Issue is when you have to mail everything from here back and forth.

I got the apostille done in California and sent back to Nebraska. My parents sent the documents here to BA to my aunts address in her name, do you think I'll have any problem getting the documents? They sent the documents USPS with tracking, but I'm pretty sure they're going to open the letter and do who knows what with the documents. I told them to put my name on the envelope, but they said it would cause too much attention. I think sending a person their documents without their name on the letter attracts more attention. Does anyone have experience with an issue similar to this?

i got mine with fedex sent from california. No problem at all. it was also quite fast. I had it sent to my office

i got mine with fedex sent from california. No problem at all. it was also quite fast. I had it sent to my office

Can you detail the process a bit please? I'm leaving on 2/12 to Europe. Just have in my hand the official copy, need to have it signed by County Clerk and then by Secretary of State for the apostille. Any chance that I get it on time if I do it tomorrow? Can I have it sent to Europe? How much did it cost you?

Back