Apple Pie Recipe

Proper American Apple Pie is made with a crust on the top and bottom - we use lots of butter, sugar, canela and a lot of apples (about 6 or 7). A recipe that I like is this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/deep-dish-apple-pie-recipe2.html
Use two different types of apples - red (I found the gaucho to be ok) and green.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes! (remember best served warm with side of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream)

Our family uses a crumble topping, rather than a crust, and it has always beaten the living shit out of a crust-on-top pie. My cousin used to request one every year for her birthday.

Other important parts:
-tart apples
-lemon
-sugar
-cinnamon

That's about it. Start with an awesome crust (check) and end with a scrumptious crumb topping (check), and you've got the pie that will be finished first at any potluck event.

If you guys know how to make a light, flaky, crispy pie crust without Crisco, I'd sure like to know! I brought down three stick of Crisco last time I was in the States but haven't had time to make a good pie here.

Someone once told me there's a good Crisco substitute here (NOT LARD! - doesn't work) but I can't remember what it's called.

The butter/sugar crumble topping is the best!

Only apple pie I ever had in the UK (in Aberdeen Scotland) didn't hold a crumb to what my mother makes! ;) Maybe they do better down south? hehe

My two cents:

Use of a good southern recipe is recommended, and add raisins soaked at least overnight in brandy, and throw in some walnuts. Mix all the ingredients before adding to the crust and covering.

They have a Crisco here.

I only use butter in my crumb topping and my apple pie will beat the shit out of anyone's here.

Sorry to offend. I don't brag, I just state facts.

They have a Crisco here.

I only use butter in my crumb topping and my apple pie will beat the shit out of anyone's here.

Sorry to offend. I don't brag, I just state facts.
I need to authenticate your claim, when can I pickup my pie?

hints on where to get crisco? pretty please

I said "a Crisco", not the actual brand "Crisco". I can't remember off hand, but I'll look the next time I'm in a supermarket.

1) It is in the shape of a 4-in-1 stick size of butter, not in a bucket.
2) They keep it near the butter in the refrigerated area.

Dude, don't do it!

Hydrogenated oils are horribly bad for you. It;s not even food, and your body doesn't know what to do with it. Use butter or vegetable oil.
This is probably true. That being said, our family's crust recipe calls for the fake stuff and it makes a flaky f***ing crust.

well I been making pies and biscuits and all that stuff with butter for years now, I figure one round of crisco for old times sake would be fun.

Back