Apt. Rental in Pesos...?? Light Blue Rate..??

Argento said:
I wonder if that byt 5 peso rate is a result of an approximate average of the official and the blue rate? For example, apprx. 4.5 + 6.4 = 10.9 / 2 = 5.5 (slightly higher than byt but equals what the original poster mentioned)
I suppose that seems fair for both renter and landlord. Or are the landlords supposed to be using the official rate.
I'd say, definitely do not accept a fully blue rate, especially if you can't get your pesos at a good rate.

Argento, I just spoke to ByT yesterday and you are correct. They calculate an average between the "official" bank rate and the blue market rate. I thought that seemed fair as well and went ahead and booked my next six months with them. We have rented from ByT many times before on past trips and their staff has always been very professional and service oriented (even by U.S. standards). I thought it wiser to go with a fair deal with a familiar broker than try to navigate the crap shoot of BsAs apartment hunting with shady brokers and uncooperative owners. (Haven't been impressed the ones I've contacted.) With ByT it was very simple. I just saved myself a lot of time and frustration which is, to me, priceless. :)

TheBlackHand said:
Th real rate is the blue rate. Would anybody here accept anything less than the blue rate for their dollars ??? If not why do you think an owner should ??

Because your opinions aren't based on any other logic than " fuck everybody else except me " which is a perfectly fine attitude to have. Just don't expect an owner to go out of their way to accommodate your self centered attitude though.

If you don't like the rate. then look for another property or owner. There is nothing illegal about asking for the real world value of something.

I agree EXCEPT for the fact that the OP said that the owner agreed ahead of time to the white rate. I think owners can/should charge whatever they want. But once they come to an agreement on terms or price, they should stick to it.

Back