Applying For Argentine Citizenship (Argentine Spouse)

I began this process in 1985 under the old law, and sadly it is still "en tramite". Perhaps I will finally be domiciled in Chacarita when completed. When I went to Migraciones in Antartida Argentina about 1990 for my DNI they told me that they had lost all of my documents that were originals that were translated and certified, at great cost to me. Since then I have given up, but I do have an old U.S. passport with an Argentine visa as "residente permanente" stamped in it, so that I do not have to pay for a visa on entry. I think I will let it go at that, but I would have liked to have citizenship and an Argentine passport. I own an apartment in Buenos Aires, and if I ever sell it, it will be taxed as a foreign owned property.

I wanted to add that I married an Argentine woman in 1983, and we have been happily married (most of the time ;) ) for almost 30 years. After buying an apartment in Caballito I wanted to become a permanent resident, and a citizen if possible. That was long before the new and liberalized immigration laws. I had a local attorney petition residency for me and later our children through the consulate in Houston, where I also had an apartment. After several months we were told to go to the Argentina Consulate in Houston, where our passports were given a visa for "Residente Permanente". Upon return to Buenos Aires I was required to have (for our DNI) my marriage certificate (we were married in Buenos Aires (no translation required for registro civil document). I spent all day at the comisaria de policia nacional to get fingerprinted. I had my US birth certificate translated, apostiled by the secretary of state. I went to the Houston Police Dept. and got a letter signed by the Chief of Police (later a national politician) of anticedents, saying that I had no police record there. I also had those made for my children. All in all I had spent over US $ 1000 in translations and certifications. After all of that was collected we went to Migraciones and turned them in. We were told to return in 4 weeks for our DNI. When we returned our oldest daughter got her DNI, but all our other records were lost. After the laws changed a few years ago, my wife has asked us to become citizens por vincula. After reading this, I am not sure if it will be much easier, and wonder if there is much sense it going through such a procedure once again.

Well I am documenting my experience here from start to finish so people in similar situation can make the decision of whether to pursue citizenship or not. Hope these posts help.

Argentines keep telling me they (the courts, imigraciones, etc.) do not like immigrants. So I can believe about during the military dictatorship. I am also told a lot that Argentines resent immigrants. I sure don't feel it. Everyone here is so sweet to me. If they resent me it is well hidden. And I LOVE them! I met my Argentina friend in Starbucks lately for coffee. At the counter I was speaking spanish (such as it is) and the woman taking the order was speaking her English (such as it was) and everyone behind the counter was laughing. My friend said, "they are laughing at you in derision but you don't realize it." No I don't feel that at all and I laugh as well. As I prepared to leave the counter she told me it was nice to meet me and I told her "El gusto es mio!" So maybe I'm resented and just too dumb to figure it out (giggle-giggle). And who cares? I'm having a great time! I will add that this Argentina friend is pretty negative, and has nothing but criticism for her fellow Argentines. But . . . another Argentina woman told me today that if someone says please and thank you, they are NOT from Buenos Aires. Same criticism toward her fellows. So . . . I don't know . . . . . .

Captain Mcd, I don't think mine could hardly have been easier. Of course I don't have it yet so maybe better not brag too soon. I've spent a lot more than you. I was told I had to have permanent and then be here two years before I could qualify for citizenship. I had an attorney for every one of those years except since I had permanent and I have an attorney now. It was with this attorney I found out I was actually eligible in 2009. That is often a problem here, bad information. I don't mean just in Argentina either!!!!! I mean South America--and Central America. I don't know what it is. It has taken me a while to get used to South American ways. I'm so sorry you had all those problems.

Well, regarding expendichures, one of the issues is the edicts. It cost between 150 up to 5000 pesos.

Timming, 2 years is normal. But there are judges who delays about 6. The new judges works a lot better because they don t make it difficult at purpose and citizenship can be granted in less than a year. My records is 7 months.

Regards

I got my Arentine citizenship very recently and even got my new DNi as a Argentine citizen. Feels so good and proud of it. Thank you Argentina for all the good things you have given me . Love you.

Bajo, how long had the person lived here that got theirs in 7 months?

I got my Arentine citizenship very recently and even got my new DNi as a Argentine citizen. Feels so good and proud of it. Thank you Argentina for all the good things you have given me . Love you.

Ceviche, CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment! Can you tell us in detail how you got your DNI (and passport if you have) once you received your Carta de Ciudadania (assuming you got in Capital Federal)?

Ceviche, CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment! Can you tell us in detail how you got your DNI (and passport if you have) once you received your Carta de Ciudadania (assuming you got in Capital Federal)?

After receiving the "letter of citizenship", I had my appointment book at :

" 25 de Mayo"

using website :

http://turnos.mininterior.gov.ar/turnosWeb/

Its very easy to get the same day appointment.

You have to take a print out of the appointment.

After reaching 25 de mayo, their is heavy security there. The guard looks at the print out of the turno, and then you go inside the first desk on left side. Show them the letter of citizenship, and tell them you have to apply for DNI.

They would give you a turno no. Then you await the number to come.

When your number comes, you go to that window and show them the letter of citizenship. They will look at it very carefully. Then they will ask you for your DNI from residency. In my case, I did not have. I had applied straight after 24 months of living in Argentina. Then the clerk asks you for your passport. Then she takes the letter of citizenship and your passport to some senior officer in the office. What transpires inside, you can not see. Then she comes back, with letter of citizenship "authenticated" by the senior officer.

Now you are asked to pose for your photo. All your finger prints on a electronic scanner ( similar as on the airport) is taken. You are asked your address, your marital status, and mobile number. You give it all.

They send me to another window to pay 35 pesos. I do it and return with a receipt to them.

Then you are given a printout with a reference number. You can follow the status of your DNI on the web.

Then you return home.

Within 24 hours of my doing this procedure, I got a sms on my mobile phone that my DNI has been sanctioned.

I was expecting my DNI to arrive in next 3-4 days. It does not. I head back to 25 de Mayo office. Initially the policeman does not allow me to go inside as I do not have a web appointment. Eventually I go inside. They tell me, that the DNI has been dispatched through "OCA". They ask me to pursue matter through "OCA".

I headed for OCA main office. There , they look in computer and say it has not arrived with OCA as yet. As per them, my DNI has left the 25 de Mayo office and has reached OCA but it is in the process of being packed in a envelope which takes few days.

After few days, I again call up OCA and ask them, they say that the DNI is packed in a envelope, it may take a few days to reach. I tell them that I need to use it urgently, can they send it fast? They agree.

Next morning, the OCA postman comes to y building . He is a arrogant guy. he refuses to come to my door. I have to go down with the "reciept" given to me by the clerk at 25 de Mayo office, down to meet the postman on the street. He hands over me the DNI looking at my receipt.

Now I go back to my apartment and go back to :

I am informed that if I want a fast passport, I go to :-

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar

Here, I have to create a user name and password. They I pay 900 pesos via a foreign credit card, and get a reference number.

Then I go back to :

Then I book a appointment same day, take a printout and head to 25 de Mayo. Yet again.

The guard looks at my web appointment printout and lets me in.

I go inside, head for the first desk at left. They give me a window number and ask me to wait my turn. On my appointment page, they write "passport express' in bold.

I await my turn and then go to the window. Waiting time 5-10 minutes.The clerk takes my dni and my receipt from the web showing that I have paid 900 pesos. They underline and tick mark "passport express" written by the other window. Then the usual drill. My photos and finger prints yet again. My address, marital status, mobile no. asked yet again. Then a receipt with a reference number is given to me. I head back home around 11 am that day

Within one hour, I reach home, I get a message on my mobile phone that my passport is issued. I think "oh, its a joke...The passport will arrive after 10 days just like the dni". But guess what, "express means express". At 6 pm, the OCA postman arrived at my door. He stands on the street and tells the guard of my building to mee him on the street with my receipt. I go to the street and I meet him and he hands over me, my passport. So I get my passport 7 hours.

I got my DNI in 10 days.

I hope the detailed explanation is of some use to you guys. As Their is lot of information on this forum about citizenship process, but nothing on what happens after. So here it is!

I recently traveled abroad using my new passport. ( I could have used the DNI too). But I like to use the passport to have clear evidence of my arrival and departure stamps in one place.

Let me know if you guys have any queries.

Suerte.

I LOVE ARGENTINA.

Back