Applying For Argentine Dni

johnexpat

Registered
Hi all, I am new here so apologies if anyone has already discussed this issue.

I read a few of the other threads and it seemed as though no-one really covered my specific issue so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

I am coming over to Buenos Aires to live in January/February of next year, and would clearly be looking to apply for Argentine citizenship. However, I understand that a British criminal record form is necessary in order to go through with the process. My problem is that I have a caution for a minor offence from 2010. Clearly it's not a conviction (but still a caution), and I assume it will show up in some way on my criminal record for the next two years or so (not sure about the ins and outs of when it gets 'wiped' off the record, if ever!).

If this caution does show up on my record, is it going to be much harder to obtain the Argentine DNI? Is there any way I can get round this? If i can be sponsored by a company etc would that help? Or character references?

Any help would be great, am quite worried that it won't be worth coming out if I am unable to get the DNI!

Can't really be of too much help, but my lawyer did say it makes it a lot harder if you have a criminal record at all. But it literally changes every month, so I strongly recommend you talk to an immigration lawyer (here in Buenos Aires) about the current climate to get a good opinion.

As I am no expert , but it would seem a minor caution should not be an issue. As mentioned above seek legal counsel here while doing the process. You may want to go ahead and request such record and see if it is actually there , and provide that to a lawyer.

Not sure about whether I qualify or not? I currently live in U.K but am interested in coming out to BA to look for work ideally, so am assuming I would need a DNI to find work. Just wondering if its worth it if I would be unable to get DNI. thanks for the advice jdr and cbonanni, seems like best idea would be to try and get hold of a lawyer out there!

You need residency to get the DNI. What category are you applying under? I doubt the caution will make a difference

I think the caution should be fine, but am guessing. You do need to be eligible for residency / DNI. If you look at the following (has English & Spanish options) you'll see the requsites for obtaining the aforementioned:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_permanente

If you dont qualify you would need to get sponsored to work...that would not be easy. Otherwise you can work off the books as a permatourist (english teacher, maybe bar work etc) but you would need to plan to live frugally and come with some money.

How is your spanish? What is attracting you over ?

Spanish is relatively good, have worked in Spain before so don't think that will be an issue. Have friends who are going out now too, and I have always liked the idea of working in South America. Permatourist option could be a good one short term, then I guess I will have to look at work/sponsorship in the long term. What is the situation like there in terms of jobs? As a British person with good spanish and a relatively good c.v (for someone in their mid-20s), would it be possible to find some sort of long term work out there?

Thanks for the help guys really appreciated.

John, it wont be easy as you are fairly young ( no offence), you'd need to bring something that a local candidate couldnt and at your age It would be hard to argue for experience. Tell us what field you're in and someone can tell you about the local press. English teaching is of course an option, I have no experience of that. Most of us appear to be here through work placement, marriage or retired / semi retired permatourists.

Back