Are Argentines Promiscuous?

Are Argentines More Promiscuous?

• I'm Argentine and I believe We are MORE Promiscuous than is Average in the World

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Argentine and I believe We are LESS Promiscuous

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I'm Argentine and I believe We are the SAME

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I'm a North American and believe Argentines are MORE Promiscuous

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I'm a NA and believe Argentines are LESS Promiscuous

• I'm a NA and believe Argentines are the SAME

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I'm a Euro-pat and believe Argentines are MORE Promiscuous

• I'm a Euro-pat and believe Argentines are the LESS Promiscuous

• I'm a Euro-pat and believe we are the SAME

• I'm from elsewhere and believe MORE

• I'm from elsewhere and believe LESS

• I'm from elsewhere and believe the SAME

• No Opinion

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Promiscuity-by-Country.png

As we can see Argentines rank high in Promiscuity.

Although Argentina has lost it's G-20 ranking, it's in the G-Spot-10 and rising.

What's the deal with Kiwis?

Did they tell the Kiwis that sheep don't count?

I wonder what is considered promiscuous on that table/ranking? Unprotected sex? Multiple partners? Cheating? It is just not very clear.

There's a very famous cafe at Cordoba and Carlos Peligrini called Cafe Exedra. At night, particularly after about 11:00 PM or so, if you see a woman there it is more probable that she is a prostitute than not. You can see men going there, in full public view, to sit and talk with the girls and many times they leave to go to telos nearby (which are very common throughout the city).

On many (most?) blocks throughout the city (at least downtown and surrounding neighborhoods) there are "privado" apartments where men go to see prostitutes, brought into an anteroom and lined up for their choice.

There are a number of clubs throughout the city, and heavily concentrated in Recoleta and Microcenter (although a number of them have closed recently) where men can go to sit and talk with prostitutes in a club environment, make deals and then leave to go to a telo.

BTW - remember that prostitution is a constitutionally-protected right in Argentina - although pimps are not allowed. The privados are not really legal because of this. The clubs make money from the drinks the girls talk the guys into buying (really, really expensive, but it's known what's going on, obviously). Something like Cafe Exedra, and a bar called New Port in Recoleta (at night) are exactly what the constitution was talking about.

I know two Argentinos (acquaintances) who are currently having affairs with younger women. While both are supporting the girls in some fashion, one actually pays for her apartment and university and bought her a car.

My brothers-in-law (ranging from 20 to 27), most of whom work in verdulerias (around Constitucion and Parque Patricios) are accosted all the time by older women (and some of them are really old - in their 80s). They have been offered everything from cellphones to computers to having university paid for, to have sex with them.

Sex is thought of very differently here. I've heard an Argentine woman say "I don't care if he's out screwing someone else as long as I don't know about it and it doesn't get back to my friends". (and have heard that it is a not uncommon attitude but can't confirm that)

Yeah, I think Argentinos are more promiscuous than where I come from. And I'm not saying even that that's a bad thing (except I can't help feeling anxious when it comes to my sisters-in-laws who are like daughters to me!!!).

I thought prostitution was the oldest profession and spread all over the world. I think in the US is just too expensive and socially condemned. I for one do not see anything wrong when 2 consenting adults, with no other compromise exchange a service for money. I actually don't think that is promiscuous, if they have protected sex.

Maybe the studies tell otherwise, but I don't find Argentines particularly promiscuous. I find most my friends and co-workers (from both genders) rather sexually conservative and reserved. From what they tell me, casual sex is not that common. Argentines are not prude, but I certainly don;t get them impression of them being a bunch "dogs in heat" either.

Oh, I have no problem with prostitution myself, as long as both adults are consenting, as you say. But protected sex, I don't think, is part of the equation of promiscuity, though seeking to have sex with prostitutes (assuming one doesn't always go to the same prostitute) does fit the definition.

According to Mirriam-Webster online dictionary: Promiscuity: having or involving many sexual partners. Although a second definition does add "including or involving too many people or things : not limited in a careful or proper way" which might begin to include the protected sex aspect.

One thing I didn't add when I was talking about prostitution AND the offers my brothers-in-law receive, which is important to my argument and I simply forgot to mention it: Most of the men and women involved in looking for sex are married...i.e., at least multiple partners.

And many of the young people I know have sex with multiple partners, even when "going out" with a particular person.

By definition promiscuous. But judging promiscuity is a cultural thing, not an absolute like being against murder or robbery. I don't have a problem with promiscuity, myself (except, again, when it comes to my "daughters"!)

I think the men can tend to be more sexually promiscuous, but that's usually the way it is. I'm not sure there's a lot of "touch-and-go" culture (as they call it) here, aside from the young university clubbing scene, but I don't know. Maybe the high promiscuity number is from cheating or short relationships. There sure are a lot of telos around. :p

I wonder what is considered promiscuous on that table/ranking? Unprotected sex? Multiple partners? Cheating? It is just not very clear.

Apparently it's a test given and those are the country averages. :)

If anyone cares to take it...

Here are the seven numbers that were added together to get your promiscuity measure:
  • The number of sexual partners you have had in the last year, multiplied by five.
  • The number of sexual partners you see yourself having in the next five years (realistically, not optimistically, and no greater than 30).
  • The number of one-night-stands you have had, multiplied by five.
  • On a scale of one to eight where one is “never” and eight is “every day”, how often do you fantasize about someone other than your current/most recent partner, multiplied by four.
  • On a scale of 1 (strongly disagree) to 9 (strongly agree) how would you agree with the statement “Sex without love is OK”. Multiply that number by 0.66.
  • Same as above but with the statement “I can imagine myself being comfortable and enjoying casual sex with different partners”. Again it needs to be multiplied by 0.66.
  • On a (new) scale of 1 (strongly agree) to 9 (strongly disagree) how would you agree with the statement “I would have to be closely attached to someone (both emotionally and psychologically) before I could feel comfortable and fully enjoy having sex with him or her”. Multiply that number by 0.66.

Back