Applying For Argentine Dni

Hi all, I am new here so apologies if anyone has already discussed this issue.

I read a few of the other threads and it seemed as though no-one really covered my specific issue so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

I am coming over to Buenos Aires to live in January/February of next year, and would clearly be looking to apply for Argentine citizenship. However, I understand that a British criminal record form is necessary in order to go through with the process. My problem is that I have a caution for a minor offence from 2010. Clearly it's not a conviction (but still a caution), and I assume it will show up in some way on my criminal record for the next two years or so (not sure about the ins and outs of when it gets 'wiped' off the record, if ever!).

If this caution does show up on my record, is it going to be much harder to obtain the Argentine DNI? Is there any way I can get round this? If i can be sponsored by a company etc would that help? Or character references?

Any help would be great, am quite worried that it won't be worth coming out if I am unable to get the DNI!

Just to be sure you understand the sequence of getting the DNI...

If and when you find a job (en blanco) in Argentina, the business must registered with migraciones to hire foreigners and must submit the required documentation on your behalf.

Your criminal report should not be dated more than 60 days prior to your arrival in Argentina. I suggest you have it with you when you arrive.

If you find a job (en blanco) your employer will help you apply for a work visa and they will also take your criminal report into consideration.
Migraciones could say no problem in regards to your "caution" but an employer could say no job.

If they decide to offer you a job and migrciones grants residencia temporaria (in this case aka a "work visa") you will then be issued a DNI.

The DNI is not something you can just get and then go looking for a job. And character references are not required or accepted by migraciones.

Citizenship is completely different from residency. Residency is granted by migraciones. Citizenship is granted by the federal couts.

You will not be able to begin the process to obtain Argentine citizenship for at least a year after you arrival (unless you've lived here before) and your criminal record will be considered for that (by a federal judge) as well. It will take an additional year to get citizenship. If you don't first have residency and a DNI you will need a lawyer who is experienced in getting citizenship for foreigners without a DNI to plead your case.

If you enter the words "work visa" in an advanced search you will find several threads with more specific info. You also may find the thread "Argentine Citizenship for Foreigners" relevant.

Hi all, I am new here so apologies if anyone has already discussed this issue.

I read a few of the other threads and it seemed as though no-one really covered my specific issue so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

I am coming over to Buenos Aires to live in January/February of next year, and would clearly be looking to apply for Argentine citizenship. However, I understand that a British criminal record form is necessary in order to go through with the process. My problem is that I have a caution for a minor offence from 2010. Clearly it's not a conviction (but still a caution), and I assume it will show up in some way on my criminal record for the next two years or so (not sure about the ins and outs of when it gets 'wiped' off the record, if ever!).

If this caution does show up on my record, is it going to be much harder to obtain the Argentine DNI? Is there any way I can get round this? If i can be sponsored by a company etc would that help? Or character references?

Any help would be great, am quite worried that it won't be worth coming out if I am unable to get the DNI!

Forget about residency.
No problem for citizenship.
Regards

Thanks for the help Steve, useful advice. Obviously will have to go through all those stages!

Bajo_cero, when you say "Forget about residency", does that mean you think it impossible, even after going through the stages that Steve explained, for me to ever achieve residency?

The immigration office is like a gun with one bullet.
I have many cases where they were found non guilty but to be under criminal ibvestigaton was enough.

Back